Talk

Advanced search

EASYJET - Cabin bags in hold

(10 Posts)
westcountrywoman Fri 26-Feb-16 14:12:34

Does anyone have experience of EasyJet making you put your cabin bags in the hold if the flight is busy?

I'm planning to put my small handbag in my cabin suitcase to comply with the 1 bag per passenger rule. However, should they ask me to put the bag in hold, as they sometime do when busy, will they let me remove my handbag first and take it with me into the cabin?

I've phoned them for clarification but can't get a straight answer. Just wondering if anyone has experience of this.

HRHsherlockssextoy Fri 26-Feb-16 14:18:51

My husband works for the other one that nobody likes...

He said you can take your handbag with you, as it can go under the seat.

Get to the gate early as the later ones are more likely to have bags removed than those at the front. Although,my they ask first.

PatriciaHolm Fri 26-Feb-16 14:20:28

Yes of course, they aren't going to grab it off you and run ;-) as long as your separate handbag is small enough to go under the seat, you'll be fine.

SweetAdeline Fri 26-Feb-16 14:21:56

I think you'll be fine. They normally go up the queue at the gate and tell you if they want you to put it in the hold. They'll give you a tag for it. There will be plenty of opportunity for you to get your handbag out.

strandedabroad Fri 26-Feb-16 14:24:10

They definitely will. I have had my cabin bag put in the hold a few times with EasyJet and they always give you time to get your things out. They can't force it off you :-)

Or you could do it the other way - keep your handbag out separately until you're sure that the bag is coming with you, and then put it in.

Chasingsquirrels Fri 26-Feb-16 14:25:10

I thought you were allowed 1 cabin bag plus 1 small handbag now?

I really don't think it I'll be an issue if your handbag is small enough to go under the seat in front, and they are hardly likely to snatch your cabin bag from you not allowing you time to remove your handbag.

We do hand luggage only and have 4 cabin bags with all our stuff, plus I have a small day pack with the stuff we want for the flight, pre the rule change to allow a small handbag I'd put the day pack in one of the cabin packs.
I'd happily have them take the cabin bags off me for the flight, but I'm not paying for them to do so.

PurpleAlerts Fri 26-Feb-16 14:34:04

The last time we flew with easy jet they have asked to take our hand luggage and put it in the hold.

We knew they had started to do this so we deliberately got up to the gate and were lined up at the barrier first in the queue (not sitting down on the chairs like all the others.)This woman came over and said we have to put your bags in the hold. I told her no and that she should ask someone who was still in the queue as we had made sure we were up there early to avoid losing our bags. We had already been delayed an hour so didn't want to get held up at the other end waiting for our luggage. She insisted and again we said no. She was most peeved but went off and asked some other people.

Ryan air do this too- my MiL had her cabin bag taken off her when we went away with her last year. She was one of the last on the plane so at least they did it fairly.

budgiegirl Fri 26-Feb-16 15:15:43

I thought you were allowed 1 cabin bag plus 1 small handbag now?

No, for basic fares, they only allow one piece of cabin baggage, they asked me at the gate to put my handbag into my cabin bag to comply with this rule. I think some of the more expensive fares (extra leg room etc) can have a cabin bag plus a handbag.

Chasingsquirrels Fri 26-Feb-16 17:08:04

Ah, I know Ryanair changed their rules and thought it was regulations which had changed, not just Ryanair.

westcountrywoman Sat 27-Feb-16 20:47:09

Thanks everyone. Sounds like I'll be ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now