Talk

Advanced search

Anyone been to Tenerife?

(14 Posts)
grumpysquash Tue 10-Nov-15 21:42:57

What resort did you stay in and was it nice?
What about activities for older DC (range 9-14)?
Did you go to Siam Park?

SecretSquirr3ls Thu 12-Nov-15 14:27:35

Yes. Went when DC were 13/15 and again this year with two 19 year olds and a 17 year old.
Siam Park is awesome. The main reason for us going again.
This year we stayed in Costa Adeje which we all loved. DC like pool /water sports and a water park.I always choose a big hotel with lots of daytime entertainment such as water polo, volleyball etc. We were 10 minutes from Siam Park and went twice.
Just beware of packages that offer free Siam Park entry. They tend to be hotels a little out of the way that you might not choose otherwise and you do pay extra in the overall price.

BerylStreep Thu 12-Nov-15 14:39:09

We have stayed between Playa de las Americas and Los Christianos for the last 3 years, and are going again in Feb. I would really recommend the Mediterranean Palace in the Mare Nostrum Resort. The Cleopatra right next door is lovely too.

We have gone to Aqualand, which is pretty good, but haven't tried Siam Park. If you go to Aqualand the food is quite expensive and locker tokens are €5 (and are exactly the same as leisure centre locker tokens at home).

Madbengalmum Fri 13-Nov-15 20:47:47

Do not go to the mare nostrum resort, as it is a building site. Mediterranean palace a very dated old hotel about to be rennovated.
Costa adeje is modern and nice hotels and places to eat.close to the brilliant siam park.

BerylStreep Fri 13-Nov-15 23:29:42

Madbenglamum, when were you last there? We were there in October 2014, and going in February 2016. Have things changed considerably in the interim?

Are they renovating the entire hotel or just upgrading some of the rooms?

SecretSquirr3ls Sat 14-Nov-15 09:12:14

I've stayed in PDLA a couple of times but went to Costa Adeje for the first time this year. It was much, much nicer. If you the teenagers want to go clubbing then it's only a short taxi ride away but I would definitely choose CA over PDLA for any age group. (Unless it was a teenagers clubbing holiday when they might be better off in Playa).
Aqualand is fine for small children but for older ones Siam Park is a world class water park. Have a look on YouTube grin

grumpysquash Sat 14-Nov-15 11:40:52

Thanks for the replies. I Googled Siam Park and it looks amazing. Really good to hear from someone who has been......
Is it really busy in the school hols? We would go next August.
Do you know whether you can get a discount for a second day?

My teens are a bit young for clubbing (15 and 13)!

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 14-Nov-15 11:51:55

Stayed at Sensatori which is a lovely hotel . Was a bit dubious about Tenerife but really liked it .

SecretSquirr3ls Sat 14-Nov-15 13:52:22

Yes it's really busy in August but my teens planned it like a military operation. Arrive early. Head for beach (there is a vast man made beach by the wave pool). Grab lockers and head for the best rides.
We were there from 9am to 7pm exhausted.
If you buy a return ticket while you are there it's half price for the second visit.
The wave pool is like nothing else I've seen. Seriously terrifying, like a tsunami. They love it. Even the lazy river is quite extraordinary and not for the faint hearted.

Beware of salt water pools at some hotels, Sensatori included. We once had a holiday ruined because the pool was salt water and DC hated it with a passion. (As did everyone else, it remained empty for two weeks). I've looked at Sensatori in various resorts and they all seem to use salt water pools. Wouldn't bother me as I like the sea but it's a risk.

Madbengalmum Sat 14-Nov-15 14:00:39

Beryl i was there last week and it is an absolute building site, right outside mare nostrum and on the main rd outside med palace, there is no where to walk and the road is closed. Rumours about med palace renovation have been rife for some time, but the whole area is a building site at the mo, and not due to be finshed for quite some time, next summer i think. It will be fab when finished though

BerylStreep Sat 14-Nov-15 14:40:47

Madbengalmum thanks for that - I'll contact the hotel to see what their schedule is.

We stayed at the Cleopatra 2 years ago, and I ended up complaining because they were renovating one of the rooms opposite our balcony. We agreed that if we knew what time they would be doing the work then we would go out, and they stuck to that, but it still wasn't great.

Hope you had a good holiday anyway.

Dowser Sat 14-Nov-15 22:41:28

I was there last week too . I love PDlA and Los cris has more character I think.

They are re orating all the pavements on the avenida de Americas which is where the mare nostrum is situated. They've been on with itfor a while and made a lot of progress.

Hopefully it will be finished by the time we go back in march.

They are building a resort right on the beach very close to the mare nostrum.

Madbengalmum Sun 15-Nov-15 19:36:11

I have read the renovation of las americas avenue is due to finish nov 2016

Branleuse Tue 17-Nov-15 13:29:17

we went to northern tenerife, near garachico a few years back and it was gorgeous. One of my favourite holidays ever. Didnt like the south much as it was pretty tacky in places,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now