Talk

Advanced search

The Canaries?

(9 Posts)
PollyPerky Sat 06-Feb-16 11:42:33

Desperate for some sun and warmth but don't want long haul.

Have always avoided the Canaries because assumed they were a bit 'chavvy' and totally without character and culture.

Can anyone persuade me otherwise- which island, which towns? Self catering- so villas.

magimedi Sat 06-Feb-16 11:46:50

I've been to Lanzarote, Gran Canaria, Fuerteventura & Tenerrife.

Culture wise I think Lanzarote has it - certainly for a first visit as there is so much to do related to CesarManrique and the Timanfaya National Park.

But, it is much windier than Tenerife - my favourite. Frankly at this time of year you are just so bloody grateful to get the sun on your face & be able to be outside that that over rides everything else. Bits of all the islands are very tacky, bits aren't pick your resort & you'll be fine.

Annarose2014 Sat 06-Feb-16 11:51:11

I loved Melonares/Maspalomas on GC. Miles from the nightclubs, just lovely quiet and quite fancy hotels.

Our hotel was full of Germans which turned out well as german children are pretty quiet! So it was all very pleasant.

We got stunning weather in October and the flight wasn't too long. Will definitely be back.

TripAdvisor really helps picking resorts as there's so many to choose from.

PolovesTubbyCustard Sun 07-Feb-16 10:36:10

I really like Puerto de la cruz on Tenerife. far less built up and touristy than the larger resorts on the south.

I have been to all four of the main Islands -numerous times - and think that each has its own charms. There are interesting, cultural things to do on all.

ChubbyPolecat Sun 07-Feb-16 10:38:27

I loved Costa adeje in tenerife. Nice beaches within walking distance, ditto bars and restaurants and shops. We went up mount teide and that was just stunning. It was touristy but not chavvy

Peregrina Sun 07-Feb-16 22:01:15

Yes to both Costa Adeje in Tenerife and to Lanzarote. Have been to both with extended family and we are divided as to which one we prefer. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

BarbaraofSeville Mon 08-Feb-16 10:56:40

This thread might be of some use to you OP.

I don't think you are after quite what the OP of that thread wanted, which was a bit confusing, but I think you were along similar lines.

Bunbaker Mon 08-Feb-16 21:03:12

There are other, far less touristy islands in the Canaries - La Palma, La Gomera and El Hierro. I would love to visit La Palma.

pinkchampagne1 Wed 10-Feb-16 09:30:53

Another vote for Costa Ageje in Tenerife. We stayed in a lovely all inclusive hotel in Costa Adeje last October and have booked again for this year. The weather was gorgeous all week (very end of Oct) and it didn't feel chavvy at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now