Talk

Advanced search

Suggestions for 3 night trip for elderly parents

(6 Posts)
BistoBear Mon 28-Mar-16 11:18:25

Good morning

I'm looking for trip suggestions for my parents. It's their 45th wedding anniversary and they both have big birthdays this year.

Somewhere within Europe, preferably with lots of English speakers as my parents do not speak any other languages.

My Mum's mobility isn't great, she walks with a stick. My Dad is very active. They both like bus trips, eating out, sight seeing. They've been all over the UK and Canada. They went to Amsterdam on a day trip once but have never been anywhere else in Europe.

I was thinking Italy in September time. My concern is sending them somewhere where they could become isolated due to not speaking the local language. Plus, they both have very strong accents which can make their English difficult to understand!

Looking at a 3 day trip, budget of around £1000 but this is flexible. If anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful.

LIZS Mon 28-Mar-16 11:22:31

How about Florence or Lake Garda ?

mummymeister Mon 28-Mar-16 11:42:26

if you have a look in the saga brochure or website it is quite useful for giving ideas on where older travellers might find it easier to go to. fil uses them and other older persons type holidays for ideas on good hotels etc which he then books independently.

whataboutbob Tue 29-Mar-16 18:34:30

Maybe that one trip to Amsterdam put them off Europe for good LOL!
HOw about Malta, where nearly all the locals speak English (it was part of the empire till the 70s I believe), but the weather is warm (probably too hot in July, august and september, would be perfect in May, June, October . The food is nice and quite italian in style, good value, and it's very low crime. There are not many good beaches though, people tend to lie on rocks and climb down into the water from ladders. There's a couple of nice sandy beaches on Gozo. I can't recommend specific places as I have no mobility issues but the tourist office should have suggestions. Valletta the capital is beautiful but quite "up and downy" with lots of steep climbs up old streets. My uncle lives there and I love visitng him!

Frazzled2207 Tue 29-Mar-16 18:45:56

Iceland? Everyone speaks english

Stillunexpected Tue 29-Mar-16 19:52:01

Does it have to be abroad? Not sure what ages they are going to be but guessing at least 70 or maybe 75 if celebrating their 45th wedding anniversary? It just seems that three days with flights etc could be more tiring than not, whereas you could get a really lovely long weekend in the Uk for the same amount.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now