Which Greek island would suit us?

(25 Posts)
ImNotReallyHere Tue 10-May-16 15:27:07

Hope someone out there can help us decide.

We have settled on Greece for 2 weeks in August. Could be a mix of mainland and island or a couple of islands.
DH likes exploring and history
I would like beach hotel , pool and things to keep the kids happy.

The only thing we agree on is that we don't want somewhere full of Brits (just not our thing although do appreciate everywhere will be busy in August) and whilst would like a hotel complex for second week, don't want to be AI as would like to venture out.

Any recommendations for somewhere that could keep us both happy?
Does a place even exist?

Ancienchateau Wed 11-May-16 08:13:05

Peloponnese or Crete spring to mind.

ImNotReallyHere Wed 11-May-16 10:48:18

Thanks - any recommendations on which places in either are best?

SooticaTheWitchesCat Wed 11-May-16 13:05:51

Stoupa on the mainland is lovely

northernlad Wed 11-May-16 13:11:23

Paros or Naxos are both wonderful with beaches to die for . Each island has lovely towns and villages steeped in history. Was in Paros last year and rarely saw another Brittish family. No direct flights from Uk but ferry from Pireus is no hassle i've done it when my kids where just babies

Ancienchateau Wed 11-May-16 15:16:31

The Peloponnese is steeped in history for your DH to explore. Beaches-wise, as SooticaTheWitchesCat says, The Mani is lovely. Pylos and around also v nice. Lots of history too - site of Battle of Navarino for example, a bit more recent than Olympia grin

Crete is also great for history of course - Spinalonga and Knossos in the NE, the whole town of Chania. There's also the Samaria gorge if you fancy a bit of a trek. Beaches are best in the south these days imo. There are some quite remote ones but I recommend places like Plakias and Paleohora.

ImNotReallyHere Thu 12-May-16 11:22:16

Thanks ladies. Based on your replies, I think we will do one week mainland in the Peloponnese (although DH came home last night saying a colleague had mentioned Halkadiki?).

Looking at places on Crete, Naxos or Paros for second week.
Where in Crete would you advise Ancien? Elounda has been mentioned on an old thread..

Ancienchateau Thu 12-May-16 11:40:16

Maybe around Chania, to the West? The North /East is very over-developed/clubby in areas. If you can though I really recommend heading to South Crete - Plakias and Paleohora to name but a few places to search for. Off the beaten (package tourist) route a bit but so worth it. I recommend flying to Chania or Heraklion from Athens then hiring a car. Elounda is North near to Malia.

OnyK Thu 12-May-16 18:08:46

We're going to the Peloponnesse this summer, not been before though.

I agree that the Chania area of Crete is lovely...lots of little resorts reasonably near the city. We had booked to stay in Gerani, but ended up in Ag Marina, as our accommodation was over booked!

ImNotReallyHere Mon 16-May-16 11:47:02

Thanks all for your replies. We have settled on Crete for the second week. Going off your replies I think we will go to the Peloponnese first. Any recommendations where to base ourselves.? Where are you going OnyK? Has anyone else been?

notagiraffe Mon 16-May-16 11:53:21

Naplion is gorgeous.

notagiraffe Mon 16-May-16 11:54:13

Sorry: Nafplio.

EssentialHummus Mon 16-May-16 12:01:10

Chania in Crete is absolutely gorgeous and very family-friendly. We stay in a village/area on the coast called Kato Stalos, about 5km from the Venetian port area of Chania itself. There's plenty of self-catering and catered accommodation on the beach in low-rise, family-run, not "sunloungers at dawn" type hotels. The area itself is quiet, with only one or two supermarkets, but you can drive or hop on a bus to Chania proper for meals out and exploring. Highly recommended! I'm turning into one of those people who go to the same place each year as DP and I can't resist Crete.

ImNotReallyHere Mon 16-May-16 13:11:12

Ooh
Thanks.

I'll check out Nafplio. Stoupa was mentioned up thread but struggling to find somewhere to stay there. We are two families so 8 in total, with kids age 9.10,12,12 . Last couple of years we have stayed in remote villas up in the hills but the kids do get a bit stir crazy so want somewhere with a bit going on.
Plan is to fly to Athens and back from Crete.

Will have a look around Chania for week 2.

EssentialHummus Mon 16-May-16 13:18:40

Not sure about your budget, but hotels/apartments we've loved in Kato Stalos:

Ammos Hotel
Marakas Beach
Hermes Beach Studios

Should all be on TripAdvisor / Booking.com

OnyK Mon 16-May-16 14:15:57

ImNotReallyHere We're staying in a little village called Chrani. Not much there, which suits us fine!

ImNotReallyHere Mon 16-May-16 14:56:11

Is it worth me checking out Halkadiki or is the Polonnese area better?

Thanks Essential. We are currently thinking of a villa in Crete but hotels the first week. Will search around Kato Stalos area though.

ImNotReallyHere Mon 16-May-16 14:58:09

I think our budget is around 3-4K for 2 weeks including flights and car hire - does that sound realistic for 2 weeks?

Ancienchateau Mon 16-May-16 15:01:26

This place is nice in Kardamili here We stayed in the penthouse which was pretty big, 3 bedrooms and a living area iirc.

Ancienchateau Mon 16-May-16 15:06:52

I would always choose Peloponnese over Halkadiki but have personal reasons for that(!) and it depends what you want. Halkadiki is further north. Yes, you can find places for your budget but the trouble now is that everything is booked so effing far in advance.

Ancienchateau Mon 16-May-16 15:13:56

I've also stayed here in Kardamili Vardia which was nice. Up a track, away from the town/village. Kardamili is very near to Stoupa which is a nice sandy beach. Kardamili beach is pebbles but still nice. There are lots of little bays that you can get to quite easily esp if you have a car. Last time I was there (5 years ago) I was surprised at the number of expats living there or buying second homes.

OnyK Mon 16-May-16 16:24:49

Our holiday is around £2K for 2 weeks SC and flights for 4 of us, so your budget sounds realistic, if you're happy with basic accommodation. Not sure how much flights between the areas cost though. You might be better off flying to/from Athens...or would you go by ferry?

OnyK Mon 16-May-16 16:40:03

Just checked and flights from Chania to Athens are really cheap. A bit of a drive from Athens to the Stoupa area though.
Are you aware that many Greeks holiday in the Peloponnese in August? I read that Stoupa in particular gets really busy...not sure if that's the sort of place you're after?

Tam2016 Sat 21-May-16 20:42:41

Hi
I would recommend staying in a villa to the west of Crete as everything is very accessible. We stayed at Spiti in Kissamos and it was fabulous. I wrote a review about it.
Have a good holiday!

Graceymac Sat 21-May-16 20:50:19

I would recommend Marathi in Crete, it is a small village set in a bay at the end of a mountain road. There are 5 fantastic tavernas and two beautiful beaches. I rented a villa literally on the beach, it was amazing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now