Talk

Advanced search

does anyone know Madrid?

(8 Posts)
TheHighPriestessOfTinsel Fri 04-Mar-16 21:19:24

we're going to tack a couple of days in Madrid on to the end of our holiday elsewhere in Spain - flights are now booked home from Madrid so no change of plan possible.

i need to book a hotel, and wondered if anyone can recommend an area, or let us know where to avoid? We'll have a hire car to park, and to return to the airport, so we'll need to be somewhere where parking is actually possible, which I know can be tricky in some cities.

MummaGiles Fri 04-Mar-16 21:22:27

Hmm the car makes it trickier but if you want somewhere that's fairly good for access to all the big things, parque del retiro, prado/thyssen/reina Sofia, Sol, the palace etc I would recommend somewhere around the museum quarter or atocha. Or you could return the car early to the airport and get the metro in for a couple of euros each.

MummaGiles Fri 04-Mar-16 21:23:05

The area around Huertas is also really good for bars/restaurants

TheHighPriestessOfTinsel Fri 04-Mar-16 21:30:26

great - many thanks! staggering distance from decent restaurants is definitely a big plus. I'll have a look and see if I can get a family room in one of those areas.

MummaGiles Fri 04-Mar-16 21:45:36

In that case huertas/plaza Santa Ana is the best bet.

Drinksforeveryone Sat 05-Mar-16 17:07:12

I would return the car to airport then head back in to Madrid on metro or train.

I love Madrid - latest trip was in September. We stayed at the Hotel Moderno. it was very central - right in Sol. Have stayed in even cheaper places before. One was Hostal La Banezana located in Calle de la Cruz. Basic but clean. Again central.

Sandgroper Tue 08-Mar-16 21:30:45

We stayed in Cortes (in the old town) last Easter, very central, safe to walk around at night, loads of cafes, restaurants etc. Botanical gardens and the art gallery (where Goya paintings are) whose name evades me at the moment, about a 5 min walk away. Reitro, huge park with cafes pond with boats, etc bit like Hyde Park is a 10 min walk away.

I agree ditching the hire car, we walked everywhere.

There was a Radisson Blu Hotel around the corner from the apartment we stayed at, we did go to the cafe at the bottom of it for a coffee one afternoon. Looked fine.

We stayed in a fab 2 bedroom apartment in a beautiful old building, had stairs and a lift. It was a recommendation by a fellow mumsnetter.

www.spain-select.com/en_US/rent-apartments-madrid/moratin-i/photos

The second bedroom for the kids had a pullout bed under the single bed. We paid €135 per night.

They have a fab concierge service where they can book restaurants, tickets to events, anything really and its 24hrs service. Was useful when we got stuck there (late at night) for those 2 extra nights due to air traffic controller strike!

They can book a cab from airport (only 30 mins away if the new one, old one was 20 mins away) which we did but they charged us €70 when we arrived but on way back we found using local one about half the price e.g. €35 euros one way. Easy to hail down in the street.

Wear comfortable walking shoes.. Oh and elasticated trousers cause you will be eating (and drinking) loads it was so cheap, well it was last year.

Not sure if it's your thing but we did a Great walking tour with Ogo Tours Madrid, free but you tip the guide what you think it's worth. About 2.5 hrs. I found them on trip advisor, fab reviews and worth it, gave us lots of local tips to cafes and restaurants that locals go to.

Anyway hope this helps, very envious would love to go back again.👍

AvonCallingBarksdale Wed 23-Mar-16 20:23:43

Love, love, love Madrid. We stayed in a airbnb place in calle de las huertas. We went in May half term last year - fab and would def go again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now