Amsterdam - tell me!

(25 Posts)
EATmum Mon 25-Jan-16 20:45:46

Off for a 2 night break in Amsterdam with DH and no kids next month - I'm after recommendations and must-sees as well as tips to make the most of the trip. Very excited! Thanks.

sooperdooper Mon 25-Jan-16 20:50:59

I love Amsterdam!

Go to... The Ann Frank house, the house of Bols, the Van Gough museum, do a canal trip - we did a great one with pizza and a free bar grin the Heniken museum is a bit daft but we had a laugh, if you want to sample the local herbs go to the Grasshopper - it's a bit more user friendly than the brown cafes which can seem a bit intimidating (mostly cos I just was scared of making a fool of myself hmm)

Hiring bikes is fun, and the 'nine streets' I think it's called is a nice area for shopping

RumAppleGinger Mon 25-Jan-16 20:51:46

It's been a while but I loved Heineken factory tour and the Van Gogh museum. I also remember wondering around a tulip market that was beautiful but I couldnt even hazard a guess where it was as DH and I had indulged in some of the local delicacies by then.

Hangingbasket14 Mon 25-Jan-16 21:06:39

All of the above and Moeders for dinner, have recommended it on here before, very random but authentic food! Have fun, I love Amsterdam

Sidge Mon 25-Jan-16 21:10:04

Go for dinner at Haesje Claes - we had a fantastic meal there.

I also enjoyed the BodyWorks exhibition, but that's not particularly Dutch!

A canal boat trip is a lovely way to see the city.

I loved Amsterdam, it's so clean and friendly. The red light district at night is seedy but interesting in a strange way. I found it quite sad though.

The tram system is very efficient. Most of the city is walkable but wear comfy shoes.

sooperdooper Mon 25-Jan-16 21:44:15

Oh and get the train direct from the airport to the city centre, it's pretty cheap and quicker than a taxi smile

Onykahonie Tue 26-Jan-16 10:55:08

Get a 2 day tram pass from one of the kiosks just outside the station.
Eat out at one of the many Indonesian restaurants and try a rijsttafel (set meal with lots of small dishes). Visit the Rijksmuseum, Anne Frank House (book online in advance) and do a canal tour.

whostolethesocks Tue 26-Jan-16 19:27:31

I went in October with my son. We got the train from airport and walked to our hotel and walked everywhere while we were there. We did the Heinekein Experience (which he loved), Van Gogh museum, Anne Frank's house (get there very early to start queuing) and an evening canal trip. We ate at the restaurant Sidge recommended and also had Indonesian at Kantjil & je Tijger (both opposite our hotel but needed to be booked). Enjoy! It's brilliant!

Yes to an Indonesian meal.

Go on a double decker train to the Hague and/or Haarlem. And yes, the train from the airport into town is easy and cheap.

Have chips - they are gorgeous! To be eaten very messily, dolloped with mayo.

Our favourite thing was to just mooch around in the Jordaan area, going into tiny bars with just three old men in.

Misty9 Tue 26-Jan-16 23:09:25

We loved the Nemo science museum and pancake houses.

Misty9 Tue 26-Jan-16 23:10:15

Oops, no kids. But dh and I enjoyed it more than ds anyway grin

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Tue 26-Jan-16 23:13:08

All of the above, plus the handbag museum! (Must visit the loos there. Fabulous!) Also, there is a really old Riding Stables (Menage?) more or less in the centre of Amsterdam. Go meet and feed the horses, watch them doing their stuff, and go in the lovely tea rooms.

Onykahonie Wed 27-Jan-16 16:25:09

Forgot about the apple cake...you've got to try a piece of appeltaart!

Yes to apple tart. And waffles. And pancakes. And chips...did I mention chips? And what's that nunnery place right in the centre? Can't remember what it's called but it is v cute.

Hassled Wed 27-Jan-16 17:44:31

Stroop. You've got to have some Stroop. And it will be hard not to - it's everywhere.

I loved the bulb market. You have to buy the wackiest looking bulb you see.

Onykahonie Wed 27-Jan-16 18:48:16

Stop reminding me about all the good stuff there!
I want to go back :-(

Awks Thu 28-Jan-16 15:29:41

The nunnery place is the museum of Amsterdam. It's beautiful - you can just mooch in the garden or café if you don't want to go in.

There's a market called GasWeg on some Sundays. it's v authentic and trendy if you like that sort of thing.

There's a bar in De Pijp that's secret-y. You needed a password etc which sounded wanky but was actually brilliant www.myhiddengems.co.uk/2013/07/the-butcher-secret-bar-amsterdam-hidden-gem/

I don't think it was the museum of Amsterdam. It was a proper nunnery place, with real live nuns. I think it might have been this place.

Awks Thu 28-Jan-16 18:01:44

Remus I think you can walk through a corridor-y bit from your place into my place. Didn't know there were real live nuns there though. Bet they see some sights.

Branleuse Thu 28-Jan-16 18:02:22

for a 2 night break with no children, id spend the time either shagging, having coffee, stroopwaffles, wandering around soaking up the atmosphere.

Awks Thu 28-Jan-16 18:06:19

There's this tiny bar just off Dam Square called Café de Dam. It has great music and sing songs sometimes smile The best bit about it is you can sit in the huge open window and people watch as all the traffic, bikes and drunk people go by. The landlord is called Louis and he's very miserable Dutch. Try going to the loo there though, when you're mashed.

Awks Thu 28-Jan-16 18:08:56

First time we went, I thought everyone had lost their mate Charlie .....

Awks - the website says that they are real live single ladies! I had no idea it led into the museum - we missed that.

EATmum Fri 29-Jan-16 11:02:11

Wow thanks for all this. I've been without internet for a couple days and have just checked in and got all your feedback. Thanks so much. I can't wait to go! And a Handbag Museum! How did I not know about this??? Amazing.

rookiemere Fri 29-Jan-16 13:55:03

We did a nice dinner cruise, or they also have a cheese and wine cruise that is much less expensive www.lovers.nl/en/tickets-and-prices/candle-light-cruise

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now