Talk

Advanced search

European Centre Parcs

(21 Posts)
Mcsh1977 Mon 29-Feb-16 15:16:19

Hi
We're hoping to travel to a Centre Parcs in Europe for May half term, but there are so many to choose from!
Can anyone recommend a site that isn't too far the other end?
Thanks so much

pinkchampagne1 Thu 03-Mar-16 23:11:12

We are going to De Vossemeren in Belgium in the summer holidays. It is a 3 hour drive from Calais and has cost us less than half of the cost of the alternative in the UK.

This is the first time we have tried a European Center Parcs but a couple of my friends have tried it out and say it is really good. From what I have heard, the swimming pool is very similar to Elvedon but also features a little snorkelling area. There is also a huge indoor play area which is all free of charge. We are really looking forward to trying it out.

pinkchampagne1 Thu 03-Mar-16 23:14:08

Another one I have heard positive feedback about is De Kempervennen in Holland. Think it is also about a 3 hour drive so not too far. It features a really good indoor snow dome where you can have a go at skiing and snowboarding.

pinkchampagne1 Fri 04-Mar-16 08:38:08

I think there is a Center Parcs in France that works out a shorter drive than the two I have mentioned though. Sure someone more helpful will be along soon! smile

LovingKent Sat 05-Mar-16 09:48:58

Hi OP. We went to De Vossemeren last May and loved it. It is 3 hours from Calais though (without stopping) and don't go the route that takes you via Antwerp as traffic is horrendous on their ring road in rush hour! According to Google there are a couple of French ones nearer - Lac d'Ailette and Les Bois-Francs. Not tried either.

pinkchampagne1 Sat 05-Mar-16 15:39:19

We are off to De Vossemeren in August, Lovingkent. We will make sure we avoid the route through Antwerp now so am pleased I saw your post. It will be our first time to a European Center Parcs so not sure what to expect, but have heard positive things about De Vossemeren from others who have been so am looking forward to it. smile

Madcats Fri 18-Mar-16 15:17:16

Oh we're off to De Vossemeren late August too (DH is taking the opportunity to go to the Belgian GP). 562 euro for 4 nights (we got a discount for booking early and another for taking kids outside of the Belgian school hols).

Sunparks is a more basic version of Centreparcs (owned by the same group). Their village at De Haan am See was an easy drive from Dunkirk and the beaches are lovely. Bruges was a short drive away. We'd go back (but would definitely pay for the premium villa and make sure we weren't allocated a villa next to the dog toilet!). We used booking.com to organise this stay because they seemed to offer a nightly rate (rather than 3 night weekend/4 night midweek).

pinkchampagne1 Fri 18-Mar-16 20:27:37

I wonder if we will be there the same week! We go on Monday 29th August. We booked early so got the early booking and family discount. It worked out less than half the price of the same 4 nights in the UK. Really looking forward to it. Will it be your first time there too?

Yika Fri 18-Mar-16 20:33:05

I've been to de Vossemeren and Kempervennen - I slightly preferred the latter I think. De Vossemeren has a great indoor pirate ship play area which is good for younger kids. I liked the snow centre at de Kempervennen and somehow I liked the layout of the site better though the accommodation seemed a bit old and tired. (I didn't mind - we had a very nice, relaxing week there.)

2016namechangecomingalong Fri 18-Mar-16 20:36:51

We went to de kempervennen last August. The snow some was fab and the kids spent a lot of time in there. Not much of a fan of centerparcs generally but I think it was the same as most. Certainly DS said the dome was very similar to elveden (he had been without us).

We stayed in a VIP lodge for half the price of a comfort lodge in the UK in the same week and did a kayaking trip out too. The lodge had been recently done up and was fine.

Pootles2010 Fri 18-Mar-16 20:41:07

We went to Erperheide - but our 'other end' (oo-err) is rotterdam, so maybe too far for you? They are really good, less commercial but we liked that. Can really recommend the bbq package, but do it early in the week because you get so much food it's ridiculous.

pinkchampagne1 Fri 18-Mar-16 20:42:57

I was tempted by De Kempervennen as some friends had been and really enjoyed it. I also heard positive reviews from those who had tried De Vossemeren and went for that option in the end as it worked out slightly cheaper. The snow dome sounds great - my boys enjoy skiing so think we will try Kempervennen next year.

VinoEsmeralda Fri 18-Mar-16 20:46:13

We have been to 'de Kempervennen' twice and loved it the first time. Second time the first weekend was lovely and then there was a change over and it went down hill.

I can really recommend Landal Greenparcs in Holland, even cheaper and some ( Lommerbergen is one and two more which I cant remember the name off) used to be Centre Parcs ... We went to Hoog Vaals and all 4 of us enjoyed it there. Similar to CP but smaller scale, very friendly staff, great Spa, loads to do nearby.

We used to go to CP all the time when I was a kid.

pinkchampagne1 Fri 18-Mar-16 20:51:15

How do you feel the European Center Parcs compare to the UK ones? We normally go to Elveden. This is the first time we have tried one abroad.

baddabingbaddabong Fri 18-Mar-16 20:55:54

I think the European and UK ones are run by different companies

pinkchampagne1 Fri 18-Mar-16 21:18:04

Yes I heard that was the case. It was worked out so much cheaper than the equivalent in the UK that I was wondering if there was a catch!

thatsthewayitgoes Fri 18-Mar-16 21:40:04

We went to Les Bois Francs in France last October and had a blast. Was as good as Elveden, with croissants and French wine. And about half the price even with travel costs.

thatsthewayitgoes Fri 18-Mar-16 21:42:10

Meant to add, it was approx 3 hour easy drive from Calais. winewinewine

pinkchampagne1 Sat 19-Mar-16 09:02:52

Should have said 'it has worked out so much cheaper.' Silly predictive text!

There are so many Parcs to choose from, it was difficult to know which one to choose so great to hear all the feedback from different Parcs. smile

Madcats Sat 19-Mar-16 19:08:28

@pinkchampagne I think we'll be there at the same time with DD (will be 9 by then)
This will be our first Euro Centre Parcs (and, yes, they are now different companies). For me it will be interesting to compare it with Lalandia (opposite Legoland) in Denmark and De Efteling/ Bosrijk if we are in Netherlands.

I allowed ourselves an extra "beach" day at the end of the holiday as we always seem to just dash down for a quick paddle. Any suggestions of a beach on the Belgian/France border with a nice seafood restaurant or 2 nearby would be welcome.

pinkchampagne1 Sun 20-Mar-16 11:39:42

I have heard really good feedback from friends who have tried De Vossemeren out, Madcats. There is apparently a fantastic indoor play area with sand and water, high ropes etc. They also have a free petting zoo and a nice indoor area to chill in the evening which has real parrots, flamingoes (I think) and turtles. I have heard the pool is very similar to the one at Elveden.

Sorry, can't help with beaches around that area as am not familiar with Belgium. A beach day with a nice seafood restaurant sounds good though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now