Talk

Advanced search

Flybe drops Southampton/Malaga flights!

(9 Posts)
Draylon Thu 12-Nov-15 18:41:55

Hardly Earth-shattering news but blimey.

If Flybe can't make that pay, where can they?

A salient warning to anyone thinking about buying holiday apartments/villas based on obvious Med airports, eh?!

BarbaraofSeville Thu 12-Nov-15 23:09:37

Is there a lot of competition from other airports (Bristol, somewhere else in southern England?) or other airlines from Southampton?

In the north we can fly to Malaga from several airports using several airlines - really spoilt for choice and the flights have usually been full when we have been and that has been out of the main summer season (twice a year on average for last 10 years).

Maybe Hampshire residents don't like the Costa del Sol or Andalucia?

Draylon Fri 13-Nov-15 12:46:05

But...but they flew 7 days a week and it was a struggle to find a flight (wails)! And I've never been on a Spain flight (they appear to have pulled out of Alicante, too)- there have been a few- that hasn't been heaving.

I know this is utterly a first world problem but now we have to schlep to Gatwick rather than the 3 miles to Southampton.

But I still don't 'get' what factors caused them to pull out!

derektheladyhamster Fri 13-Nov-15 12:47:45

I'm flying Bournemouth to Malaga.

Draylon Fri 13-Nov-15 18:11:47

Am I right in thinking the flight times are a bit tricksy? Like an 8.45am departure, which is okay except we'd have to get to B'mouth, too, which is an hour's drive, plus parking, plus check-in (and B'mouth airport is famous for charging for everything). And 6.40am Sat or 7.15am Sun departure Malaga to B'mouth shock grin- we're staying a good hour and a half away from Malaga airport, too!

With Southampton, we had noon out and 2pm back. <sigh> (recalls the good old days...)

Bunbaker Fri 13-Nov-15 23:11:49

They have just started flights to Malaga from Doncaster.

derektheladyhamster Sat 14-Nov-15 15:15:01

We live in Brighton so Gatwick would seem like a fab airport, we did Bournemouth for the first time last year and I don't want to do Gatwick ever again! We only paid for parking (cheaper than Gatwick and parked right outside) flights are at 8am which means we get to Malaga around noon Spanish time. We were in our car 10 mins after landing which included baggage reclaim and popping to the loo! We do stay at a travel lodge the night before but its still cheaper than the flights from Gatwick are

Draylon Sun 15-Nov-15 11:23:39

Yes, derek, but am I right in thinking the return flight is 6.45am from Malaga?

derektheladyhamster Sun 15-Nov-15 17:42:09

Yes I have a feeling you're right. It's an extra day for us so I'm not including it in my holiday. I've deliberately chosen a resort within 20 mins drive! Are Ryanair flying to San Javier? That was a night flight. Sorry not sure whereabouts you're going. I picked the airport and then the apartment, I was so impressed with small airports last year grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now