Talk

Advanced search

Greece or other May sun with a creche for 1 and 3 year old?

(9 Posts)
minipie Mon 09-Nov-15 17:41:12

I'm looking for somewhere to take DH and our two DDs next May half term - DDs will be 3.5 and 14 months.

I would like somewhere where they can be in a kids club/creche together for a few hours a day to give us some much needed time together!

Definitely want meals available, though some self catering facilities would be a benefit as not sure what the 14mo will be eating by then.

So far I have on the shortlist:

Periyali in Zakynthos
Ammos in Crete
Sani Beach, Halkidiki

Any views on these? Any options to add to the list? Will also consider Canaries, Morocco, southern Med - anywhere that will have lots of sun in late May and is not too hideous a flight. Budget is very flexible.

Thank you!

specialsubject Mon 09-Nov-15 22:30:05

just a polite warning that none of these places are guaranteed sun in late May, or at any time. Hopefully it will be lovely but I used to be a rep in Greece and remember 3 soggy late May half terms! sad

minipie Mon 09-Nov-15 22:50:59

Oh bugger - that is a worry. I thought that might be a risk but was in denial. Thanks for the warning.

Is Crete more reliable weather wise than other bits of Greece?

specialsubject Mon 09-Nov-15 22:56:31

Nowhere has reliable weather except a desert!! I remember the half-terms because they are of course expensive for the guests, but I assure you it did rain at other times. June to September generally dry though.

Crete is the southernmost part of Greece so has better chances of warm weather.

of course what sun you do get (and it is more likely than not) will be at near peak UV so slap, cover and wrap.

minipie Mon 09-Nov-15 23:13:34

Right, looking for kids clubs in the desert then grin

Guess I may need to look more at the Canaries (shame as I love Greece)

Makemineacabsauv Tue 10-Nov-15 00:13:31

We went to Kos this April and it was lovely. I lived in Crete for years and preferred April/May and Sept/Oct as summer was so hectic. If you want Greece I'd look at Rhodes as well as Crete - resorts will be quiet as still out of season but main towns will still have a lot of life about them. I love Greece in the spring as there's a real sense of freshness and hope - maybe not so much in kos, Rhodes and other islands bordering Turkey with the refuge crisis hitting main towns. You could also look at Cyprus. I can't remember half terms being wet but I probably didn't register wet weather hitting half term hi days way back then!!!

minipie Tue 10-Nov-15 14:13:38

Thanks cabsauv, what was the weather generally like in Crete in May as you recall? Must admit I hadn't thought about the refugee crisis impact blush

Makemineacabsauv Tue 10-Nov-15 18:41:25

Weather in kos this April was t shirt warm but the pool and sea were a bit cold! Warm enough to sunbathe. That's how I remember Crete in may! Some other guests this April had wee wet suits for the kids in the pool and sea. Wore cardigans in evening.

minipie Tue 10-Nov-15 20:32:30

Thanks, sounds good... I think the advice from you both has steered me to May half term (last week in May so hopefully pretty warm) and probably Crete rather than further north... Luckily there are quite a few Crete options around.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now