Talk

Advanced search

Hand luggage only

(13 Posts)
bigbadbarry Tue 09-Feb-16 20:21:34

3 nights in Italy, hand luggage only. I usually have a lovely big checked-in case to fill with toiletries etc! Do I have to decant everything into a tiny bottle and keep it in clear plastic bag? Also toothpaste, deodorant... mascara? All in said plastic bag?
Any brilliant top tips for any other aspect gratefully received.

Kerberos Tue 09-Feb-16 20:22:41

Yep. Nothing bigger than a 100 ml bottle and must all fit in a small ziplock bag.

HeyNonnyMaybe Tue 09-Feb-16 20:26:30

Yep, everything in bottles of 100ml or less, totalling no more than 1000ml, in a clear plastic sealable bag.
3 nights? Easy peasy!

LumelaMme Tue 09-Feb-16 20:28:19

Wear your bulkiest clothes on the plane. Or, if you are planning on having luggage space to bring things back, pack your bulkiest clothes on the way out and wear them coming home.

P1nkP0ppy Tue 09-Feb-16 20:31:32

Easy, did carry on only for a week in Italy without any problems.
Just remember the ziplock bag isn't the biggest you can find, it's about 6" square? and includes lipstick, face cream etc.

FadedRed Tue 09-Feb-16 20:34:29

You need something like this, available at shops likes Boots/Supadrug or online.

bigbadbarry Tue 09-Feb-16 20:37:03

Oh yeah that looks good, faded - I can get to Boots tomorrow. Thanks smile

bigbadbarry Tue 09-Feb-16 20:38:43

Actually, my DH is on the same flight out and he'll have checked-in luggage, so I can just bung my stuff in his case! Dur.
Last time I flew out of Italy there was no need for decanted toiletries etc - but that was Venice, this will be Milan. Anybody know if I need to stick to these rules on the way back home?

HeyNonnyMaybe Wed 10-Feb-16 09:21:01

Yep, everywhere is the same.

girlywhirly Wed 10-Feb-16 11:22:40

Look in Boots/Superdrug for travel sizes of toiletries, they also do tiny tubes of toothpaste. You also have the option to buy from the airport branches of Boots after security, and if you end up with more than the total 1000ml on the return you can bin what you don't want/cheapest. A lot of the travel sizes are around 50ml, but check each product.

If you need lots of products, look for 50ml containers to decant into (some of these are up to 100ml), you will get more items into the poly bag. Look for dual purpose products like tinted moisturiser so that you do not need facial moisturiser and foundation. Remember that wet wipes do not count as liquid, gel or paste, so make the most of these for make-up removal, facial cleansing etc. I think you can even get deodorant wipes.

bigbadbarry Wed 10-Feb-16 11:58:50

Thank you smile Getting excited now.

AlpacaLypse Wed 10-Feb-16 12:12:29

Thanks for this - adding to Watch for exactly the same reason! Except we're going to Barcelona not Milan...

specialsubject Fri 12-Feb-16 21:00:19

rules cover liquids, gels and pastes; that's most toiletries and slap.

bag is 20cm x 20cm, buy some sandwich bags. Poundland for the travel bottles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now