Talk

Advanced search

Snow holiday somewhere thats not a ski resort

(27 Posts)
Mcsh1977 Fri 08-Jan-16 20:49:08

We would love to take our boys (3 and 5) away for 3-4 nights during Feb half term. My oldest is desperate for snow, its his main topic of conversation most days, so we would like to go somewhere where there is lots of the white stuff and we can spend a few days playing in the snow. A ski resort without the skiing would be fab! Trouble is they are so expensive because of the skiing! Can anyone recommend somewhere? Thank you

NewYearSameMe Fri 08-Jan-16 20:57:24

What about Finland? Maybe somewhere like Rovaniemi, the big draw there is the Santa Claus village so it ought to be a bit cheaper outside of December. www.visitrovaniemi.fi

museumum Fri 08-Jan-16 21:01:55

Scotland. Seriously you can get snow by going up in the funicular it cable car if there's none at ground level. Some lovely resort hotels with pools and open fires yummy food.
I'd go aviemore as they gave sled dogs and reindeer too.
Macdonald resort or Hilton coylumbridge - both have pools. You can drive, fly-drive or train depending where you live (sleeper train is SUCH an adventure for kids).

Mcsh1977 Fri 08-Jan-16 21:05:58

Thanks for your quick replies. museumum Scotland sounds great, but some friends were in the highlands for christmas and new year and there was no snow. We need somewhere with guaranteed snow!

museumum Fri 08-Jan-16 21:13:15

I am willing to promise there will be snow up cairngorm in February. Honestly. There always is. Skiing is guaranteed cause if it's stormy the lifts will close but there is always snow up the hill. (Christmas and new year less likely).

museumum Fri 08-Jan-16 21:16:16

Sorry. Should say skiing NOT guaranteed. But there will be snow up top.

Mcsh1977 Fri 08-Jan-16 21:26:45

Thank you. I will look into Scotland, it would be a lot less hassle than flying!

Mcsh1977 Fri 08-Jan-16 22:06:47

Just had a dig around, my OH would much prefer to Scotland. The Hilton Hotel looks fab, with lots to do. Sleeper train would be £500+ which is a shame.

alicemalice Fri 08-Jan-16 22:12:21

Inntravel do a lot of snow holidays, minus the skiing.

tshirtsuntan Fri 08-Jan-16 22:22:29

Klagenfurt in Austria is really lovely, there is a beautiful lake nearby that you can skate/sledge to if it's frozen enough. Beautiful town.

Makemineacabsauv Sat 09-Jan-16 00:26:08

Scotland right now!

Bunbaker Sat 09-Jan-16 00:36:49

I would heartily recommend Finland. However it isn't cheap. We went to Karesuando last year and did lots of snowy activities - snowmobiling, reindeer sleigh riding and driving huskies across a frozen lake. We were even lucky enough to see the northern lights. It was a fantastic short break and although we were away for only 3 nights we packed a lot in.

OnlyHereForTheCamping Sat 09-Jan-16 08:35:24

The Cairngorms are a great place for a break with it without snow. The snow has started now so I think there should be some by February

NickMyLipple Sat 09-Jan-16 08:40:15

We're going to Finland in half term. Flights were ridiculously cheap at about £30 each way with Norwegian.

Mcsh1977 Wed 13-Jan-16 18:02:22

thanks so much for all of your feedback, NickMyLipple the flights are really cheap! Do you know Finland well? Have you booked your accomodation?

NickMyLipple Wed 13-Jan-16 18:23:14

No, not at all!! We haven't booked anything yet, but it's on the list for this week!

Mcsh1977 Wed 13-Jan-16 22:06:08

he he! Are you fyling into Helsinki? I really don't know that part of Europe, I may need to get a map out!

Krampus Tue 19-Jan-16 13:58:31

Auvergne in France?

misscph1973 Tue 19-Jan-16 14:09:22

I visited my sister in Tromsø, Norway 2 years ago with dc then age 9 and 7 who don't ski. We had a great time! we built snowmen, wents ledging, tobbagon (spelling?) and up a small mountain in a cable car. I suggest you look at AirBnB in the North of Norway.

Helipad Tue 19-Jan-16 16:47:51

I was about to recommend Rovaniemi in Finland too. You could stay right in the town and you'll have lots of snow on your door step. My boys loved sledging down (just on their bums, no actual sledges) the mounds that the snow ploughs create when going around the streets at night. Very cheap fun lol.

A short bus ride away is the Santa Claus Village, it's a free entry, you'll pay for the activities separately. In the Village you have husky farm, reindeers, snowman world and lots of shops. In fact there's a holiday village where you can stay too. We spent 7 hrs there one day and my boys (4 & 7) loved it. And that stay didn't include meeting the Santa!

Helipad Tue 19-Jan-16 16:55:04

OP, Norwegian flies directly to Rovaniemi but it's certainly not £30 per head if you fly from Gatwick. Well, not if you book now anyway. BA and Finnair fly to Finland but you'd have to fly to Helsinki and take a connective flight to Rovaniemi (or anywhere else in Lapland).

WeLoveHaribo Thu 21-Jan-16 10:09:22

I can't find any direct flights to Finland only Helsinki?!?!?!
Also I'd be looking from Manchester.

We've been to Levi as a package (Dec) and would love to go back for snow, or even to Rovaniemi.

misscph1973 Thu 21-Jan-16 10:51:56

WeLoveHaribo, Helsinki is the capital of Finland. I guess the flight search engine wants you to put in an airport name/city name, not a country name.

WeLoveHaribo Thu 21-Jan-16 21:40:52

Yes sorry, I know that as been before, flew to kittila.
Sorry worded it wrong meant the only flights to Finland I could find are to Helsinki.

misscph1973 Fri 22-Jan-16 09:41:05

Oh, I see ;) What flight search engine are you using?

Also, it could be a seasonal thing, perhaps there are flights to more airports in Finland later in the year?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now