Berlin - how long?

(18 Posts)
useyourimagination Sun 13-Mar-16 20:39:45

Just wondering how many days we would need to do Berlin - we're thinking three or four. DC are 13 and 18 and interested in culture and history. We'd probably stay in the centre of the city but nothing booked yet, hoping to do that this week. Any suggestions of what we absolutely must do, what we should do if we have time and what really isn't worth bothering with?

00100001 Mon 14-Mar-16 15:57:29

bump

Janek Tue 15-Mar-16 18:44:40

what time of year are you going? activities depend on that. Friedrichshain was a great area to stay, when we went.

AssembleTheMinions Tue 15-Mar-16 18:55:53

We're going for 3 nights next month with dd1 (17) and dd2 (13) . I'm starting to plan everything out and realising that I should booked at least one extra night. sad

useyourimagination Tue 15-Mar-16 22:52:58

Heading out hopefully the first week in August. Looks like we'll need at least 4 nights then smile

ShangriLaLaLa Tue 15-Mar-16 23:01:59

In August, a whole day in Potsdam is a must. And another to just do a walking tour of the city. Add time in if you can, it will be well worth it!

Janek Wed 16-Mar-16 20:07:42

It will be absolutely roasting in August, perhaps you shoukd factor in some swimming-in-a-lake. That's what we did when we went in the summer.

breward Sun 20-Mar-16 20:37:48

I toook DS (13) at Easter last year to practise his German (4 days).

We did a free tour on foot from the Brandenberg Gate. It took 2.5 hrs and was great for getting our bearings. www.newberlintours.com/daily-tours/free-tour.html

We went to the Olympic Stadium. DS is a big sports fan so loved it.

We did a Reichstag tour (booked before Christmas for Easter) and after we had free access and audio tour of the dome.

We did the Eastside Gallery and the underground bunker tour (M) berliner-unterwelten.de/tour-m.675.1.html.

On our final day we did the zoo as our hotel was opposite it and we could make most of our last day. Don't miss popping into www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g187323-d190541-Reviews-Kaiser_Wilhelm_Memorial_Church-Berlin.html for free (just opp the zoo entrance).

I enjoyed is so much I am taking DD (15) and best friend to Berlin next week for 6 days. (No zoo or Olympic stadium this time!)

DD school is going to Berlin in the summer for 3 nights (RE, History and German trip). Their itinerary is:

Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp, Wannsee Conference House, a
guided tour of Civil Defence Shelters and a Nuclear Bunker, Hohenschönhausen – the Stasi prison, a museum looking at everyday life in the GDR, a tour of the Jewish quarter.

I have booked the Reichstag and the free walking tour. We will do some of the above plus Potsdam and shopping!!

LovelyFriend Mon 21-Mar-16 10:36:32

Glad I found this thread - we are off to Berlin for 5 days over Easter. DC are 4 & 8.
We are staying in Mitte.

I'm thinking:
Potsdam
Zoo
Eastside Gallery/Checkpoint Charlie
General wandering around soaking up the city

I'm not sure how 4yo will cope with a walking tour but I would like to do one if possible..

I'd like to go to the Stasi HQ.

I bought a book called "Berlin for Children" and 8 yo is doing some research too.

Anything vital I am missing? (I will take a look at breward's suggestions tonight)

We had five days last summer and felt as if we'd barely scratched the surface. Desperate to go back!

Our highlights were:
Jewish museum and Holocaust memorial
Topographie of Terror
Reichstaag dome
Cake in Fassbender and Rausch (wonderful chocolate shop)
Boat trip
Pavement cafes to people watch
Hitler's bunker (there's nothing there, but that was the brilliance of it)

Things we didn't do but want to next time:
East Side Gallery
Stasi museum
Potsdam and/or Wannsee

Things I wouldn't bother with, had I known in advance:
Checkpoint Charlie
DDR museum

LovelyFriend Tue 22-Mar-16 22:15:36

We are doing a day trip to this:
https://www.tropical-islands.de/en/
shockshockshock

tempo Mon 04-Apr-16 12:11:41

absolutely love Berlin. Took ds (13) there last May. 3 nights, 4 days. Stayed near Checkpoint Charlie.

