Talk

Advanced search

Stopover in Turkey - safe to venture alone with kids?

(2 Posts)
eliphant Thu 12-Nov-15 17:15:56

I'm flying to the far east and have a choice of places and airlines to go with. If I take Turkish airlines, it will have a stopover in Istanbul. I was thinking about picking a flight with a long stopover to sightsee Turkey a short bit before leaving. Is it safe for me to do that without a holiday tour guide though? I will be traveling as a lone parent with 2 young DCs aged 7 and 9. How is the public transport and everything?

I have a friend who backpacked to Istanbul and she said its beautiful and safe and within the old city, everywhere is accessible by walking. And she said just take a taxi to the old city from the airport as its only 20 mins drive.

That was a few years ago but wonder if its the same now? Also what can people here recommend I see? The Home Office says Turkey is not that safe but I am assuming that only refers to the Syrian border side, right?

SooticaTheWitchesCat Sat 21-Nov-15 20:18:56

Istanbul is fine. The old part, Sultanahmet is full of tourists so you will be safe enough there. It is a beautiful city and there is loads to see, the Blue mosque and the Grand Bazaar, Aghia Sofia, Topkapi Palace to name just a few places. And the food is wonderful there.

It is only the Syrian border that is unsafe so definitely spend a couple of days there if you have the chance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now