Talk

Advanced search

Tips for Barcelona with kids

(22 Posts)
TarkaDarling Wed 21-Oct-15 12:56:00

Anyone got any must sees or don't dos for us?

We're going next week with kids aged 3-10.

Also, what's the beach like and is it likely to be rammed?

angemorange Wed 21-Oct-15 13:13:28

We have been a few times with our DS, now 9 but he was 3 on our first trip. Zoo and Aquarium are good for kids and we all enjoyed a trip to the Nou Camp!

A bus tour you can get off and on is usually best way to see the city for the first time, although it is quite compact and you can get about easily.

We also enjoyed visiting Holy Family Church, Chocolate Museum, Parc Guell and Marina area. Beach was never too packed any time we were there, but don't think we ever went at half term before.

La Ramblas is worth a look but full of over priced tat and a mecca for pick pockets.

Eixample area lovely to walk around and look at all the Gaudi houses!

Well jel you are going - have a fab time smile

abear Wed 21-Oct-15 13:16:28

I second all the above and would add a trip to La Boqueria market and boat trip round the cargo port which my boys loved.

7to25 Wed 21-Oct-15 13:21:08

Just put this on another thread. CosmoCaixa science museum. Brilliant. You can walk through a rain forest.

TarkaDarling Wed 21-Oct-15 13:22:53

These all sound great, thank you!

I love aquariums, so that's a definite.

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Wed 21-Oct-15 13:27:41

Lucky you! Barcelona was our favourite family holiday ever.

There is loads of family friendly stuff to do. We instigated a siesta so they could stay up later in the evening as lots of stuff is closed in the afternoon and then reopens later on. We also found it really easy to get around on the underground.

The Magic Fountains (only on certain evenings so check this) were incredibly cheesy but fun smile we did that on our first evening.

Our first day we strolled down the Ramblas, stopping for hot chocolate at the Cafe de l'Opera. Then bought picnic stuff in the Bocqueria, had a lazy lunch on a square just off the Ramblas before heading up to Parc Guell for a picnic tea, runaround for the kids and stunning views of the city for us.

They also enjoyed the Sagrada Familia and the Miro museum (we got there via the Funicular) If they like football then the tour of Camp Nou is very good. The beach is fine, clean and nice white sand - it was quite full when we were there but that was early June and it was 30C - I would assume it would be a bit quieter at the end of October?

There's a theme park thing if you want more specifically kid stuff to do and a zoo but we didn't have time for either of those so no idea what they are like.

My final tip is that you get great value lunchtime set menus. Tapas is a good evening option as you can have tapas at 7pm, whereas a lot of proper restaurants don't get full until 10pm ish.

angemorange Wed 21-Oct-15 13:29:29

Forgot about Food Market! We also went to Picasso Museum which was good.

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Wed 21-Oct-15 13:51:47

We walked a fair bit too - it's a very pleasant city to walk around in and didn't feel oppressive despite the heat. And you can plan your route so you take in some Gaudi architecture on the way.

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Wed 21-Oct-15 13:54:05

ange what's the Picasso museum like with kids? I went with dh many moons ago and we quite enjoyed it but I remember lots of early drawings and less stuff that you would instantly recognise as Picasso. So we went for Miro instead with the kids as I thought they'd like the big bold colourful stuff (they were younger than your ds though - aged 5-8 at the time)

angemorange Wed 21-Oct-15 14:06:36

We went when my DS was about 4 - my DP was very interested in the art so I let him do the 'musing' and slow appreciation while my DS and I did a bit of a whistle stop tour! My DS enjoyed it - he called it a 'big castle' and actually still remembers it.

It may be better for older kids on the whole though, there were quite a few school groups if I remember right.

dynevoran Wed 21-Oct-15 14:12:03

We took ds's scooter and he loved scooter ing round the city. We stopped off at two good skate parks. It was a July heatwave when we went and ds2 had a big reaction to his MMR so we spent much more time just mooching around our apartment and local area then we planned but loved it nonetheless. Can't wait to go again NOT in July!

geogteach Wed 21-Oct-15 14:40:10

We went for October half term a couple of years ago, its pleasant but definately not hot. I remember walking by the beach and the kids using the playgrounds but dont think they went in the sea. There is a museum of innovation or new ideas that I can't remember the name of but the kids loved, some really weird and wacky stuff and all labelled in English so accessible for everyone. The market is definately a highlight, DS2 was about 8 or 9 and spent all the euros his grandmother had given him there on olives, almonds, chorizo and churros.

TarkaDarling Wed 21-Oct-15 15:29:33

this is brilliant stuff guys thank you! I'm compiling a list here.

We don't need it to be hot for our kids to go in the sea, and it'll be warmer than when we went to Llandudno a couple of weeks ago!

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Wed 21-Oct-15 15:53:14

There are lots of little parks dotted around the city too - pretty crucial for residents as nearly everyone lives in apartments - might be good for your lo. Might be worth checking out what's near wherever you are staying.

TarkaDarling Wed 21-Oct-15 16:54:51

good news about the parks.

Also, is it better to book tickets for museums and things beforehand or just rock up on the day?

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Wed 21-Oct-15 18:33:58

It might be better to book in advance but we just paid for stuff on the day without any problems iirc.

dynevoran Wed 21-Oct-15 20:25:51

In July there were big queues to buy tickets for sagrada familia and part of park guell but I'm sure October wouldn't be so busy.

I'm envious! Wish I was going next week. Off to Copenhagen though for three days while the kids have a holiday at my in-laws. Win-win.

TarkaDarling Wed 21-Oct-15 20:37:18

ooh, I'm a tiny bit jealous of you and your adult city break dynevoran!

TarkaDarling Sun 25-Oct-15 12:32:17

I have another question!

Does everywhere shut for siesta? Places like tourist sites, cafes, museums etc? Or willed still be able to find things to do of an afternoon?

mayhew Mon 02-Nov-15 22:14:25

Tibidabo retro funfair with fantastic views.

SixtyFootDoll Fri 20-Nov-15 18:10:47

It's a 24 hr city, nothing closes!

I'd recommend the open top bus tour to get a 'feel' for the city

It's a great place I love it.

IsabellaofFrance Tue 24-Nov-15 15:05:00

Don't forget the Telerific cable car. My DC's loved that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now