Talk

Advanced search

Rome with children

(5 Posts)
mrsgiggle Sat 09-Apr-16 10:05:41

Has anyone stayed near Rome with children? Would like a beach resort near there if possible.

NicknameUsed Sun 10-Apr-16 10:16:58

We looked at doing a two centre holiday with a beach near Rome, but our travel agent friend told us that there weren't any nice resorts near Rome.

You need to be prepared to do a lot of walking in Rome. If your children aren't good walkers I would wait until they are older.

mummymeister Sun 10-Apr-16 15:37:37

agree with nickname. we took ours to rome when they were teenagers because there is a lot of walking and a lot street scene type stuff. you might be better off looking at Barcelona if you want this mixture as they have a great beach plus the culture.

mrsgiggle Sun 10-Apr-16 19:07:47

Ok thanks, its my husband that wants to go!
May leave until next year and just do a short break there!

ChunkyPunky Sun 10-Apr-16 20:31:53

As Nickname said the beach resorts near Rome aren't that great. Lido Di Ostia is the closest and I wasn't that impressed.

We went last year and stayed at Camping Village Fabulous, which although it sounds like something out of Little Britain was actually a fab campsite with really good facilities - pools, restaurant, gelateria etc. We had a static caravan that slept 6 and it was plenty big enough for 3 adults and the limited time we spend there. We booked with Al Fresco.

The site is about a 30 minute journey by public transport outside Rome but costs a hell of a lot less than central Rome accommodation. It cost us 3 Euros each a day for return tickets into Rome and the bus stop is a five minute walk from the site. The bus drops you at the Metro station which then takes you straight in to central Rome. I'd go back tomorrow.

And yes the walking - don't underestimate the walking. A restful break it is not if you want to see the sights!

I'd also second Barcelona. We had a fab week there - lots of culture and a 7 mile long beach!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now