Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Will Tenerife be warm enough at Christmas time?

(12 Posts)
mckenzie Thu 26-Nov-15 19:14:25

Looking to go away from 19/12 for a week so don't really want long haul.
Will Tenerife (or similar) be warm and sunny enough this year for a pool side/beach holiday do you think?

specialsubject Fri 27-Nov-15 12:07:14

generally yes, as long as you aren't expecting tropical seas. The Canaries have a benevolent year-round climate with comfortable nights, none of this sleeping in air-con nonsense. However weather isn't guaranteed (where is it?) so pack a fleece or two.

you may have a job finding a holiday though, it is an obvious peak time for the Canaries.

mckenzie Fri 27-Nov-15 12:14:40

thank you SS
We've got one on hold in Costa Adeje; it's decision time.

specialsubject Fri 27-Nov-15 17:26:32

not a major issue if everyone is able bodied, but the usual location maps don't show the big slope down to the sea. Things above the TF-1 will be a healthy walk, but have wonderful views of the sunset over La Gomera.

enjoy!

SecretSquirrels Sat 28-Nov-15 12:44:50

Warm enough to swim in the sea?
Not for me. It's the Atlantic so even in summer does not feel warm like the Med.
Warm enough to swim in hotel pool?
Only if it's a heated pool.
Warm enough to enjoy the sun?
Absolutely.
Not that I would pay triple Christmas prices though.

rookiemere Sat 28-Nov-15 13:37:09

It should be pleasant enough maybe 18-20.
Make sure your hotel has a heated pool .
Which hotel are you looking at ?

magimedi Sat 28-Nov-15 13:56:33

Costa Adeje is great, as it faces south west & the prevailing wind is north east. So it is more sheltered.

Was there last year & was warm enough to lie on sun lounger in costume most days. Needed a jumper in the evenings sometimes.

NorbertDentressangle Sat 28-Nov-15 21:31:53

We've spent Christmas in Tenerife and the weather was great - bikinis by the pool, shorts and vest top whilst out and about, but a bit chillier in the evenings (linen trousers and a light jacket). The DC were in the unheated pool on Christmas Day (but it was a bit too chilly for me!)

However you'd get the occasional quite windy or cloudy spell where you'd reach for a hoodie.

It can be a bit hit and miss though as I know other people who have been around the same time and it was jeans and a jumper weather for most of their stay.

annandale Sat 28-Nov-15 21:34:36

I swam in the sea off La Gomera on Christmas Day a few years back. Depends how hot you like it. I wouldn't go away again at Christmas as I found it weird but I have to say Christmas Eve out til midnight with just a light jacket was lovely.

slugseatlettuce Sat 28-Nov-15 21:40:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

specialsubject Sat 28-Nov-15 21:47:09

spent time there just before xmas and just after. Sea was fine for swimming. But then I don't like hot water except in a bath.

no weather guarantees though, as mentioned it is the Atlantic so despite the latitude you get cloudy times.

NotNob Sun 29-Nov-15 22:37:12

We went to Costa Adeje on the exact same date last year. Perfect weather (23/24 every day). Only things was it began to get dark early evening so not so much sun light hours. We loved it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now