Talk

Advanced search

Florence or Venice?

(22 Posts)
RudyMentary Sun 13-Dec-15 12:14:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

VenusRising Sun 13-Dec-15 12:17:50

Venice.
But for a second I thought this was a baby names thread, and I'd pick Florence for that!

AGapInTheMarket Sun 13-Dec-15 12:19:45

Siena...

pinkpopcorn Sun 13-Dec-15 12:22:36

Went to Florence this April and it was lovely, just starting to get warm.

RudyMentary Sun 13-Dec-15 12:26:20

LyndaNotLinda Sun 13-Dec-15 12:29:13

Venice.

TheFear Sun 13-Dec-15 12:29:42

Venice

NCISaddict Sun 13-Dec-15 12:33:33

Never been to Florence but went to Venice in April and it was amazing.

Salmiak Sun 13-Dec-15 12:40:07

Venice if you've never visited either.

tribpot Sun 13-Dec-15 12:42:55

Tough call as they are both fantastic. Venice though is simply an incredible place to see.

Having now been to both I would pick Florence, but Venice is one of those sights everyone should see. We got the high speed train between the two earlier in the year so don't rule out getting to see both!

ThinkAboutItTomorrow Sun 13-Dec-15 13:35:01

Depends what you like. If you like art then Florence has more. Venice is special though if you like sitting round in cafes and just mooching. And have quite a bit of cash!

GummyBunting Sun 13-Dec-15 13:39:03

I haven't been to Florence, but went to Venice last year and was disappointed. Just tourist shops and restaurants. Plus the food is generally pretty bad.

So, I'd vote Florence.

DiorSausage Sun 13-Dec-15 13:42:09

Rome.

Then Florence grin

I found Venice a bit smelly and very underwhelming. I was gutted after wanting to go for so many years.

LondonStill83 Sun 13-Dec-15 13:44:22

Florence, no question.

Venice is way too touristy and overpriced.

RudyMentary Sun 13-Dec-15 16:25:56

TheSconeOfStone Sun 13-Dec-15 19:28:18

I've been to both and I'd say Venice. Went with DH one November. It was sunny and cold and just stunning. Very photogenic and a sort of unreal fiim set feeling to it. Wasn't too busy either. Florence was amazing too though. I found Florence to be far more friendly and the food was better but Venice was just wow.

Rome is next on the list.

lovefairylights Sun 13-Dec-15 19:32:20

There's something about Venice which makes it one of those places I would recommend to everyone
BUT I'd say go out of season - less tourists and less smelly in winter. I'd see when Easter falls - if it looks like being a particularly busy time then maybe save it for a different trip...

Madbengalmum Sun 13-Dec-15 19:34:28

Venice, way better than the likes of Rome.
Florence is beautiful, but do it after venice

JeffreysMummyIsCross Sun 13-Dec-15 19:36:24

Venice. But don't stay or spend too much time around Piazza San Marco. Florence is lovely too, but Venice is so unique.

TheSconeOfStone Sun 13-Dec-15 20:18:59

I went to Florence in April and it was really busy but manageable. Was on a holiday with 3 friends and we weren't trying to pack in loads of galleries. If you do go book any site seeing well in advance. Left it too late for the Uffizi and waited about 50 minutes while touts tried to sell the pre-booked tickets at a premium. Didn't go up the Duomo either as queue was horrific.

DiorSausage Sun 13-Dec-15 20:25:56

PMSL at "the likes of rome" grin grin

The birthplace of Western civilisation, most historically, architecturally and artistically important city in Italy if not the entire world.

The likes of grin

Madbengalmum Sun 20-Dec-15 15:42:10

Diorsausage, no sh*t,glad i am a source of amusement to you and your small mind!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now