Talk

Advanced search

Anyone been to see Otzi the Iceman in Italy?

(11 Posts)
stealtheatingtunnocks Sun 21-Feb-16 13:47:36

I'd really like to take the kids to see Otzi.

We can fly to Munich and get the train to Italy. Then do some mountain scenery type stuff.

Anyone been and got some Top Tips?

We've never taken the kids abroad, it'd be Very Exciting.

www.iceman.it/en/node/419

allegretto Sun 21-Feb-16 18:04:09

Yes, thought it was ages ago. I can remember queueing for ages so if you can get tickets in advance I would recommend that. It's not too far from Merano which has a great (public) spa that is very child-friendly and Bolzano is quite nice too - from there you could always get the cable car up to the Altopiano where there are nice farms to stay at.

stealtheatingtunnocks Sun 21-Feb-16 18:15:10

Ooooh, smashing. Thanks, Allegretto, will go and start googling. Farms sound lovely.

SurelyYoureJokingMrFeynman Sun 21-Feb-16 18:21:46

If Otzi interests you, did you know you can see a bog man the UK: Lindow man is in the British Museum.

(Think there may be others elsewhere in UK or Ireland.)

LineyReborn Sun 21-Feb-16 18:24:30

Lindow Man is a good suggestion. No queues at all - he's just kind of there in his glass case. Quite sad really.

allegretto Sun 21-Feb-16 18:24:45

Forgot to say the Altopiano is called Renon: travel.ritten.org/

stealtheatingtunnocks Sun 21-Feb-16 18:29:05

I did not know they had him in the British Museum, thanks, Surely!

The kids are interested in kind of gory history, and, particularly how people lived - like most kids.

DD's doing German, DH is fluent in German and speaks Italian sounds fluent to me, would be great to get her asking for the way to the Schloss. My German is limited to "Zwei beir, bitte". My accent's as good as my spelling.

stealtheatingtunnocks Sun 21-Feb-16 18:32:03

Yep, Liney, DH and I went to see a viking longship in Stockholm. They had bones of the people who'd drowned on the boat in a glass case. I did think it was a shame - as well as fascinating to get a glimpse of their lives.

stealtheatingtunnocks Sun 21-Feb-16 18:32:26

Thanks, Allegreto.

SurelyYoureJokingMrFeynman Sun 21-Feb-16 19:08:02

Sounds like the Sutton Hoo ship burial (Anglo-Saxon) and the Vindolanda tablets (correspondence by Roman families living on Hadrian's wall - includes birthday party invitation and people complaining about the roads), might interest the DC as well, if you ever get to the BM.

stealtheatingtunnocks Tue 23-Feb-16 11:10:20

That's great, thanks, Surely.

Am on it - got a hundred tabs open and a blokie refusing to engage in organising a holiday as per usual

So much to do, we're so lucky here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now