Talk

Advanced search

Are you better off booking through a travel company's shops or their website?

(5 Posts)
CharleyDavidson Tue 05-Jan-16 20:41:09

And if so, what's the difference.

Have priced up a holiday on Thomson. It's £200 cheaper to book online. I've read that they might, but are unlikely to, match the online price if it won't bring them a profit.

So I'm wondering what the benefit of booking in the shop is over booking online.

Thanks.

mummymeister Wed 06-Jan-16 08:48:10

there is no benefit to booking in the shop. they want you to book on line because then it saves them the costs on high street premises rents, business rates, heating etc. its about reducing fixed costs for these businesses.

have you costed out the same holiday elements independently? we always book the elements ourselves because it works out cheaper, you get exactly what you want not daft flight times and if I am honest I enjoy the planning and getting a bargain.

rookiemere Wed 06-Jan-16 13:49:24

One company that does seem to have fairly good package deals is jet2, particularly as I think they have a January discount at the minute. I priced up doing it separately and it didn't come in much different, plus you don't have to pay the full amount up front.

specialsubject Wed 06-Jan-16 14:20:05

the only benefit to booking in the shop is that if they mistype names or details, it isn't your fault and you shouldn't get charged for it.

I am amazed that high street travel agents still exist.

rookiemere Wed 06-Jan-16 14:25:42

They also seem to be able to do some specials for cruises and then ring you up for weeks after words when you're at work using your first name but you could get those over the phone just as well.

I'm amazed they exist too, but then I enjoy researching my own deals as well, some people like having it all taken care of and I guess the internet isn't as good as that.

I'd never use a package company again since we booked with a luxury travel company which had lots of extra bells and whistles such as airport lounge entry, but amazingly enough did not include guaranteed seating beside our then 5 year old. When I queried it they said they should have mentioned it when I talked to them over the phone, but when they listened to the recording they hadn't.

I'd rather do it myself so I know exactly whats included and whats not - except for skiing maybe which is a right old faff to DIY.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now