Talk

Advanced search

Anyone been to Bavaria? Ideas for days out please

(13 Posts)
SirChenjin Sun 20-Dec-15 11:32:12

Heading off to Bavaria (staying about 15 minues from Legoland) next year. Want to do a day trip to Austria, Lake Constance, Legoland, Skyline Park and mooch about the towns along the Romantic Road.

Any other not-to-be-missed things you can recommend? 3 kids - 2 teens and one 9 year old, always a challenge!

VegetablEsoup Sun 20-Dec-15 11:38:52

bavaria is huuuuge...so be prepared for a lot of driving.
but citys worth a visit: nürnberg, passau and munich. austria has fantastic spa resorts with adventure pools.

SirChenjin Sun 20-Dec-15 12:15:32

Thanks smile

I think Munich is on DH and DSs 'to do' list for the Bayern Munich stadium - DD and I will find something far more interesting to do!

Have you been to the romantic road area? It looks beautiful...we've done the Rhine and the Mosel but fancied going further south. Love love lover Germany - I'm always amazed more Brits don't go there on holiday, but it means more room for us grin

Shopgirl1 Sun 20-Dec-15 12:48:31

I've been to everywhere along the romantic road from Augsburg down to Füssen, it's lovely countryside. Augsburg is a lovely town, lovely old town and cobbled streets, down to the Alps it's all very pretty. Are you going in summer? They have lots of lakes all set up for swimming of the weather is good.

SirChenjin Sun 20-Dec-15 13:09:59

Yes, going next July. Augsburg looked lovely - love walking about old towns like that and sitting in outdoor cafes. The DCs tend to get a bit fed up of it though (can't think why!) so we're trying to get ideas for other things they can do.

Do you know how to find out about the swimming lakes at all? They sound ideal

Shopgirl1 Sun 20-Dec-15 15:04:21

There is a lake called Kuhsee practically in the city- you can get a bus there I think, don't ask me which, I've long forgotten, but I'm sure it would be easy to find out.
It's very nice with cycle paths, woods areas, places to sun bath and you can swim in the lake.
There are also outdoor swimming pools in the city - a short tram ride from the centre - one of them also serves as an open air cinema some summer evenings.
There are nice beer gardens throughout that whole area too, lovely for a relaxing lunch.
Hiking or hiring bikes and cycling could be good options to pass some nice time with the children too.

BrendaandEddie Sun 20-Dec-15 15:23:23

bamberg

Regensburg

OnlyHereForTheCamping Sun 20-Dec-15 15:37:47

Freiburg is lovely, lake tittisee is v scenic in an sort of dirty dancing retro resort kind of way. I found Lake Constance a bit frantic with tourists but it was amazingly hot and I was in a bad mood.
Wurzburg is good for chocolate box prettiness and shopping

SirChenjin Sun 20-Dec-15 16:35:42

Thanks everyone smile

ShanghaiDiva Mon 04-Jan-16 02:24:57

Definitely regensburg - cathedral, stone bridge, sausage kitchen, trip on the Danube, loads of great restaurants. I used to live there smile
Schloss linderhof
Oberammergau - my dad used to live here.
Deutsches museum in Munich is excellent as is the modern art gallery.

MangosteenSoda Mon 04-Jan-16 11:38:47

In Bavaria, Rothenburg is gorgeous, as is Regensburg, but it might make more sense to stay around the southern bit to minimise driving.

I second Füssen, beautiful little town with the bonus of famous castles. Maybe choose a nice place on Lake Constance to base yourselves for a few days to swim and cycle. I haven't been to the Bavarian part, but you could take a ferry trip to Bregenz in Austria from where I stayed in Meersburg, I guess the ferry would stop at other towns along the way. A nice alternative to another day in the car.

mrsmortis Wed 06-Jan-16 13:51:22

Don't forget Neuschwanstein. It's an insane castle (Probably the model for Disney's sleeping beauty's Castle) built for a mad king and well worth a visit.

Dinkydoos Thu 07-Jan-16 10:27:57

Just jumping in! Have been looking for a bit of an active holiday for a 9 and 11 year old, and DP loves Germany.
Have been to Munich and really like but don't know rest of it.
Kids love swimming in rivers and lakes, and jumping off rocks into water!
Also live cabin type accommodation.
We like to move round a bit too. Any suggestions for 2 weeks?
Thanks for any help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now