Talk

Advanced search

Bruges with a 16mo?

(6 Posts)
ppandj Fri 22-Jan-16 17:51:51

Thinking of going to Bruges with DS who will be 16mo if we go in August/September. We have been given a ferry crossing so can take our car and would like to just leave the car in hotel parking and explore Bruges by foot.

Any tips of activities, accommodation, prices? I've always wanted to go. Would 3/4 days be adequate (the ferry crossing is overnight so need to keep trip under a week)?

Thanks in advance!

Bunbaker Fri 22-Jan-16 21:27:58

You won't need a car in Bruges anyway as the old town is very compact and not suitable for cars. We went 20 years ago and loved it. The sightseeing is mostly old buildings, museums and churches. We also looked round the brewery and took a boat ride on the canals.

SJane45S Mon 25-Jan-16 15:05:59

It's a very small city and an easy one if you've got someone small. 3/4 days is fine (in fact you may be pushing it to find much to do on day 4!). The canal trip as above is good, we also did a horse and carriage ride which was fun and not too exorbitant. It's very pretty and while it's not cheap as essentially it's a tourist town, it's not totally unreasonable.

On the negative side, there are a lot of cobbled streets so you'd have to use the crowded pavements with a buggy. The Chocolate Museum is worth a trip but isn't buggy friendly (it's a very old house with very steep stairs!). There are loads of museums (even a Chip museum!) worth seeing. I liked the Historium in the main square.

Food wise, a lot of the cafe's have kids options, most of which involve chips (but then you're on holiday so....!).

I can't recommend any hotel (ours was a dive!) but as it's such a small place, any hotel is likely to be not too far from the main sites by foot.

Have fun and take an umbrella!

Parker231 Mon 25-Jan-16 15:21:58

We've stayed at Hotel Orangerie several times - lovely hotel, very central and lovely staff. Not sure Bruges will be much fun with a fun and although there is a nice park, not a huge amount for a toddler to do. Might work if you use a sling.

HeadJudgeLen Sat 30-Jan-16 08:39:59

I would stay in Blankenberge on the coast and get the train to Bruges for the day. Lovely beach and loads of activities for kids including a huge playground in the Leopold Park. There's a sea life centre too. Bruges is lovely but a day is probably plenty for strolling round and a trip on the canal. The beach has lots of free mini playgrounds on the sand where you can sit and have a drink.

Bunbaker Sat 30-Jan-16 23:00:25

"Bruges is lovely but a day is probably plenty for strolling round and a trip on the canal."

There is loads to see in Bruges. Far more than can be done in a day trip.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now