Talk

Advanced search

Italy with a toddler

(6 Posts)
Stressbot3000 Sat 07-May-16 18:30:14

Am thinking for holidays (prob next year) and would love to go to Italy. I think it would really work for our dd who is almost 2.5 so would be 3.5 next summer.
My sister went to Rome years ago but I think that would be too much with a toddler.
Im thinking somewhere close to the sea so there is a beach to play on, but also where there are things to do (aquarium, parks etc)
Also lots of yummy pasta, pizza, gelato and if it's near the sea fresh seafood.
Any suggestions?

juneau Sun 08-May-16 17:37:42

We've been to the Adriatic coast with kids and its got nice beaches and the sea is a like a warm bath in July/Aug. Very gentle shallow water too. The Med side is not as good IMO unless you go somewhere like Elba. Another area you might consider is Puglia, down in the heel of Italy. Very hot in high summer, but lovely in June/Sept.

And no, I probably wouldn't go to Rome with a 3.5-year-old. City breaks aren't impossible with a DC that age, but you have to make sure there are plenty of parks, ice creams, zoos and DC-friendly stuff thrown in. Ruins, museums and toddlers generally aren't a good mix.

allegretto Tue 10-May-16 15:35:31

Riccione! It has water parks, aquarium, trips out, beaches and is very child-friendly.

Foodefafa Tue 10-May-16 15:42:59

We took DD to Rome when she was 4. She bloody loved it mostly thanks to Horrible Histories!

We then drove to Amalfi stopping at a water park for a day. Amalfi was amazing but I didn't know just how hilly it was and it was definitely challenging for little legs mine included.

The food everywhere we went was perfect for kids imo.

Misty9 Thu 12-May-16 09:49:59

We've just been to lake Garda with dc aged 2 and 4.5 and I'd definitely recommend it for young families. Loads to do, from parks to cable cars to boat rides, also theme parks if you like that sort of thing (mine don't) and LOTS of amazing gelato!
We stayed in a mobile home on a campsite in Peschiera del Garda and would recommend that too. Very cheap out of season. The Italians love kids too.

Behooven Thu 12-May-16 19:37:53

Peschiera is one of my lifelong favourites too!

Caorle up the coast from Venice is lovely as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now