Talk

Advanced search

where in Greece

(15 Posts)
pinkerpeony Thu 21-Apr-16 11:49:56

DD & boyfriend would like to go to Greece for a fortnight after A levels.
They've saved about £700 each & I'm happy to give them a few spends.
Their wish list is a sandy beach, some good local tavernas and not needing a car (they're both 18). Not interested in the Clubbing scene.
We've been trying to find a waterside cottage or apartment in a small block.
Somewhere pretty with local transport would be ideal.
Any ideas?

Onykahonie Thu 21-Apr-16 16:30:07

Have a look at Ag Gordios, San Stefanos and Arillas on Corfu or Troulos on Skiathos....all small-medium resorts with sandy beaches.If they want a bit of night life, then Pefkos on Rhodes might suit.

There is a back packers' hostel in Ag Gordios, so more young people holiday in that area.

pinkerpeony Thu 21-Apr-16 16:36:26

Thanks Ony, we'll take a look.

fieldfare Thu 21-Apr-16 16:45:25

Rhodes is beautiful and there's as much or as little as they'd like. We stayed in Rhodes town last year in one of the older more boutique hotels but got a great deal on a cancellation through teletext holidays. The transport is good but it does get busy.
We're going again this year but hiring a villa in Kolymbia as there's a lovely beach, nice tavernas and we really like the local area. Definitely need a car for that one though. Tsampika is just down the road a little from there and if I remember correctly the bus stops nearby. Huge beach with loads to do.

pinkerpeony Thu 21-Apr-16 16:48:44

Thanks so much. They think it would be easier to book a package with flights & trnasfers included, any recommendations apart from Thomsons?

prettybird Thu 21-Apr-16 17:09:50

Have look at Ionian and Aegean Island Holidays - great company that really knows Greece and always excellent service.

We've been to Meganissi Hotel on and off with them for 12 years (the "off" years have only been because we've started on occasion booking direct with the hotel) - love it but don't think it would suit your dd actually, it broke my own criteria the first time we went but.... wink - but they've got lots of lovely other places.

Onykahonie Thu 21-Apr-16 19:58:58

Thomas Cook normally come up cheaper than Thompson ...look for voucher codes too. I wouldn't book anywhere with less than 3* on TripAdvisor, but as they're young, I'm sure they could cope with a basic studio/apt and spend the extra money on trips, meals and drinks!

Onykahonie Thu 21-Apr-16 20:05:22

Kapetanios Apartments in San Stefanos look a good deal on TC t around £750 (for the 2 of them inc flights, transfer and luggage) for a week in July.

crapfatbanana Fri 22-Apr-16 16:31:24

Oh prettybird I'm so jealous. I love the Meganisi Hotel.

crapfatbanana Fri 22-Apr-16 16:56:58

Symi is very pretty, although doesn't really have great sandy beaches. They're pebbly. Fly to Rhodes and transfer on the Symi boat from Rhodes Town.

Poros has sandy beaches. Cheap flight to Athens, ferry from Piraeus (gorgeous journey.) I took a school group there about 17 years ago for water sports and drama workshops. Fab place.

On both Poros and Symi you get around the islands by water taxis.

ChoccyJules Sun 24-Apr-16 11:08:28

Prettybird that company looks great. They don't seem to have many details about the properties though. Do they look after you well, ie provide helplines, arrange decent carhire without salespeople pressurising for add-on insurance etc? Am strongly considering a place near Skopelos, anyone know if it's good for kids?

prettybird Sun 24-Apr-16 13:18:12

I think their recently redesigned moble site makes it more difficult to find the details of the properties. Via my laptop I never had any difficulty getting details.

I did find this on the mobile site, by searching for Skopelos and then chucking through to the accommodation.

They're not into hard sell: iirc, car hire comes as standard with villa hire but as we always go to Hotel Meganisi, we've only organised car hire with them once (when we were going for 2 weeks, so organised car hire for the Wednesday to Wednesday in the middle). Iirc, it was Avis.

Service has always been excellent - both at booking and out there. Transfers were efficient and friendly and the reps on site are locals - often older people than is the norm with "holiday reps".

prettybird Sun 24-Apr-16 13:20:27

Depends what you're looking for for kids - if you're looking for somewhere to chill out, enjoy each other's company, go for walks, swim, explore, then it'll be fine.

If you're looking for kids' clubs and organised entertainment, then I don't think any of their properties are suitable.

bringbacksideburns Sun 24-Apr-16 13:29:32

Sissi in Crete is lovely. Chilled out but great places to eat. Very pretty.

Anixi apartments are good but get booked up very quickly

ChoccyJules Sun 24-Apr-16 17:01:16

Thanks, it's looking like a possibility. There's a pool and a ferry to Skiathos so we could do daytrips there too. Quite excited!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now