Where to go? Single parent + 4yo

(8 Posts)
NellWilsonsWhiteHair Wed 06-Apr-16 18:57:33

I really fancy a cheap beach holiday. I haven't done this since before DS was born nearly 4 years ago.

I have a vision of booking a cheap 2-3* place in walking distance of the beach. B&B at the hotel, then buying bread, apples, sliced cheese and bottled water at the Spar every day and spending the day at the beach. Basically what I always used to do, only with sandcastles and swimming together instead of reading and swimming alone.

I have a huge suspicion that it won't really be as easy as I'm hoping. Will it just be hellish? Will I regret going?

I really like the Greek islands, but I can't face a 4+ hour flight with DS. Thinking Spain might be more viable? I don't want to book it and hate it... I wonder whether doing 4 days might be better than a full week?

Any advice/suggestions/warnings would be greatly welcome!

Bonywasawarriorwayayix Sat 09-Apr-16 17:45:46

How about the Costa del Sol? It's not the peaceful away from it all I get the impression you're imagining but there's plenty of beach and lots to do if your DS gets bored of the beach. The train goes direct from Malaga airport to the resorts, so transfer is easy.
My ILs live near there and we've just visited with DS age 2.5. He loved the days we went to the Costa.

CodyKing Sat 09-Apr-16 17:47:59

Look at one the beach - it has lots of useful information - nearest beach shop on sight etc - don't discount al inclusive - often not much on the price - I think it was an extra £20 each -

SJane45S Sun 10-Apr-16 19:25:02

I was a single parent for 10 years and did lots of Mum/daughter trips abroad. It's fine honest, hotel choice is really important though. What worked for us were places were there were likely to be lots of other kids - my DS would have a new best mate every day and they'd spend lots of time together. Happy kid = happy Mum! It's pretty full on when it's just the two of you without the distractions of home and if they have little mates it helps take the pressure of to entertain them! A room with a balcony is also good - somewhere to go with wine and a book when they finally fall asleep! It's just personal opinion (sorry Bony!) but I'm not a huge Costa del Sol fan (have been, didn't love it!..again, apologies!) but other areas of Spain are great! If it was me I'd go to France or Italy (short flight times) or brave the 4 hour flight to Greece -with an I-pod, sticker book and lots of snacks!

SJane45S Sun 10-Apr-16 19:26:53

I-pad, not pod.. Doh!

NellWilsonsWhiteHair Tue 12-Apr-16 21:07:21

Thanks all - some useful stuff to think about!

Twistedheartache Tue 12-Apr-16 21:12:57

For a budget option San Eloy in tossa is great. Pools, entertainment for both kids & adults, free bus to the town with the beach & loads of families.

Notsoskinnyminny Tue 19-Apr-16 19:24:11

I went to a couple of Thomson family resorts with DCs (Mallorca, Portugal and Cyprus). They wouldn't have been my holiday of choice if circumstances were different but they had a great time joining in with the poolside activities, going to kids club and we'd still manage a few days sightseeing or go to the beach. They loved the evening entertainment and although it was hard sitting there by myself I'd look at all the couples not talking to each other and think how lucky I was grin

As they got older my shyer DS didn't want to go to kids club whereas DD would have a group of friends before we'd made it to the room and wanted to go to every activity. If there was an evening one it meant I could go out for a meal with DS. It was perfect, both were happy and I could enjoy a meal without any bickering!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now