Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a Greek island for a holiday this summer?

(19 Posts)
TwentyOneGuns Sun 17-Apr-16 07:43:22

We haven't been abroad for a few years but have decided to go this summer and would like to go back to the Greek islands as we've always enjoyed holidays there. Finding it hard to decide which one though. We like traditional places and the ability to go off and explore, eat local food etc but a decent pool and nearby beach are essential for teen DD. We haven't got a massive budget, around £400 pp ideally.

imsorryiasked Sun 17-Apr-16 15:16:47

You could get a week late August at Boursalino Studios in Nidri?

Onykahonie Sun 17-Apr-16 16:25:00

1 week or 2?
Not sure if you'd consider the main land too? We're staying in the Peloponnese (flying to Kalamata) as that was one of the cheapest flights to Greece I could find!
Crete is normally good value too.
Lesvos is also cheap this year, for obvious reasons. Anaxos is a lovely area.

misscph1973 Sun 17-Apr-16 16:53:26

When are you planning on going? I am just wondering if £400 pp will be enough if youa r going the school summer holidays. I am going to Portugal in the May half term, and I only just kept it under £500 pp for flights and self-catering apartment only.

Thankfulforeveryday Sun 17-Apr-16 16:54:34

Kefalonia is beautiful

Orac Sun 17-Apr-16 18:04:11

We're going back to Greece this year to Zante. Pre DC we went to a different island every year but I wanted a little more luxury when DC were small.
I agree Kefalonia is lovely and if it was just me I'd go there but teenagers want a bit of nightlife.
Nidri on Lefkada is also pretty and great for windsurfing, but a very poor beach.
Are they post GCSE?
Now mine are 18 and 20 and uni /college holidays start early so it's much cheaper in June / July.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Sun 17-Apr-16 18:50:27

We went to Roda on Corfu last year, which sounds just the kind of place you are looking for.

If you are looking summer school holidays though we paid a bit more than that as flights are expensive that time.

TwentyOneGuns Sun 17-Apr-16 22:00:17

We're looking at 1 week in August (not post GCSE yet unfortunately), there are a few deals within our price range but it's hard to narrow it down. We've done Crete and Zante before and loved both of them so would happily go again. Kefalonia looks gorgeous and Corfu sounds good but haven't seen anything in budget for either of those so far.

Onykahonie Mon 18-Apr-16 12:19:26

What have you found so far?

I can find plenty of package holidays within your budget, but not in the quieter/more traditional resorts.
Have you looked at booking independently?
I can find return flights to Corfu for under £250 pp and accommodation within your budget...take a look at Ag Gordios, San Stefanos and Arillas.
I would book directly with the owners for the best deal.
agios-gordios.net/apartments/index.php

ChubbyPolecat Mon 18-Apr-16 12:22:11

I can't be of much help except to say avoid Rhodes

hangingoutattheendofmywick Mon 18-Apr-16 12:47:11

Been to kefalonia 3 times - it's beautiful.

wonkylampshade Mon 18-Apr-16 12:50:55

We stayed here in Corfu not long ago - beautiful place.

juneau Mon 18-Apr-16 13:02:29

I would start by looking at flights. Where can you fly to within your budget? Then you can look at the area that airport serves and what is available accommodation-wise. There is no point setting your heart on x island if the flights there are too expensive.

PeacesofAte Mon 18-Apr-16 13:06:37

Why avoid Rhodes, Polecat? Have been thinking of booking somewhere in the Old Town there in the summer, is it not a good idea?

ChubbyPolecat Mon 18-Apr-16 17:10:15

It depends what you're after. It was some time ago but I wanted warm weather and lovely beaches and got neither...the only nice beach was in Lindos where I got scammed by an old Greek woman. I just didn't think it had much going for it and I would never go back

juneau Mon 18-Apr-16 17:48:38

Also, the flight to Greece is quite long and therefore quite expensive in terms of fuel and what-have-you, so does it have to be Greece? Because if you're looking for nice food, traditional towns, a bit of culture and a beach in summer you could get all that closer (and probably for a much less pricey airfare - which is going to be a huge chunk of your £400pp budget), closer to home. So while you're looking at airfares it might be worth considering some other places like Spain, Corsica, Italy, Malta, etc too.

TwentyOneGuns Mon 18-Apr-16 19:17:36

Yes we'd definitely consider somewhere near if it had that same sort of feel - any suggestions? Does anyone have opinions on Mallora/Menorca?

Makemineacabsauv Mon 18-Apr-16 23:26:51

As pp have said look at your flights first - we have a 2 bedroom apartment in Roda, Corfu in school holidays with Ryanair flights from our local airport and a private transfer for £800 (3 of us). Greece is beautiful and far cheaper than Majorca when you get there as they desperately need the foreign money coming in to their economy. Food is fresh and amazing and so cheap. But I prefer Greece to Spain so may be biased! There is no bad Greek island - (or tourist spots on the mainland) as long as you avoid the usual Brit heavy lager lout resorts - unless that's your thing of course!

Makemineacabsauv Mon 18-Apr-16 23:27:38

Roda does sound perfect for you though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now