Talk

Advanced search

Family sailing holiday in EU

(7 Posts)
JCleRoux Sun 03-Jan-16 19:01:24

Please help me with some ideas. Has anyone been sailing with a family in the EU? Where did you go and how much was it? I am looking for a sailing holiday in the summer for me, DH and DS (he will be 5 years old). I am not looking to spend more than £1500 all in. Am I being unrealistic on the price? Thanks in advance.

JCleRoux Mon 04-Jan-16 14:23:29

anyone?

ChoclolateOrange Mon 04-Jan-16 14:32:27

I haven't been with the family for a few years, so can't really help you on price, but can tell you about what we have done and enjoyed. Prices do of course go up wildly in the middle of the school holidays.

Firstly, are you experienced sailors or are you looking to learn? Do you want to go on a flotilla or go it "alone"?

In terms of flotillas we found Neilsons were the best in terms of price and boats. Sailing Holidays are very popular but pricey and the boats were much older than Neilsons.

You can do a week land based and a week sailing which I think are called Stay and Sail by Neilsons. That might be a good option with a 5 year old.

We prefer the Ionian but had a wonderful holiday in Croatia too. We saw a lot of dolphins there, and the sea was superb. I've never seen such clear blue water.

Hope that gives you some ideas. They really are great holidays!

mummymeister Tue 05-Jan-16 09:25:03

£1500 in school holidays is unrealistic - especially if you want that to include flights etc. we went on to Ocean elements in Greece for a sailing holiday and it cost us £1000 each and included breakfast only with all meals on top. you have a couple of choices. if you can sail already then a flotilla holiday might be a good idea but I would personally not want to take a 5 year old on this sort of holiday. great for older teens who can swim off the boat but I would always be anxious about falling in. do you know if any of you suffer sea sickness? worth finding this out first.

Somewhere that you have a holiday and can do a bit of sailing might be a better idea so why not look for a hotel in spain, Italy or the canaries that has a watersports centre attached to it. that way you can all try it out and do it as much or as little as you want. also there will be windsurfing, supping and canoeing available rather than just sailing. It would be a slightly cheaper option but still beyond your budget I think.

JCleRoux Wed 06-Jan-16 21:41:26

Thanks for the responses; I was getting a bit worried. I did think that £1500 was terribly unrealistic!

ChocolateOrange - DH and I are not experienced and don' mind not having other people/families with us. I will check out Croatia, thanks for the shout.

mummymeister - £1000 per person! Oh dear! If I dont manage to find something a lot more reasonable I may have to consider your suggestion.

mummymeister Thu 07-Jan-16 15:13:10

hi JCleRoux - ocean elements £1000 per person per week. it does include breakfast and all the kit hire. sorry but I do think £500 each is unreasonable in school summer holidays for the kind of thing that you are looking for. you might get a package to a hotel with some kit that you share but even then its a big ask

janinlondon Thu 07-Jan-16 15:26:31

If you are not qualified, what is your plan for skippering? A skipper on the boat with you will cost even more.......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now