Talk

Advanced search

Would you use a babysitter abroad?

(19 Posts)
FedoraTheExplora Sun 31-Jan-16 10:49:42

Starting to think about our first family holiday! I'm thinking Spain or Cyprus or somewhere thereabouts.

DP and I would love just one night where we could stay out a bit late and have a few drinks. But I'm not 100% sure on leaving DD (9 months but will probably be 14m when we go) with one of the hotel babysitters. Was wondering the MN consensus on this?

Also, if anyone has has any hotels with trusty babysitters that they could recommend I would be greatful. Anywhere really - just preferably warm but not scorching, with a few things to do e.g near a water park smile

FedoraTheExplora Sun 31-Jan-16 14:08:17

Anyone? smile

mummymeister Mon 01-Feb-16 09:48:47

No. I wouldn't. ask yourselves, would you leave your child alone for several hours in the UK with someone you had never met before, didn't have any references from, didn't know anything about them. No I wouldn't so why would I do it when I am on holiday. Its part of having kids, you have to look after them on holiday.

try somewhere with a kids club during the day that takes little ones so you get some alone time then. do check though that they take very little ones as most kids clubs start from around 3.

FedoraTheExplora Mon 01-Feb-16 10:07:03

Ok. I thought it might be possible to meet them and get references first.

mummymeister Mon 01-Feb-16 10:14:23

probably is Fedora but ask yourselves is this what you would do at home. if it is then go for it. I wouldn't leave my children with someone that I hadn't got references for that I had then followed up. you might think I am over reacting but I just don't know why anyone would do it to be honest. For the sake of one evening for a couple of hours, why would you go to all this bother. sorry, its one of the joys of children.

OldBeanbagz Mon 01-Feb-16 10:15:53

Personally i wouldn't and when my DC were smaller i never did. In Europe it so more acceptable to take kids out with you in the evening. We generally took DD or DS in the pushchair and they fell asleep in it.

I don't think you'd get to meet a babysitter beforehand and i certainly wouldn't risk putting them to sleep in case they woke up after you'd gone out to be met with a complete stranger. I wouldn't let anyone i'd never met look after my kids in this country, never mind abroad!

MrsMarigold Mon 01-Feb-16 10:25:02

Yes, if you could find someone local - maybe with UK experience as an au pair or something. Or alternatively hire an au pair from here - spanish or cypriot to accompany you on your trip and rent a villa.

seefeld Mon 01-Feb-16 11:29:13

We went on holiday with our DS when he was 14 months last year and we just put him to sleep in his buggy after doing his normal bedtime routine. We then wheeled him down to a bar/restaurant - nowhere too loud, obviously - and he snoozed happily while we ate. Worth considering, I too would be anxious about using an unknown babysitter.

FedoraTheExplora Mon 01-Feb-16 13:03:50

My DD is a great sleeper once she's asleep, but she won't fall asleep unless she's in her cot confused though I guess we could just transfer her into her buggy once she's asleep. Thanks for advice. smile

SooticaTheWitchesCat Tue 02-Feb-16 19:32:20

No, never. You would be leaving your child with a stranger and if you are abroad how do you know what rules they have for babysitting. Do they do all the checks on them?

I wouldn't take the risk.

FedoraTheExplora Tue 02-Feb-16 19:50:14

The hotels I've looked at do do DBS's etc. I was shocked with the responses I got as I read a similar thread from a few years ago that was about 60/40 in favour of doing it.

But your responses have swayed me and I agree that nothing is worth the risk of something awful happening and I couldn't really enjoy myself with the worry anyway.

mouldycheesefan Wed 03-Feb-16 14:20:52

Yes I have.
Have used childrens couriers at Eurocamp who do evening babysitting, nannies at neilsons who do evening sleep clubs and an English nanny/ babysitter when booked a Spanish apartment, recommended by the owners who had babies themselves. Emailed in advance with the English babysitter and trusted th companies to do the appropriate checks in the other cases.
Lots of companies offer evening babysitting with English nannies why not try one of those?

OuchLegoHurts Thu 04-Feb-16 22:48:30

I personally never risked that and I'm fairly laid back! We used to go out for a meal together, put them to bed and then have a few drinks out on the balcony...We brought a monitor so we could hear them...

MiddleClassProblem Thu 04-Feb-16 22:53:32

If it's a baby sitter through the hotel and they have uk quals or such and crb type check I would consider it but I'm too much of a worrier anyway so wouldn't enjoy being out without DD

If we went to Disney or somewhere and it was a hotel babysitter there I would be OK as they would be checked up to the eyeballs.

MazzleDazzle Thu 04-Feb-16 22:59:41

Yes we have.

I found a company via mumsnet. They were based in Tenerife. We made contact before we arrived and she came to our hotel to babysit on 3 occasions. The first two times were during the day for a few hours. Then the third time was at night so we could go for a meal on our own. Having a bit of time to ourselves made our holiday.

Ragusa Fri 12-Feb-16 23:24:48

I would go with someone like Esprit, neilson, Mark Warner etc and make sure any people were DBS checked. The only exception would be if I was going to a country with good regulation of childcare professionals (Sweden, finland).

BertieBotts Fri 12-Feb-16 23:28:29

You could do it through an agency. I guess you'll have to see how you feel when you get there? I don't think I could have left my PFB at that age unless it was with somebody I knew really well blush

Brnobaby Wed 28-Sep-16 08:27:30

Hi MazzleDazzle - which babysitting service did you use. I'm looking for one in northern Tenerife but having trouble finding one.

Natsku Wed 28-Sep-16 08:35:16

I used hotel childcare in Estonia but it wasn't babysitting in the room but someone looking after DD in the hotel's playroom and she was old enough to not need much care (could go to the toilet herself etc.) so was just someone to make sure she didn't leave the playroom or wander off with other hotel guests. Would do it again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now