Talk

Advanced search

driving across Europe this summer - mainly Germany

(7 Posts)
GrumpyOldBag Sat 26-Mar-16 18:13:17

Planning a family driving holiday this summer with 2 teenage dc plus dog.

Looking to stop en route at Bruges and Heidelberg.

Any other good ideas, recommendations please?

ClaudiaApfelstrudel Sat 26-Mar-16 18:21:05

chewing gum, to shut the kids up if they start complaining

Ancienchateau Sat 26-Mar-16 18:23:59

Are you heading anywhere in particular?

I'd recommend Freiburg and Munich and Neuschwanstein along with Heidelberg in south. Cologne and Hamburg further north.

GrumpyOldBag Sat 26-Mar-16 18:41:07

yes we are heading for Salzburg. We've been to Munich several times before, and did Neuschwanstein a while ago.

JillJ72 Sat 26-Mar-16 19:24:04

Cochem and Koblenz. Lorelei. The Rhein is beautiful and the barges incredibly long!

ClaudiaApfelstrudel Mon 28-Mar-16 10:02:39

the Germans do have quite a few 'ferienwohnung' stopovers that can be quite cheap. We stayed in one this summer that was cheap and nice enough. They even gave us free tickets to the local lido.

Booking.com is good place to look for them

Ningnang2000 Wed 20-Apr-16 21:47:37

I love Germany.

We were the last year. We stayed with family so have no accommodation suggestions.

In northern Bavaria/Franconia region Nuremberg is fab with an Interesting medieval and wwII history, Wurzberg is also Has a nice castle and great youth hostel. Bamberg is also interesting with a speciality smoked beer which needs to be tasted to be believed.

Further north I stayed near the Luneberg Heath which is lovely when the heather is in bloom and would be good for the dog. Within an hours drive from that area there is loads for the teenagers. There is an impressive theme park and safari park, upside down house and I would highly recommend the barefoot park for a unique experience. You are also not far from Hamburg and Bremen.

I was impressed by cologne and the cable car to the fort and Deutch Eck.

The Rhine is impressive and you are spoiled for choice when it comes to castles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now