Talk

Advanced search

Independent travel insurance

(9 Posts)
WestYorkshireGirl Wed 02-Mar-16 20:25:11

We need to find comprehensive travel insurance which will cover us to go to France this summer. We have booked accommodation and flights all ourselves so having done some research we need independent cover, but there seem to be lots of exclusions. Anyone got some good recommendations?
Thanks!

specialsubject Wed 02-Mar-16 20:40:00

the country is full of travel insurance companies and most don't care if it is a package or not. What exclusions are bothering you?

get a shift on, you've no cover if you have to cancel until the insurance is sorted.

don't forget EHIC cards and scheduled airline failure cover if flying.

WestYorkshireGirl Wed 02-Mar-16 21:21:37

Thanks - money saving website seemed to suggest it was important to get independent cover as opposed to package and not being frequent travellers we didn't find a lot which specified this, but maybe it's less of an issue than we were led to believe...

specialsubject Thu 03-Mar-16 16:23:13

obviously you need to check small print to ensure the policy doesn't specify a package, but otherwise I can't see a problem.

Direct Travel? Columbus? And there are also comparison sites for this.

ceeveebee Thu 03-Mar-16 16:38:40

I usually buy from Virgin money (via moneysupermarket), prices are reasonable and good level of cover. Not sure what you mean by independent cover -policies don't usually specific whether it's for a package or separately booked accomm/flights - I think it probably means buying insurance that isn't sold to you by the holiday company?

PeaStalks Thu 03-Mar-16 17:12:26

Go with a well known name.
I booked last year through a comparison website. Dead cheap, never heard of the company. I changed the holiday later to include another passenger and wanted to add her to the insurance. The company never answered the phone or replied to e mails.
I wondered what would happen if we were abroad and needed urgent help. I decided to cut my losses and booked fresh insurance with a large well known company.
Thank goodness I did because we needed doctor, ambulance and hospital treatment. All emergency and private so EHIC no use. (In an emergency you don't stop to check whether it's "NHS" or not).

Drinksforeveryone Fri 04-Mar-16 16:54:15

I have used insure and go for the past few years. I buy an annual family worldwide policy -also covers business travel.

I pay about£250 I think, and that's with my medical issues coveredtoo.

Always very helpful on phone.

strongswans Fri 04-Mar-16 17:06:48

We were with insure and go for annual cover until recently when they refused to cover my son with a new diagnosis, even for the conditions he was already covered for. We swapped to stay sure. Very helpful. We have annual worldwide, my son and I both with medical issues, excludes America. Just over £200 I think. Very good!

WestYorkshireGirl Fri 04-Mar-16 23:52:26

Thank you everyonesmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now