Talk

Advanced search

Turkey

(17 Posts)
whostolethesocks Tue 01-Mar-16 06:06:08

Any recommendations on nice areas of Turkey or hotels. Hoping to go with two older teenagers. Just want some advice on areas please.

NickiFury Tue 01-Mar-16 06:40:44

I wouldn't be going to Turkey at all currently.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/turkey

Hersetta427 Tue 01-Mar-16 08:03:00

We are going to turkey later this year. Where we are staying is an 18 hr drive to the border and 12 hrs to Ankara and a pretty remote resort with very few hotels so very unlikely to be a target.

We liked the Side area, but there are lots of other lovely small resorts such as Fethiye, Oludeniz etc.

whostolethesocks Tue 01-Mar-16 08:12:49

Thanks Hersetta. I don't think you can think about risks anymore as nobody expected that to happen in Paris in November or even Tunisia last year. I'll look at the resorts you mention.

Thelwell Tue 01-Mar-16 08:16:10

As Nicki fury links, the foreign office recommends not going to the areas indicated on the map...basically the Syrian border. You did actually look at the link Nicki, right? hmm in addition, I'd personally avoid Ankara.

Turkish tourism industry is "on sale" this year, accelerated by price increases hotels are asking from locals to compensate for reduced foreign income. Silly and not working. Definitely don't book direct and ask your tour operator if further discounts are available.

Always good to check actual FCO advice and do compare levels of care advised with other destinations so you get a good informed feel of risk if it exists.

I'm a big fan of Istanbul...but wherever you go I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time!

Hersetta427 Tue 01-Mar-16 08:31:36

I completely agree. We are only going to Turkey as our booked holiday to Tunisia has been cancelled. We would happily have gone it we had been able to. Some really good prices around at the moment due to decreased demand - not sure we could have afforded the hotel we are staying at otherwise.

MissGintyMarlow Tue 01-Mar-16 08:31:55

I would go and stay in a smaller/remote resort. You will have a lovely time.

NickiFury Tue 01-Mar-16 09:35:04

Yes I did. Why the sniffy emoticon?

My parents holiday in turkey twice a year and have been recently. They said it didn't feel relaxed and that people seemed edgy with that in mind I wouldn't go.

MissGintyMarlow Tue 01-Mar-16 09:36:33

OP, Cirali area is beautiful and far too remote to attract troubles

SooticaTheWitchesCat Tue 01-Mar-16 10:10:28

I am sure th Op has no intention of going to anywhere near the Syrian border so there is no point in scaring people uneccessarily Nicki Fury. Have you ever been to Turkey? Do you know anything about the situation out there? Probably not. I'm also sure your parents haven't been to a beach reosrt recently as it is the middle of winter.

I know many people who live in Turkey and those in and around the resorts are not in any way worried.

There is no more risk in the tourist resorts than in any other country.

I personally love the Bodrum Peninsula, and I think with older teenagers you could look at Bitez or Yalikavak.

NickiFury Tue 01-Mar-16 11:08:24

Shall I answer your questions or just not bother? Seeing as you answered them for me.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Tue 01-Mar-16 11:19:10

I am just getting tired of hearing people saying don't go to Turkey for no valid reason when they don't know what the situation is like out there.

The people working in tourism are going to have a hard season this year because people are not travelling due to scaremongering.

whostolethesocks Tue 01-Mar-16 13:37:01

Thanks for those people who have suggested areas of Turkey to look at. I'm going to have a look when I have time. I'm not planning on going near the border or to any major cities.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Tue 01-Mar-16 14:36:04

I hope you have a lovely time wherever you choose.

imtherebutimnotthere Sat 12-Mar-16 18:54:46

We have been going to Turkey for years and our firm favourite is Hisaronu/Olu Deniz and we will be back there this year. The beaches, the boat trips, the food, the people, the shopping...could go on and on. We are finding people are surprised we are still going again, cannot understand why !! The only reason I can think of is it borders Syria, which is hundreds of miles away from the main holiday resorts. According to The Daily Mail today the places we should avoid are Tunisia ( understandably) along with America, Spain, France and Jamacia. Would think long and hard before booking holidays in these countries

Noofly Sun 13-Mar-16 20:43:18

Are your teenagers quite active? We went to Dalyan last summer and it was fantastic- so much to do (if you wanted)! I took DS canyoning where he got to jump 10m into a fantastic natural pool, DD and I went horse riding on wild Turkish mountain ponies up into the hills, we spent a day on a wooden gullet, took boat trips to the beach (beautiful beach!) and there's still so much that we didn't do so we're going back next summer.

s88 Wed 23-Mar-16 10:42:46

We are going in September and have booked liberty lykia world . It looks amazing ! My friend works for TC and she even commented that it's an amazing resort . Looked to go around 5 years ago and was way out of budget but as prices have decreased we were able to book . They have a kids club from 6 months too 😆

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now