Talk

Advanced search

Rome or Barcelona or paris

(24 Posts)
NeedSomeEnergy Sat 16-Jan-16 00:23:09

Hi first post, looking to go away in July for long weekend for milestone birthday. We have been looking at Rome, Barcelona or Paris. Can you let me know your views, experiences for these. Thank you

FighterPilotsThumbs Sat 16-Jan-16 00:23:57

Love all three.

Rome is my favourite by a country mile.

mayaknew Sat 16-Jan-16 00:24:28

Definitely Rome. I can't even begin to describe how beautiful it is.

antimatter Sat 16-Jan-16 00:25:26

July is likely to be too hot for either.

FighterPilotsThumbs Sat 16-Jan-16 00:29:51

Yikes, yeah I didn't see the July bit. Paris at that time probably. Admittedly I hate hot weather but Barca and Rome were horribly uncomfortable for me im July.

Justastorminabcup Sat 16-Jan-16 00:30:20

I could never get tired of Rome. if DH and I ever get a child free long weekend that will be our destination.

NeedSomeEnergy Sat 16-Jan-16 00:30:47

Thanks for quick replies, I was edging towards Rome. Lots I would love to see. Not too worried about the heat, I prefer warm and not taking kids, thanks for the advice. All is appreciated

NeedSomeEnergy Sat 16-Jan-16 00:37:15

also any other ideas for destinations for weekend breaks in Europe would be great.

antimatter Sat 16-Jan-16 00:47:11

Venice! Easy to get to and from the Marco Polo airport.
So much to see and enjoy. Lovely city. We went early June and it was amazing.

wickedwaterwitch Sat 16-Jan-16 18:24:58

Venice will smell in July I think but is stunning, really amazing.

Rome is lovely - book for everything, it's worth it, otherwise you'll be in queues all weekend.

We had a personal (5 of us) guided tour of the colloseum, which was worth every penny.

Even with skip the line tickets it takes ages to get to The Sistine Chapel and I'm not sure it was worth it.

Paris won't be as hot and is also very lovely. Again we booked for the Louvre, musee d'Orsay and the Eiffel Tower and skipped huge queues for each. We did first class on Eurostar, was fab

I hate the heat so for be it would be Paris but only for that reason. Otherwise I'd say Rome or Venice.

wickedwaterwitch Sat 16-Jan-16 18:25:58

I think Venice is a great milestone birthday destination

So are Paris and Rome - I wouldn't say Barc is as exciting

wickedwaterwitch Sat 16-Jan-16 18:27:16

Ignore me!

travel.stackexchange.com/questions/36024/does-venice-smell

Says no, it won't smell

We went at Easter and it was fantastic

TurnOffTheTv Sat 16-Jan-16 18:27:22

Rome is torturous in July heat wise

wickedwaterwitch Sat 16-Jan-16 18:28:45

Ewww
www.holiday-weather.com/rome/averages/july
But I hate the heat!

wickedwaterwitch Sat 16-Jan-16 18:29:42

Paris is cooler

www.holiday-weather.com/paris/averages/july

MyFriendsCallMeOh Sat 16-Jan-16 18:30:53

Lots of Paris closes from 14th July onwards....

Katieweasel Sat 16-Jan-16 18:54:07

Definitely Rome. Yes it will be hot but drink lots, eat ice cream and wear a big hat. Take a water bottle and fill it up at the many water fountains around the city. Agree that you should prebook trips. The Vatican tour was well worth the money. The colosseum was free when we went. Think it's free the first Sunday of every month. Prebook a taxi from the airport. It's very reasonable. We went Friday to Monday and had a wonderful time. The hotel gave us a brilliant map and we were able to navigate easily around the city. Barcelona and Paris just don't compete in my opinion x

SJane45S Mon 25-Jan-16 15:55:15

Another Rome vote! Yes it'll be hot but having been to all three, it has the edge in terms of beauty, culture and sheer fabulousness! I think someone above has mentioned Venice - don't even consider it in July, it's completely mad in Summer!

Bunbaker Mon 25-Jan-16 18:20:36

Not Paris. I have been several times and don't have fond memories of it. Apparently it is a holy year in Rome this year and it is going to be even more crowded than normal. We went in October and loved it, but it was extremely busy then.

If you don't fancy the heat of Rome or Barcelona I would recommend Bruges. It is very pretty and easy to walk around.

whostolethesocks Tue 26-Jan-16 19:33:37

I went to Barcelona last July for my OH's milestone birthday. It was very very hot but it's nice to have the beach there. Other than the heat we loved it!

ErgonomicallyUnsound Tue 26-Jan-16 19:38:00

Been to all three more than once, and I think I'd plump for Rome, with Barcelona a close second. We are off to Valencia soon, which looks totes awesome - had you considered there?

Also Lisbon is surprisingly fab.

Bunbaker Tue 26-Jan-16 22:27:43

Agree about Lisbon. We went in July one year and didn't find it unbearably hot.

LondonStill83 Tue 26-Jan-16 22:46:44

Italy in July and August is unbearable.

Not just because of the suffocating heat (Rome is a valley and so its scorching), but because it's PACKED with tourists and all the locals flee to the coast. I love the heat too, but it's the horrible oppressive heat with nowhere to escape to.

Paris is lovely but also full of tourists in July.

Still it would get my vote over Rome at that time of year. Stay in the Jewish quarter in an Airbnb and you will enjoy it most I feel.

Paris is lovely, especially if you go off the beaten track a bit

otherwise have you considered Budapest or Vienna? Both great cities .

Bunbaker Tue 26-Jan-16 22:57:39

I loved Vienna. It is beautiful and easily walkable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now