Talk

Advanced search

Ireland - just three days, where to go?

(15 Posts)
PrettyPirate Thu 04-Feb-16 16:13:21

Planning a short trip to Ireland in May with my mum but only have couple of days. I would like to do more than just Dublin, we could hire a car to see bit more of the country. But where would you recommend to go?
Planning to fly early on Monday and come back late on Wednesday, so we would have 3 days. Either of us never been.
Where would you go?

Eve Thu 04-Feb-16 16:18:18

wicklow - powerscourt, glendalough all in a day trip. via Bray,

Then Dublin itself - shopping, trinity college, bus tour, Guinness factory, Bewleys for breakfast

out to Howth on the DART.

BelfastSmile Thu 04-Feb-16 16:19:22

Co Wicklow (south of Dublin) is very nice, and you can get a train out to some of the little towns - Greystones, Bray etc. In nice weather they're lovely.

Further afield, there's the Ring of Kerry, which I've heard is stunning, or Galway city.

I think I'd be inclined to stay around Dublin, though, and do it 'properly', and then return to check out the west and the north at another time.

NewYearsAoibhe Thu 04-Feb-16 16:30:21

If I only had three days in Ireland, I'd be spending it in Galway or Cork (both vibrant, bustling, but compact and easily navigable once you get your bearings) instead of Dublin, so that I could soak up the atmosphere and relax. Also, you have lovely and much easier (in terms of traffic etc.) day trips into gorgeous Counties Galway and Clare, or Cork (there's no beating West Cork for beauty) and Kerry.

I love Dublin, but for a three day break I'd rather get a lot out of a small city, than a little out of a big one, if that makes sense.

AFingerofFudge Thu 04-Feb-16 21:39:18

I'd fly to Knock airport in the west, hire a car and go to Westport (less than an hours drive I think) , base yourself there and explore some of the coast, one day up to Achill , then the next maybe down through Connemara- beautiful. Westport is a great town, lots of great places to eat and drink, beautiful scenery and ( I know it's a cliche) friendly people!

PrettyPirate Fri 05-Feb-16 12:24:56

Thank you so much everyone! I know we don't want to have manic three days rushing around and there's lots to see.
I like the ideas of skipping Dublin completely and do either Cork + surrounding area, or Galway + area. But I will look into other suggestions too!!
<off to spend another day ignoring messy house/laundry pile and looking pretty photos of Ireland>

vitaminC Fri 05-Feb-16 12:27:43

If I had 3 days in Ireland, I'd fly to Cork instead of Dublin and visit the south coast on one day (Kinsale is lovely!), the Blarney castle and surrounding area on another day and Cork itself on the third day.

Annarose2014 Fri 05-Feb-16 12:30:30

I wouldnt be arsed doing Dublin either. A capital city is a capital city. Lots of traffic and shops. And most of those shops you'd have at home.

Galway is a good base. You can do the Ring of Kerry in a day from Galway.

Bear in mind though it is the Atlantic coast, and the weather is very wild. Lots of waterproof jackets and shoes. Its not a fancy city AT ALL so you needn't bring "nice" clothes even to eat out. Very laid back.

CountryCousin Fri 05-Feb-16 12:31:57

I'd say the West Coast too. Cork is somehow more rewarding than Dublin.

There's a mountainous pass between Dingle and Tralee that is breathtaking. (Though scary if you find yourself unexpectedly list on it as the dusk falls ...hmm)

But the whole area is just the best driving fun.

CountryCousin Fri 05-Feb-16 12:33:14

Lost not list!

PrettyPirate Fri 05-Feb-16 14:42:35

I'd love some fun driving CountryCousin! As my mum can't do long walks due to old injury I'm thinking more driving sightseeing would appeal her more too.

CountryCousin Fri 05-Feb-16 14:53:04

The West Coast is fabulous for that. Or was. I'm sure it's changed in the last 20 years - but you used to be able to drive for 15 minutes without passing another car!

Great restaurants, lovely B&Bs with rooms available at a moment's notice. Art, crafts, beaches, shopping. Very friendly locals. And the sheer emerald green everywhere.

I'd associate the concert/theatre scene more with Dublin but I'm sure my experience is somewhat out of date.

CestTout Fri 05-Feb-16 15:01:30

If driving is easier with your Mum I would def say West too. West Cork is gorgeous and the Ring of Kerry is easy from there too. Plus Cork airport is tiny whereas Dublin (certainly T1 -Ryanair) has quite a bit of walking from the plane to departures. There are travelators but still... Cork you'll eb through in 10/15 mins!

Shopgirl1 Sat 06-Feb-16 09:54:47

I think if it's your first time in Ireland it would be a mistake to not spend some time in Dublin. You could see a lot in a day - the open top bus tour would be a good way to get around to lots easily. Dublin has a huge amount to offer culturally, it would be a shame to miss it.
If you want to see some country and another city you could go to Galway early on day 2, it's only a couple of hours, maybe drive on to Connemara for the afternoon, stay in Galway that night, lots of great pubs there for the evening, spend the morning in Galway city and then back to Dublin airport for your flight depending on what time that is.
That's if you want to see the west. I think I would be inclined to just do Dublin and north Wicklow, lovely scenery there, the Wicklow mountains, Sally Gap, also the coast as others have mentioned - Bray and Greystones, you can get to both of these on the Dart so don't even need a car, maybe stop in Dun Laoighaire if you fancy walking the pier, although that's a bit of a walk.
If that's not enough you could also go out to Howth in North Co Dublin on the dart.

PrettyPirate Mon 08-Feb-16 12:53:17

Thanks again!!
I'm putting together couple of options for us - one is Cork and driving to west, Ring of Kerry and that.
Shopgirl1 has given me another doable option - especially there's more flight options to Dublin - we could arrive very early on Monday and leave very late evening on Wednesday, that gives us full 3 days. Flights to Cork from here and back are only once a day which is a shame.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now