Talk

Advanced search

Italian honeymoon

(20 Posts)
Busybuzzybumblebee Wed 30-Dec-15 10:23:33

Hi, we're looking to go on our honeymoon in August and ideally want to go to Italy, we can only go for 3 nights and don't have a massive budget. We were looking the amalfi Coast. Any advice whether this is the best place to go, if not where would be good in Italy? Want a relaxing hols. Tia

Elizabethreallyismissing Wed 30-Dec-15 10:28:54

We went to Sorrento on our honeymoon! It was beautiful, so romantic! Also quite a few things to do if you fancy, ferry to Capri, Pompeii not too far away. I loved it.

Busybuzzybumblebee Wed 30-Dec-15 11:40:54

Excellent thanks, was it expensive?

IWantSantasNewToyInMyStocking Thu 31-Dec-15 17:21:31

We also did sorrento and loved every minute. It was pricey but we stayed in a fabulous hotel and flew BA from London to Naples with Citalia.

thelaundryfairy Thu 31-Dec-15 17:24:12

The Amalfi Coast is lovely and one of the less expensive parts of Italy. Definitely recommend a day trip to Capri. Enjoy!

I´d also recommend Lake Garda if you´re interested in inland/northern Italy. Fly to Verona and stay in the town of Garda.

Thesunrising Thu 31-Dec-15 19:05:20

Have you looked at Agriturismos? Posh farm stays basically. Very good value for money. We stayed in a converted barn outside Florence (Pisa was nearest airport). It was self catering, had a little allotment that we could pick tomatoes, aubergines and figs from and an amazing swimming pool. They are dotted around all over the place, and range from basic to very exclusive.

grassroots Thu 31-Dec-15 19:09:51

Venice. Impossibly beautiful and romantic!

Madbengalmum Thu 31-Dec-15 19:14:51

Ravello or positano, away from touristy sorrento.
Or, i would go for Sicily, as it is as beautiful and more authentic italian experiences can be had.

Gattabianca Thu 31-Dec-15 19:46:46

It takes quite a long time to get from Naples to the Amalfi coast. I wouldn't want to waste that much of my honeymoon if I only had 3 days.
If I were you, I would stay somewhere easy to get to, Rome or Venice being most obvious or an agriturismo in Tuscany (close to Pisa).
My favourite Italian cities are Cagliari in Sardinia and Bergamo between Milan and the lakes. Both are close to airports and accommodation will be more affordable than the more famous touristy cities. Cagliari also has an amazing beach (Poetta).

Wolpertinger Thu 31-Dec-15 20:08:13

Just to warn you, Italy in August will be hot. Really really really hot.

We did 2 weeks in Emilia-Romagna and it was 38-40 degrees every day. Lots of attractions were shut as the Italians had wisely shut up shop as it was vile.

BIL and SIL did Sicily for their honeymoon also in August - their main memories are of being boiled alive grin

You can hope they have a 'bad summer' - we had a lovely time a couple of years ago in August with what we thought was pleasant weather and the Italians thought was a disaster.

In a touristy area like Rome or Venice it will be awash with boiling flesh. An agriturismo would be lovely but you'd use a lot of your 3 days getting there and back.

If you do go to Italy you absolutely need to make sure your hotel has air con grin

RJnomore1 Thu 31-Dec-15 20:14:46

Verona. We went there on an August honeymoon in 99. Three daysxusxjust about right. We went to the opera too.

We went on to the lakes and Venice which were great but I'd recommend Verona. We've just been back round them all this summer with the kids and Venice is truly stunning as well, I'd forgotten how beautiful but it is expensive.

RJnomore1 Thu 31-Dec-15 20:16:17

And yes air con is a must.

Madelinehatter Thu 31-Dec-15 20:17:10

Florence is lovely. We had our honeymoon there but in November,

Wolpertinger Thu 31-Dec-15 20:22:46

DH's suggestions:

Cheap flight to Verona, train to Mantua - there were very very few tourists there, it took no time to get to, we stayed at an amazing hotel, town is tiny, some of the greatest art in in the whole of Italy, incredibly relaxing (if you decide to do this pm me - if they know you are on honeymoon they will bake you special cakes smile.

Fly to Pisa, stay in Lucca, again very beautiful, options of day in Pisa or Florence if you want to but both will be swarming with tourists and Lucca is really really nice.

Don't go to Venice. DH has some excellent photos of me fainting in Venice after waiting an hour for the vaporetto in the sun. And of us fighting for 6 inches of pavement in St Mark's Square. We had a much nicer time in May.

Wolpertinger Thu 31-Dec-15 20:23:47

Verona is lovely but not cheap in opera season.

Twinkie1 Thu 31-Dec-15 20:32:32

Poggio Piglia is beautiful boutique hotel in Tuscany, you can visit Arrezo and Siena (which is breathtaking). Amazing for a honeymoon. Amalfi coast will waste half of you holiday schlepping across the mountains and the drive is hideous.

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Thu 31-Dec-15 20:57:28

We went to Lake Garda on honeymoon in August. We stayed at the Maximillion in Malcesine. It was amazing! I can't recommend it enough! So beautiful and the food was amazing.

Wolpertinger Thu 31-Dec-15 21:46:50

Arrezo is gorgeous and another great place to spend 3 relaxing days away from hordes of tourists. I've no idea how far it is from an airport though as we did it on the holiday I planned really badly that included the drive that must never be mentioned again.

Busybuzzybumblebee Sat 02-Jan-16 16:03:43

Wow, thanks everyone, going to have a look into a few of the suggestions, rethinking the amalfi Coast now, didn't realise how much of a trek it is from airport, particularly with little time we have, also less touristy places appeal to us. Lots go look up

Wolpertinger Sat 02-Jan-16 16:16:35

I had no idea how far anything was from anywhere - and totally failed to take into account that Italy was mountainous and I am a v v bad passenger - cue the holiday where we did the same mountain pass 3 times in 2 days in a Fiat Panda with me clutching the door for grim death and shrieking blush Oh and the 5km down a dirt track in the same Panda to an agriturismo blushblush

We plan better now wink

Do come back and let us know what you are thinking and what you eventually decide.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now