We loved the Checkpoint Charlie museum and DDR museum
we went on a boat from Eastside gallery back into town
did a visit to Reichstag (booked in advance)
Brandenburg gate and the amazing Holocaust memorial nearby.
Went to the Jewish museum.
Also went up the tv tower which rotates 360 degrees and had dinner there - great views
lots of wandering about.

Great cheap food generally.
get a berlin pass (gives you metro use for x days)

tempo Mon 04-Apr-16 12:13:07

oh, and possibly the most memorable thing for ds was going to the Ritter chocolate shop and creating his own chocolate!

Northernlurker Mon 04-Apr-16 12:17:17

I went with school years ago for three very intense days. Potsdam and tv tower are two things I particularly remember.

GummyBunting Mon 04-Apr-16 12:23:34

Love Berlin, we stayed in Mitte.

All above suggestions are brill, and I'd like to add a visit to White Trash Fast Food for a burger.

whitetrashfastfood.com/

It's an achingly cool burger restaurant with its own tattoo studio. The outside bit is lovely in the summer as well.

guerre Mon 04-Apr-16 12:26:42

Ooh- great thread, was thinking of Berlin for half term.

LovelyFriend Mon 04-Apr-16 12:38:08

We are just back from our amazing holiday in Potsdam/Berlin.

I was with 4yo & 7yo. We saw so much yet saw so little. Stayed in Mitte which was fab, but transport there is amazing so I don't imagine staying anywhere would be much of a problem.

Def get the Berlin Welcome card www.visitberlin.de/en/welcomecard
It covers all travel, up to 3 kids can travel with an adult, and you also get discounts on entry to most attractions. Plus once you validate it (on first use) you can stick it in your purse and only need to present it if inspected. There are no ticket barriers.

I use Citymapper in London and this switched over to Berlin when we were there - excellent for navigating your way around using trams, u bahn, s bahn, other trains and buses.

I also did the free walking tour mentioned upthread (thank you) and I recommend doing one of these early in your visit. You pay the guide by tips - and our guide was fantastic.

My 8yo enjoyed reading this book and we did a couple of the walks from there - they point out really interesting things for children:
www.amazon.co.uk/Berlin-Guide-Children-Joscha-Remus/dp/3854521553

Great day out at the gorgeous zoo & aquarium.

There is still so much to see and do - my DC loved it, and I can't wait to go back on a more adult trip.

breward Tue 05-Apr-16 07:48:21

We are in Berlin at the moment. Killing time before flight back!

6 days has flown by and was a perfect length of time to do the city well.

We stayed in the Adagio aparthotel near Zoological Garten. Great spacious apartment for 4 (2 x Adults and 14 and 15 yr old) of us with well equipped kitchen.

A few of our highlights:
No 1: The Stasi Prison (not the museum) We were taken round the prison by an ex political inmate. His story will stay with us for a long time and was one of those moments when you feel blessed to hear such testimony first hand.

No 2: Sauchenhausen Concentration Camp. Another worthwhile and moving visit. We took a tour with Insider Tours which I would recommend.

No 3: Reichstag Dome. Fab views of the city and good audio guide. Book before your visit.

No 4: Do do the Free Tour on your 1st full day (great for getting your bearings and the history of the city) www.newberlintours.com/daily-tours/free-tour.html. We had a brilliant guide called Kyle and she made the tour fly by.

No 5: Visit Potsdam. A beautiful city 30 mins outside Berlin (We went there for the afternoon and did a river cruise to see the Potsdam Palaces)

We got a ABC Welcome card which gave us discounts and free travel for 6 days (45 Euros for 6 days- 3 children can travel free with each adult) An daily adult travel card is about 7.5 Euros, children 5.8 Euros.

Eating out is very reasonable compared to London and service has been amazing at every restaurant. We have had some lovely meals: Italian, Turkish, Vietnamese, Thai etc. We also sampled Bratwurst at the Hackescher Saturday food market.

Excellent weather throughout our visit. 12 degrees on our first day. 21 degrees today! We have worn sun cream for the last 3 days!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now