Talk

Advanced search

Tenerife vs lanzarote for family holiday

(14 Posts)
Mumofmanychores Mon 25-Jan-16 09:21:59

It been quite a few years since we have been on holiday abroad and thinking of taking the kids away thus Aug 18, 13, 5 and 1. I went tenerife about 8 years ago and loved it although wasn't close to any beaches. Which area do you think is better out of playa Americas or Costa Adeje. We would plan to visit siam park as well as be good distance from sandy beaches.

Lanzarote I have heard it is a lovely place and wandered whether there was lots to do and see. What part is the best to stay for families and visiting places of interest.

TeenAndTween Mon 25-Jan-16 15:44:11

We like Lanzarote.

Unlike Tenerife it does not have a gigantic volcano stuck in the middle that you have to drive around to get anywhere. Lanzarote is also much less over developed.

We stay nearish the airport in Puerto del Carmen and from there do trips out to Timanfaya, Playa Blanca, Puerto Calero, the North. We hire a car and are independent. We're not ones for lazing on beaches, though there is a long one where we stay. Beaches not sandy except some down the bottom at Playa Blanca. Never been in August, would be far too hot for us.

DownstairsMixUp Mon 25-Jan-16 15:46:51

We went Lanzarote in 2013. We liked it :-) We stayed in Puerto Del Carmen. We visited a water park, did plenty of shopping, plenty of eating and drinking to (massive selection of restraunts and bars) The zoo there is great to for kids, plenty of animals to see and a sea lion and parrot show. Coach trip to get there. You can book the trips on a few shops on the strip.

MissyMaker Mon 25-Jan-16 15:54:16

Following as am also debating between the two. I have found a fab sounding hotel in Lanzarote in Playa Blanca and am veering towards this as we went to Tenerife a couple of years ago. It was fine, but it would be nice to go somewhere different.

PolovesTubbyCustard Tue 26-Jan-16 07:45:44

I love both islands.

For me - I wouldn't want Playa de las Americas- I have been to that resort and it's not my kind of relaxation. However given the ages of your children there may be more for them to do. Further up towards Costa Adeje is a little less crowded but still enough activities. I have been to Tenerife about 8 or 9 times over the years and my fave resort is now Puerto de la Cruz - but now travel as a couple without children. I wouldn't say there is quite as much up there for children - but it's much more scenic and traditional. Loro Parque is based there - and the huge lido so it's not without activities.

Lanzarote is great too. Favourite resort there is Playa Blanca - as again, it's not as buit up as the other two main resorts. Lots to do - volcanic activity, cesar manrique, boat trips.

Both islands are easy to get around though - buses are very regular on Tenerife (I don't think I have used the bus inLanzarote, but have seen that there are plenty of them) and car hire is very cheap on the islands - driving is easy.

BertrandRussell Tue 26-Jan-16 07:47:25

Lanzarote every time! So much more to do and much less windy.

BertrandRussell Tue 26-Jan-16 07:48:19

But please don't support the sea lion show.....sad

PolovesTubbyCustard Tue 26-Jan-16 08:20:32

smile Bertrand many people say that Lanzarote is the windier of the islands ? Others say Fuerteventura.

I have found that they all get windy at times - and not at others.

Maybe it depends on the time of year. I wish I was there now smile

BertrandRussell Tue 26-Jan-16 08:29:40

Maybe we've just been lucky. Or we love Lanzarote, so don't notice the wind...........smile

DownstairsMixUp Tue 26-Jan-16 08:42:34

It was baking when we went in June and not that windy! I live by the sea though so maybe I'm so oblivious to the wind now! It's always windy walking down our sea front but lanza just seemed normal breezy

Dowser Sat 30-Jan-16 11:59:45

I would say Tenerife more to do and less windy lol. I love it having 3.5 weeks there inmarch and October and I love las Americas. I wouldn't want to be stuck up at adeje. Puerto de la cruz is nice but as we go in wintertime I'd worry about it not being hot enough.

We stayed near punto del Carmel. Near the airport. Loved watching the planes flying right over my head you could practically touch them. La floresta hotel was ok. Food not very good

Mumofmanychores Sat 20-Feb-16 02:41:17

Thanks for all your views I've decided to go for tenerife this time around. Now urs just finding the right resort. Is siam park and loro park long to get to from either of the parks, Americas, adeje, Puerto. Other then those trips most the time will be spent in the hotel as looking at all inclusive and close to the beach too.

BarbaraofSeville Sun 21-Feb-16 10:23:53

There is a free bus that goes round Los Cristianos and probably Adeje and Las Americas too for Siam Park. Only takes a few minutes.

GingerFoxInAT0phat Sun 21-Feb-16 10:29:02

We've took our boys to Tenerife a few times and always have a great time. We usually say in las Americas. Siam park is about 10 mins on the bus. Loro parque is a bit further, can't remember how long now though, wouldn't go there again becuase of the whale they keep in captivity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now