Just booked for Kefalonia in August - excited! What's great there?

(21 Posts)
IHeartKingThistle Thu 11-Feb-16 16:02:36

We've booked a villa in Old Skala and will be hiring a car. Anyone been? I'd love some recommendations of beaches, restaurants, towns, things to do etc.

Love having a holiday booked after spending a gazillion hours searching grin

mummymeister Thu 11-Feb-16 16:08:01

we went some time ago so what I am saying might no longer be true but it was incredibly picturesque with some lovely unspoilt bits. went to fiskado and also out and about on our bikes.

IHeartKingThistle Thu 11-Feb-16 16:48:40

Ooh lovely. I can't wait!

ZedWoman Thu 11-Feb-16 18:35:36

I haven't been since 2003, so any resort/restaurant recommendations would be totally out of date. However, we really enjoyed:

Beaches:

Antisamos (near Sami)
Petani (north west of the island)
Myrtos (north of the island)

All are chalky pebbles and were beautifully clean when we went. Antisamos was my favourite.

Melissani caves are well worth the visit, as are the sea mills at Katavothres near Argostoli where the water is sucked down under the island.

Take a ferry from Sami to Ithaka which is a lovely little island. We had a fantastic kleftiko in Frikes harbour.

We hired a Jimny and DH drove it across the top of Mt Aenos. It was terrifying (for me, DH thought it was great) but the views were well worth it.

Assos fortress is lovely.

We also visited a the old Venetian castle of Agios Georgios which was undergoing some restoration when we last visited. The 'cafe' nearest the entrance was owned by a crazy English couple who'd managed to acquire various leftover props from 'the film' and were happy to chuck foam hand grenaades around the place.

There are various Robola wine co-operatives that are worth visiting.

IHeartKingThistle Thu 11-Feb-16 18:43:00

That all sounds amazing, thanks for the info!

SoMuchToBits Thu 11-Feb-16 18:43:27

We stayed in Fiskardo last year - and the year before! Absolutely lovely place. Our favourite restaurants there were Lagoudera II and Ellie's. You can get boat trips from there (although they take a large portion of the day), or hire small boats to take out yourself (we did this last year).

We also went to Assos, and walked up to the fortress.

We didn't travel much further afield, as didn't have a car, but still had a fantastic time.

wannabestressfree Thu 11-Feb-16 18:44:49

Definitely hire a car.... it's fun to explore and watch the heat. It's 'my god' hot....

IHeartKingThistle Thu 11-Feb-16 19:10:02

Oh god is it really that hot? I used to hate the heat but I've been loving it the last few years in Majorca. We had 33 degrees last year - will it be hotter than that???? Hoping I'm not going to roast! I am pale!

wannabestressfree Thu 11-Feb-16 19:14:08

I went last year and it was boiling....

SoMuchToBits Thu 11-Feb-16 19:14:08

We were there late August, and it didn't get much above 30, and it was a dry heat, often with a breeze. It was hot, but not ridiculous.

IHeartKingThistle Thu 11-Feb-16 19:18:07

We're going 21st August.

tangerinesarenottheonlyfruit Thu 11-Feb-16 19:56:47

No tips as it was so long ago, can't remember the names of anything, but it was beautiful!

Donge13 Thu 11-Feb-16 20:07:20

It's my favourite place.
Agostoli is fantastic, the turtles are by the boats every day about 12. It's also great for food.
Melissani caves are also worth a trip.
A visit to the vineyards are a must.
And Costa Costa beach in lassi is fantastic, waiter service from your sun lounger.
Enjoy your holiday smile

IHeartKingThistle Thu 11-Feb-16 21:17:30

Real turtles???

Donge13 Thu 11-Feb-16 21:26:32

Yes and they are huge! You can see them really easily as they are swimming by the fishing boats, you will know where they are as there will be a little crowd of people taking photos.
After you have seen the turtles i would recommend Lunch at the captains table restaurant. It is on the front and is lovely.

IHeartKingThistle Thu 11-Feb-16 21:27:20

We are there! Thank you!

Donge13 Thu 11-Feb-16 21:43:34

It was a lovely way to kill a afternoon

IHeartKingThistle Thu 11-Feb-16 21:52:05

Oh lovely turtle smile

girlywhirly Fri 12-Feb-16 09:48:03

If you are staying in Old Skala, you can get a boat trip to Ithaca from Skala beach; you book at a little open air desk next to the Anassa hotel on the sea front. You pay on the day of the trip in cash only, then queue on the beach to get on the boat. Take swimwear as they have a couple of swim stops. They also do trips to Fiskardo and Zante.

Golden eagles in the mountains, you may be lucky enough to see them.

When you get there, try to get hold of a Skala 3D tourist map, it will show you where all the hotels/bars/tavernas etc are. There are the remains of a roman villa near the beach, some nicely restored mosaics. As far as I know there is no charge for seeing them. Pop in to Veronica's jewellers, lovely things and reasonably priced, on the main street. You will probably need neoprene swimming shoes as well for the beach as it is a mixture of coarse sand and gravel/stones.

I was there last year and the temp was in the high 30's. On the plus side the sea was warm which it isn't at the start of the season. There were a couple of turtle nests next to each other down at one end of Skala beach, roped off. I often wonder how many little ones hatched and are still living.

One of the best innovations was at the airport going back. After you check in and drop your luggage off, you have the option to go back outside and down the road to a taverna, rather than boil inside the terminal building! You do need to keep an eye on the time though, but you can get food and a cold drink before you fly. Tiny airports don't do very well on the catering side I've found.

5BlueHydrangea Fri 12-Feb-16 10:03:31

We went there in 2004. Took a trip to Melissani lake (caves) Had a boat trip run by an old (like 80!) Greek tour guide. Most of the guests were Greek so he chattered away to them. Every so often he looked at us and shouted "You, English!" Then told us something. Very funny! Great memory.
We went in August, was about 40 degrees! Far too hot for us. Luckily our apartments had a pool. We were near a Beach too although that required a walk down a long windy cliff road, then up again later!
We did experience a minor earthquake when we were there, woke up early one morning to feel the building shaking. Pool was all over the place. Quite surreal! Very little damage reported on the island, was 5.5 on the scale I think.
We hired a car and travelled around a lot. Hot but we saw loads. Dd and I enjoyed it but dh said his overwhelming memory of the holiday was driving around in the car!
I found the salty sea irritated my eyes quite a bit - much more than UK or anywhere else we've been. The others were fine though.
Have a great pic somewhere of dd (12) holding the most enormous watermelon we got from a market somewhere. Massive and cheap!

Was a great holiday. Loads of happy memories. Hopefully you'll love it.

IHeartKingThistle Fri 12-Feb-16 14:59:30

Thankyou so much for all the advice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now