Talk

Advanced search

Booked and paid for holiday, can we change it to somewhere else???

(11 Posts)
YourHandInMyHand Fri 06-Nov-15 23:14:10

I'm asking here as can't find an answer on first choice website and thought someone on here might know.

We have booked (and paid for) a holiday to Morocco in March but DP is worrying about terrorism threats after the plane in Egypt this week. Is it possible to change our booking to somewhere else? Would we lose our deposit?

I've never been overly bothered / scared off by terrorism but I also don't want us worrying and it spoiling a much needed break so we decided to see where we stood with if we can change it and if it would cost us lots to do so.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Fri 06-Nov-15 23:17:00

You'd need to talk to the company. As it's quite far in advance, you'll probably be able to change, but there is likely to be an admin fee. You'll also have to pay for new flights and any difference in hotel costs.

If you were flying to Egypt, you'd probably have grounds to cancel with your insurance now, but they won't cover as yet unaffected countries.

Give them a call and see what your options are.

MooseBeTimeForSummer Fri 06-Nov-15 23:19:48

No harm in asking but if there's no Foreign Office advice not to travel, you might have problems.

HirplesWithHaggis Fri 06-Nov-15 23:19:54

I have no idea about the t&cs you're signed up to, but where exactly do you think is totally free of potential terrorist threats? London has been bombed, Spain has been bombed, America...

(Having said that, I reckon the Peak District, West Country, Wales and the Scottish Highlands [but not Glasgow Airport, John Smeaton notwithstanding] are probably pretty safe.)

Undertheboredwalk Fri 06-Nov-15 23:22:11

We have a holiday booked next autumn with first choice, I called yesterday to ask about changing somewhere else, I'm having wobbles about the flight length with toddlers! They said change no problem but £50 per person admin fee and you pay any difference between the holiday prices.
I imagine those terms are for all of their holidays so would be the same for you smile

YourHandInMyHand Fri 06-Nov-15 23:32:11

Hirples that is my view. We could go on a weekend away to London or Paris and be in the middle of a terrorist attack! I've travelled all over including other nearby countries like Tunisia. The only reason for me to look into it is I don't fancy a week with an anxious DP.

I know I will have to ask them properly but couldn't find anything on website and no live chat, I will give them a call when I get chance. smile

If it was just an admin fee I wouldn't mind that but if the change is in the 100s price wise I will just buy him a bottle of Kalms. wink

NorthernLurker Fri 06-Nov-15 23:34:17

My sister is in Morocco atm. I will be glad when she's back. I can see why you want to change but the pp is right. Spain, France etc have seen terrorist activity too. Where would you want to swap to?

YourHandInMyHand Fri 06-Nov-15 23:37:19

I don't know NorthernLurker re: alternative destinations, would look into that IF we could afford to change I guess. TBH I don't really want to go through looking for a hol destination again, I find the deciding on destination then specific hotel etc quite stressful!

We chose that region as short flights and nice temp in March, not sure where else we could opt for really as it's not a time of year I usually go away.

YourHandInMyHand Fri 06-Nov-15 23:38:16

Undertheboredwalk - thanks that sounds promising. smile

NorthernLurker Sat 07-Nov-15 12:26:14

I don't know what Cyprus is like then? Or Malta?

gallicgirl Sat 07-Nov-15 12:32:35

I've been to Crete in March and it was very pleasant, about 25C IIRC. I imagine Cyprus would be similar if not better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now