Talk

Advanced search

Disneyland in January - top tips please?

(19 Posts)
TreeHuggerMum1 Sat 19-Dec-15 20:43:44

We're doing 4 nights in Eurodisney in January, staying at the Seqouia. B&B.
Taking three kids - 10, 6 and 4 yrs.
Basically what's hot and what's not?
Any handy hints?
Thanks.

mouldycheesefan Mon 21-Dec-15 08:40:16

TakE very Warm cl

mouldycheesefan Mon 21-Dec-15 08:46:32

Take very warm clothes, hats, gloves preferably ski gloves, lined boots not wellies, take brollies. We went in February it was cold and wet but we had a great time as we were equipped for it. We generally went back to our hotel after the 4pm parade to warm up but we were staying in a hotel right at the gates not sure where your hotel is. We didn't go back out for the evening fireworks just watched from the hotel.
Book your restaurants in advance as wait time can be long and with tired children that is not what you want.
Don't queue for characters in the parks have character meals in restaurants instead.
Take lots of dried snacks like cookies, breadsticks, dried fruit etc keeps kids going.
Use fast pass system as much as possible and magic hours, some days we went to the park early popped back to hotel for breakfast then went put again.
Take own Disney dresses if kids want to dress up as thy cost a fortune in the park.
Generally expect th food to be poor although there are some exceptions.
There are good shows in Hollywood studios which are great for indoor warming up.
Expect long queues, prioritise what you want to do.
Have a great time!

Floralnomad Mon 21-Dec-15 08:57:07

I doubt the queues will be too bad . Yy to it being cold . We have never found that you need to book restaurants before the day you want to eat so I wouldn't worry about that . Check what rides are closed before you go to avoid disappointment , I think Thunder Mountain may still be shut in January and the Disney rail road as they're being refurbished ready for 2017 ( 25th anniversary) . Don't sit through the car stunt show in the Studios it is an hour of your life that you will have lost forever and on the Ratatouille ride try and sit in the front of the car as it does make for a better experience . We went to the Disneyland hotel in November ( have been many times since it opened) and despite my dd and my sister shopping madly for 3 days we came home with lots of money left over . If anyone is gluten free Planet Hollywood has a GF menu . Enjoy .

PestoFestivio Mon 21-Dec-15 09:06:13

Thermos flask, snow boots, thermals, hand warmers & plenty of snacks to while away the queues.

CremeBrulee Mon 21-Dec-15 09:19:27

YY to thermals, hats, gloves etc - it is so so bitingly cold there in Winter, it's like it's been built in a frost hollow!

Set some time aside to cover the Disney Studios which is a separate park area but contains some very entertaining rides & shows.

Use the magic hours you will get as Disney hotels guests to head into the park early & get your fast passes for the bigger rides to cut down on queuing time. When it gets massively busy later in the day, you can always head back to base for a powernap and then head out again later.

Definitely plan to do the evening illuminated parade (Fantillusion?) & any firework shows are well worth staying up late & braving the crowds.

If it's really cold, try booking a window table at Walts restaurant for the time if the Parade (though it is quite pricey, it's the best in the Park) and you will get a great view whilst keeping nice & warm. If you're going to this you will need to book ASAP at the information desk place just inside the main park gates.

Rather than pay for a character breakfast, make sure you eat at Cafe Mickey in the Disney Village one night - loads of characters work the restaurant, very good for photo ops & autographs if the DC are into those.

KaraokeQueenOfTheNorth Mon 21-Dec-15 09:31:43

Ooh jealous!! Yes, warm clothes. Mark sure you book meals in restaurants in advance. Definitely do cafe Mickey! Lots of characters and they come to your table.

When we went we got up early and went straight to park to take full advantage of magic hours, then came back and had breakfast in the hotel. Skips a lot of queues (we went on Its A Small World and just stayed on and went round again cos there was no queue)

Rides we loved (kids aged 4-12) - buzz lightyear Lazers, runaway train, small world, Pinocchio. DH and I loved rock n Rollercoaster, and tower of terror (we took 4yr old on that, at her insistence, she cried the whole time, awful! But then was mega proud and kept telling everyone when we got homes hat she had been on it!) get Fast Passes for the big rides, you get given a time and you go back at that time and skip the queue :-)

We just loved the whole experience, we met Mickey and Minnie mouse (short queue cos we went in Magic hours), saw the parade, just wandered sound and soaked up the magic. Kids loved it. We didn't actually go on loads of rides, just loved being there...

