Talk

Advanced search

Car hire companies in Majorca

(26 Posts)
millimat Sun 24-Apr-16 09:06:38

Are there any you'd recommend / avoid?
Prices vary from £40-£230 for the same size car for a week, collecting from the airport!

mcdog Sun 24-Apr-16 09:27:54

Following because we are in exactly the same situation. It's a minefield!!

Only1scoop Sun 24-Apr-16 09:33:52

Watch out in Majorca

We were stung once on a fuel catch.

You were charged for a full tank of fuel on pick up, at their inflated prices and were to bring the car back empty.

We were only there a few days and hardly used any. Made the 'cheap deal' Quite expensive. Read the small print for the location fuel clause.

It was through a large company as well, sorry can't remember which. We have since used others there which have been fine.

IcecreamMachine Sun 24-Apr-16 09:38:45

We used Vanrell last year and were reasonably happy with them. To collect the car we had to go to a desk in the carpark rather than in the airport and when we got there couldn't find anyone but then someone turned up to help and gave us our car. Just a couple of things to watch out for: when you get the car check it thoroughly as we noticed quite a few bumps which weren't noted on the form until we pointed them out. Also we paid for the extra insurance on top of the rental price and were really glad of this as the car was damaged when it was parked overnight in the underground car park in Palma which was supposed to be secure. It looked as though someone had tried to force the door.
Hope this helps. We loved Mallorca so hope you have a great holiday.

weebarra Sun 24-Apr-16 09:39:52

We've used Centauro and Hiper, both good. Might be worth getting a transfer to your resort and hiring there as the airport is always very busy and you can wait for ages.

ThenBellaDidSomethingVeryKind Sun 24-Apr-16 09:43:54

We used Roig here and they were great. Saw lots of other cars around with their sticker in, so seem to be a popular choice...

weebarra Sun 24-Apr-16 10:28:08

Yes, Bella was trying to remember Roig's name! They were good.

BarbaraofSeville Sun 24-Apr-16 12:12:28

Don't use goldcar if that's an option. They are terrible for the fuel rip off and extra insurance fees even though it was supposed to be all inclusive.

We've used Centauro without issue but did have trips out to all 4 corners of the island so used just about all the tank anyway. I think the light came on just as we got back to the car hire place which was extremely satisfying.

millimat Sun 24-Apr-16 15:25:22

I know, the fuel options seem strange. Will avoid the ones mentioned so thank you.
Some are collection from the airport, others need a bus transfer so that will shorten the options.
We've bought flights through Easyjet. There was an option to put car hire on then but it was £200+. Just looked at easycar hire and it's less than half that price!

nancy75 Sun 24-Apr-16 15:29:54

We have used vanrell for the last 10 years, we go a lot so between me & parents have probably hired 40 cars from them. Never had any problems, never been stung for petrol or anything like that

SquirrelledAway Fri 29-Apr-16 16:15:49

We've used Centauro a couple of times and found them to be good - one car got dinged in a car park and we pointed it on return, they just shrugged and there was no charge.

BearPear Fri 29-Apr-16 16:48:23

As mentioned above, avoid Goldcar.
If there's an Auto Reisen I have no problem recommending them.

Badbadbunny Sat 30-Apr-16 19:44:05

I've only ever had one bad experience with car hire and that was at Majorca. We foolishly booked with Record Rent A Car. Suffered a TWO hour queue at the airport desk to get the damn thing (2 people at the counter, who beggared off one at a time for their 1 hr lunchbreaks despite a queue snaking round the airport! And then got given a wreck which had two slow punctures which we kept having to find a garage to fill up - no spare tyre and no jack.

starving Mon 09-May-16 15:44:58

Always check the fuel policy as stated above. We always go full to full then you only pay for what you use. Don't take their over inflated excess insurance. We have an annual policy which costs around £31. Already covered 2 trips this year and will cover annual holiday shortly. We have booked through an agent, rather than direct with companies. I think we used holiday autos the last time we were in Majorca, or holidaycars.com for another trip.
Always check the car before you drive away. I use my mobile phone (which dates and times) the photo just in case there is any query.

strandedabroad Mon 09-May-16 16:01:16

Autoreisen were good for us. Goldcar are cowboys, DH booked them by mistake for a recent holiday and they tried to charge us an extra €250 a few days after drop off (no damage to car, tank was full as agreed, absolutely no sodding reason). Luckily the credit card company are on it and have refunded the charge. I'm surprised they are still in business with all the bad press they get.

Fatheroftoo Sun 15-May-16 03:21:34

Don't use Goldcar!

Stillwaitingforthesummer2come Sun 04-Sep-16 22:49:59

Bumping the thread to see who had used which over the holidays?

BarbaraofSeville Mon 05-Sep-16 10:39:21

We used Hiper, booked through Holiday Autos this time and it was about £60 for a small car for 4 days full-full and they were very good - no hidden charges and no pushing of extra insurance - we buy our own at home. You would need a bigger car for 4 people plus luggage though.

I think Auto Riesen are Canaries/Tenerife only unfortunately.

alwayssurprised Mon 05-Sep-16 21:14:13

We used Alamo, not particularly cheap but full to full fuel with minimal queue. The Record Go queue was very long (maybe about 20 groups) and I felt sorry for the people waiting.

bramblina Mon 05-Sep-16 21:41:42

Centauro- absolutely. The desk is always the quickest to clear, and yes ALWAYS choose the full to full fuel option.

Cocochoco Mon 05-Sep-16 21:48:52

I use Llaser, who leave the car with keys in a designated spot in the airport car park. Cheaper than a lot of companies and I've never had any problems.

Stillwaitingforthesummer2come Mon 05-Sep-16 22:27:54

Is it a shuttle bus to centauro?

bramblina Mon 05-Sep-16 22:35:50

OH NO SORRY!!!! NOT CENTAURO, HERTZ!! HERTZ FOR MAJORCA!!! Yes I think Centauro is a shuttle bus but Hertz were fine- we have used them 3 times in Majorca with no problems. We used Centauro this year from Alicante. Got a claim going on just now for a tiny scratch which has cost us 225 euros.

Portobelly Mon 05-Sep-16 22:49:15

I was about to book goldcar....

Stillwaitingforthesummer2come Tue 06-Sep-16 10:58:33

So not centauro, goldcar (was doubting them anyway as they are too cheap!) or record...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now