Easter weekend - Barcelona or Stockholm?

(25 Posts)
Dancergirl Fri 12-Feb-16 11:44:26

We want to go away over the Easter weekend, dds are 14, 13 and 9.

We've been on a couple of cruises in recent years so have a got a taster of quite a few cities. We are considering either Barcelona or Stockholm. I know Stockholm is very expensive but when we visited the city during the cruise, we wasted a lot of time due to be stuck in traffic on the tour bus. So it would be nice to see it properly.

Dh has also thought of Edinburgh as a possibility.

Will everything be open over the Easter weekend? We can't take any more time as dd2 is back at school on the Tuesday!

Cleebope Fri 12-Feb-16 18:55:02

Never been to Stockholm but have had brilliant wknds in both Barcelona and Edinburgh with kids a bit younger than yours. Great hop on hop off buses etc. Edinburgh Dungeon fab!! Dynamic Earth , castle, great multi buy ction tickets. Barcelona better for sun obviously! I'm sure any of the 3 will be excellent. Well jel!

thisismypassword Fri 12-Feb-16 19:01:10

Stockholm is boring. Never been to Barcelona

Cleebope Fri 12-Feb-16 19:07:31

Plus Barcelona will have Easter parades and festivals on if u look them up.

Dancergirl Fri 12-Feb-16 19:18:35

Really thisis? When we were there there seemed to be loads to do but we were stuck on the bus angry

Everyone says Barcelona is fantastic so maybe we'll do that.

angelcake20 Sat 13-Feb-16 00:40:04

I really like both Barcelona and Stockholm, though know Barcelona far better. Barcelona does have loads more to do but mostly Stockholm will still be pretty cold at Easter and quite a bit of stuff is only geared up for a tourist season from June-September so I'd leave Stockholm until the summer.

SJane45S Sat 13-Feb-16 06:58:29

Stockholm isn't boring! It's a beautiful city with a great deal to do! However, with kids it would be better to go in the summer - as someone else has pointed out, it'll still be pretty cold. Of the 2 cities, I prefer Stockholm but with kids st Easter I'd plump for Barcelona. It's a lot cheaper than Stockholm, will be a lot warmer and is very easy to get around.

eurochick Sat 13-Feb-16 07:22:27

Bear in mind lots of stuff will be closed in Barcelona over Easter. Easter is a big deal there.

Dancergirl Sat 13-Feb-16 14:32:03

That's what worries me about Barcelona euro

juneau Sat 13-Feb-16 14:43:22

Watch out for the pickpockets in Barcelona! Both my DH and my buddy got robbed there (Las Ramblas used to be notorious - I expect it still is). Its a great city if you're careful though and it has a beach.

I love Edinburgh. We're going next weekend. There is masses to do and lots of great places to eat.

Haven't been to Stockholm, so can't comment.

superram Sat 13-Feb-16 15:00:51

Probably my 3 favourite cities. We went to Stockholm at new year and although cold it didn't spoil our time. I would go for the cheapest!

iseenodust Sat 13-Feb-16 15:09:34

Stockholm is fab. We spent a week there last summer & were not bored at all. Eating was expensive but DS age11 got free travel on the water buses and free entry to some things.
If you choose Edinburgh it will be the Edinburgh science festival which runs lots of activities/demonstrations/talks suitable for DC.

Dancergirl Sat 13-Feb-16 15:10:34

What's the Abba museum like in Stockholm? And I can't remember what it's called but there's a wooden village type thing??

iseenodust Sat 13-Feb-16 18:05:43

The Abba museum was a blast from my past but DS enjoyed it too as there are a number of interactive bits.
Skansen is the history & wildlife place in the city. We spent nearly a whole day there but it was hot and had bbq lunch outside which won't hold the same appeal at Easter. They do talks in English throughout the day. A number of friends recommended the Vasa museum but we never got there.
The theme park in the city is compact but has a couple of big rides and as a bonus we paid very little in entrance fee for me as I had no intention of doing rides (so didn't feel as stung as in the UK). Queues were short so DH & DS went on rides multiple times.
The Nobel Museum (Institute?) has free entrance for children up to 16 I think, but you would need to make sure you went for the English speaking tour which is good and only one hour. It's situated in a cobbled square with plenty of cafes in the old town.

SJane45S Sat 13-Feb-16 21:14:50

The Vasa museum is pretty interesting - the ship is spectacular. My DD was a little scared of the skeletons but far more so by the Mummies at the British Museum. If you go to Stockholm, it's worth a visit.

ThisFenceIsComfy Sat 13-Feb-16 21:16:26

I've been to both. Stockholm is more expensive and less kid orientated. Barcelona is cheaper and has loads for kids.

ThisFenceIsComfy Sat 13-Feb-16 21:17:02

Personally I would do Barcelona with kids

midsomermurderess Sun 14-Feb-16 11:55:45

Barcelona really prepares for a huge influx of visitors both nationally and from abroad over Easter. On the metro, at the stations, there are loads of people with red T shirts on hand to give you directions etc. As others have said, there is a lot to do but be prepared for crowds everywhere and massive queues.
I am a bit biased about Edinburgh as it's home, but my one concern would be the weather given how early Easter is.

Dancergirl Sat 20-Feb-16 18:20:33

We're not too bothered about the weather tbh and don't really need it to be child centred, older two are interested in culture etc, even dd3 enjoys cities.

poshtottyx Sat 20-Feb-16 18:47:16

have you thought of Ljubljana ?
a little bit different smile
it's gorgeous,lots to do masses of castles & trendy little restaurants.
If you do go visit Nebotičnik for the views,central market for a good old root around & the triple bridge & riverside.
Grand Union hotel was lovely
have a lovely time wherever you all end up

Dancergirl Mon 22-Feb-16 15:49:52

Dd wants to go to Salzburg to do sound of music tour!

Pinkheart5915 Mon 22-Feb-16 15:52:54

I really like Barcelona one of my fav places

Dancergirl Thu 24-Mar-16 11:24:57

After all that we have booked to go to Edinburgh, flights were too expensive for Barcelona or Stockholm.

NoOneIsInterested Thu 24-Mar-16 11:29:42

I hope you had a brill time. I've recently been to all three cities and loved all of them.

NoOneIsInterested Thu 24-Mar-16 11:30:05

Have not had

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now