We went several years ago for new year, it was soooooo cold. But wrapped up in lots of layers and it was fine, and it had a real Christmassy feel to it (fake snow on main St etc!)

I think Cafe Mickey was my fave though, just seeing my kids faces when each character came to our table. Wonderful. And I got to eat stuff shaped like Mickey mouse. What's not to like?!!!

Have an amazing time. I'm hoping for a lottery win sometime soon so I can take the kids back again smile

KaraokeQueenOfTheNorth Mon 21-Dec-15 09:36:00

Oh and we all LOVED the car stunt show!! So I would recommend that even if a PP wouodnt... ;) we went to several shows. I loved the Armageddon experience. And the one where you go round on a tram and see sets and stuff. And the stitch show was cute, but my younger kids love stitch the most.

And the parade in the studios park is lovely and you can get autographs and shake hands with Sully from Monsters Inc and everything (and yes I squealed like a little girl, he is my favourite i! So fuzzy!!))

I'm gonna stop now... grin

TreeHuggerMum1 Mon 21-Dec-15 18:28:46

Thanks all.
I have to say you've all made me quite excited.
I know some reviews are a bit ropey but if we don't go now we never will.
4 weeks, 1 day and counting!!!

mouldycheesefan Mon 21-Dec-15 18:32:41

It will be brilliant! You will have a great time, how can you not at Disneyland!

leccybill Sat 26-Dec-15 17:58:41

Ah KaraokeQueen, you have made me mega excited!
We have kindly been given £1500 to take 6yo DD to Disney while she is young enough and we are at the early stages of planning for April 2016. Any tips would be appreciated! Don't even know the first thing about getting there at the moment!

futureme Sat 26-Dec-15 18:11:13

I think we've booked when you have! I was planning on little queues and not having to book for meals. I think its one of the deadest weeks of the year which is why we booked then! In Feb you start to get the frencg holidays.

We're so excited! Not wanting to spend a fortune and not bothering with character meals as ghoping to see them in the park. I think it closes at 7 that week so trying to work out when to gave breakfast in the hotel/use magic hours and supper!

futureme Sat 26-Dec-15 18:12:07

Leccy -book Eurostar as soon as you can to get the best deals. Its roughly 3 months in advance I think.

futureme Sat 26-Dec-15 18:21:17

I definitely have the stunt show on my list. I loved that when I last went pre kids. It will be very different with kids I know! I didn't even know the studios had a parade too.

Were going into Paris for a day too so hoping to fit as much of the parks as we can in.

Certainly aware we need to dress for warmth. I think they only have wellies or trainers.

leccybill Sun 27-Dec-15 11:03:39

It's looking cheaper to fly for us? We live in the north west so getting down to London/Ebbsfleet adds extra.
Easyjet from Liverpool isn't too badly priced.

futureme Sun 27-Dec-15 21:01:35

Ah brilliant! That adds to the adventure smile

TreeHuggerMum1 Tue 29-Dec-15 08:16:18

We're flying Leccy, only an hour on the plane.
smile

snowypenguin Fri 01-Jan-16 10:15:24

I was there twice last year. I love the place!

Yes, it will be cold but lots of layers will help. Definitely no to wellies. Way too cold on feet.

Character dining is a must when we go and Inventions do it best. You need to book in advance. It is expensive but well worth the money. We have photos with Mickey, Minnie, Gipetto, Eeyore, tigger, genie from Aladdin, Pluto and many more.

Get maps when you are there and use fast pass. Definitely do some of the shows at the studios. Stitch live is lovely.

There won't be any theming but it won't detract from what you can do. Favourite rides for us are Peter Pan, Buzz, the Rat.

Check out Jedi academy if you have any Starwars fans. DS loved this.

futureme Fri 01-Jan-16 10:28:47

Peter pan is shut that week (as is the railroad thing and the big island play area, paddle streamer and the studio tram tours - can't remember all the proper names!)

Mine don't want to do any thrill rides!

I've not been in 10years or with kids before!
We're staying in hotel new York but reviews gave said the hotel pool is cold which had been our plan for wet weather!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now