Talk

Advanced search

Good weather holiday in Europe end May/start June

(11 Posts)
Filiboom Sat 20-Feb-16 20:30:20

Hi there. We are hoping to have a fortnight with our 2 DSs (just 3 and 4.5) somewhere warm/hot in Europe. We'd like to be in a Villa, preferably with a pool, and near a beach (but can be a shortish drive away). The last few family holidays we have had have been fairly basic in UK as money has been tight, but I have a job again and we've come into a bit of money so we can afford something a bit special (and would prefer a posher holiday in off peak times than a more basic one in the summer, plus this is our last year where we're not tied to school holidays).

However, I feel like I am drowning in choice (and overwhelmed as about to start work too) and am getting v close to just booking somewhere through one of the holiday outfits like Tots to Travel or Simpsons. None of the places they have, however, look quite right, or they're heading into the silly prices (£5k+ for a fortnight, not including flights or car hire). We're happy to spend a bit, but not that much.

Please could anyone recommend a good location for us of somewhere hot enough to enjoy being outside and a paddle in the sea/swim in a pool. If anyone can recommend any good companies/villas/someone who will organise us something lovely, that would be amazing. Holiday booking is not my strong suit (and even less for DH). Pre-children, we went on fairly outdoorsy holidays (skiing, climbing, walking), but the boys are too little for that and we are too tired!

Bunbaker Sat 20-Feb-16 20:54:54

We have been to Crete twice at that time of year and had great weather. Good enough to swim in the sea. We have also been to Croatia and had really hot weather the first time and disappointing weather the second time. Majorca was wet when we went.

Costacoffeeplease Sat 20-Feb-16 21:13:43

The Algarve? I live in Carvoeiro, quite a small resort but sandy beach and lots of choice of villas and plenty of restaurants - happy to answer any questions

Morkmindy Mon 22-Feb-16 14:53:07

Well, if you're not tied to school holidays, I would avoid May half term which is the last week of May/beginning of June for most of the country. Flights outside of this week should still be fairly reasonable. You'll get more for your money if you DIY. Expensive villas and resorts are definitely cheaper in May/June than August as well as far less crowds (which are the main reasons we like to go at this time). Locations we've been to and would recommend include Sardinia, Sicily, Italy and Portugal.

I have used to book Chia Laguna twice.

For Sicily, we have stayed here which was fab.

HTH

Hersetta427 Tue 23-Feb-16 09:47:28

One of the western creek islands like kos or Cyprus.

AlpacaLypse Tue 23-Feb-16 09:56:06

Came on to say Crete. We went in April and it was like June in England - although the sea and the swimming pools were pretty chilly.

Friends who have permanent holiday homes in a couple of different Greek Islands tell me that despite what one sees on the news, the refugees are not seriously interfering with the Greek core business of welcoming holidaymakers. I certainly don't want to see the Greek tourist industry fail because northern Europeans are too frightened to come and visit.

mummymeister Tue 23-Feb-16 20:17:32

If you go in May half term then the prices will be high. avoid the 27th May to the 5th June and it will be much, much cheaper. don't go in school hols until you have to.

Hoppinggreen Tue 23-Feb-16 20:20:45

We go to The Spanish Algarve ( Costa de la luz) at that time of year and the weather is usually sunny and high 20's. Or more

Filiboom Wed 24-Feb-16 06:40:22

Hi there and thank you for these replies. Sorry for not coming back to this thread sooner, I managed to break my foot and got a bit distracted from these replies....

I think we've decided on Andalucia - my husband isn't a fan of beaches or just lazing holidays. He'll tolerate them for the DSs, but I don't really want to make it just a beach holiday for two weeks. I'm hoping he'll come round to the idea though as I'd love to go to the Greek islands one day.

eurochick Wed 24-Feb-16 07:13:33

Many Greek islands have Ancient Greek sites to poke around and mountains to explore. They are not only for beach holidays. But I am sure Andalucia will be lovely!

Filiboom Wed 24-Feb-16 16:42:27

May be I should look at Greece again.... I had a quick poke around on Tots to Travel and similar and holidays in Greece seemed even more expensive and/or resorts, so I didn't explore further.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now