Talk

Advanced search

Milan with 10yo and 8yo

(5 Posts)
tangerino Mon 29-Feb-16 17:31:51

Has anyone been to Milan? We can go quite cheaply in May (I have to go there anyway for work so other half and the kids can fly out for the following few days) but I'm not sure how much there is to do- I think it's because I've only ever seen the business-y bits.

We like sightseeing, history, gardens, art, good food. Not interested in shopping though (or at least not with kids in tow).

Thank you!

SJane45S Mon 29-Feb-16 20:47:40

We spent 3 days there 2 years ago at the end of a train trip. If you're going anyway, there isn't much point in saying 'maybe go somewhere else' but for us it really lacked the charm of Rome, Venice, Sienna etc - sorry! The lay out isn't typically Italian - there's very few charming piazza's to stumble across. That's not to say it's not completely without interest - the Duomo's interesting (womens arms need to be covered if you're going in) & I liked the Sforza castle (there's a good park behind it). There's a lot of parks and a good modern art museum whose name escapes me! If you want to see The Last Supper, you need to book. The canal area is worth a wander. Compared to where we'd been before, foods pretty expensive and there are lots and lots of very expensive shops and extremely well dressed people. If I'd gone with friends in my 20's after getting my yearly bonus, I think I would have had a blast. As it was, there wasn't a huge amount other than the parks my daughter liked and it all felt a bit like hard work. Sorry tangerine - maybe we were a bit tired and jaded at the end of our trip and hope you have more fun than we did!

tangerino Mon 29-Feb-16 22:21:10

Thanks- that's really helpful. It sounds as if it's maybe not worth it- it would save some money (compared to paying for us all to go) but still cost quite a bit- sounds as if it would be better to spend the extra and go somewhere else.

Ludways Mon 29-Feb-16 22:33:05

I loved Milan, really nice place with plenty to do. I'd go back in a heartbeat with my dcs.

ArthurMcAffertyhastwocats Mon 29-Feb-16 22:48:20

Could they fly out and you all get a train to somewhere more interesting/child friendly? Florence or Venice? Disclaimer: it's been a while since I took a train in Italy. But my dc of similar ages adored Venice, and still talk about it two years on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now