Talk

Advanced search

Help me book for May Half Term before I go completely insane

(11 Posts)
NancyJoan Sat 26-Mar-16 17:59:06

We want to go away next HT, me, DH and 2 kids aged 7 and 10.

I don't want to go to the Canaries, but I do want sun and temps of around 24 plus, so have discounted the Balearics as weather too risky.

Have spent hours online looking at travel agents/reviews/forums, am now more confused than ever before.

Thinking of mainland Spain, but no idea where. Please can someone recommend a hotel/resort to me before I lose it completely.

Onykahonie Sat 26-Mar-16 18:07:52

More details needed...
Airport, dates, hotel or s/c, budget? What sort of place to you like (lively, kids clubs etc, or quiet and traditional)? Do you want a package?

Costacoffeeplease Sat 26-Mar-16 18:09:55

The Algarve? We should have those sort of temps by half term - I live in Carvoeiro, happy to answer any questions

Marmitelover55 Sat 26-Mar-16 18:16:29

Crete?

NancyJoan Sat 26-Mar-16 18:19:26

Sorry, more info.

Flights from Bristol or Cardiff.

From 28th May for a week.

Hotel, not lively, don't need kids club, really really don't want entertainment, but with other kids for mine to befriend. I'd like to be somewhere a bit pretty/traditional, and near places we can go and visit in a hire car. So, pretty villages, markets, etc.

Budget about £2.5k

Not fussed whether package or not, but suspect as it's school hols, a package may be cheaper.

NancyJoan Sat 26-Mar-16 18:21:53

Costa, I could be persuaded, but we did The Algarve late April one year and it rained for the first eight of our ten days, so DH a bit reluctant!

Hit me up with Carvoeiro suggestions, though, and I'll see what he says!

Onykahonie Sat 26-Mar-16 18:23:27

I'll do a bit of searching later and see what I can find. Would you consider S/C or not?

NancyJoan Sat 26-Mar-16 18:27:13

No, S/C too much like hard work for me, and actually DD needs other kids to hang out with or she gets fed up. Thank you!

Costacoffeeplease Sat 26-Mar-16 18:58:37

End of May is different to end April grinnwe had friends here for half term last year and they couldn't believe how good the weather was!

Carvoeiro is more of a self catering resort than hotels but if you get an apartment on a development with communal pools, your daughter will have company, and you've got your choice of 30-40 restaurants in the evening. Walking distance of the town are - monte dourado, Colina verde, monte Carvoeiro, parts of Quinta do Paraiso, algar Seco, Areias dos Moinhos

If you want a hotel there's the Mirachoro Praia or Tivoli Almansor - there's also the Carvoeiro Sol but it's right in the centre by the beach so could be a bit noisy

There's a thread on here that I started last summer, might give you an idea?

Onykahonie Sat 26-Mar-16 19:13:01

How about somewhere like this?
Flights to Bristol to Malaga Ryanair for £986 return for all of you on the Sunday
www.hhpuertadelsol.es/en/
E206 per night for all of you AI per night (obvs less for HB or B+B)
Mijas is supposed to be lovely. Fuengirola is actually not bad either for beaches, restaurants etc and Malaga is a lovely city to visit.

Onykahonie Sat 26-Mar-16 19:58:34

I think the apartments in and around Mijas look better than the hotels, though. Take a look at Booking.com and Trip Advisor for reviews.

On Thomson, I found Inturotel Sa Marina, Majorca for £563 pp HB, might be too lively.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now