Talk

Advanced search

Croatia - cheap to eat out?

(14 Posts)
Jungfraujoch Mon 12-Oct-15 12:44:37

Thinking of next year's summer holiday, but having done self catering for the last however many years, I'd really like a break from the cooking/shopping (don't want to sound ungrateful though!).

Hotels still prices but I'm hopeful,that if we find an apartment/house we can afford to,eat out most days.

Anyone been this year?

Sandgroper Mon 12-Oct-15 15:02:50

Hi

We went this Aug for 2 weeks and stayed in an apartment (with its own pool) 30 mins from Split airport. DH travels a lot and stays in fancy hotels and prefers s/catering, on the proviso that he does all the cooking etc so I get a break.

Also the Pound against the Kuna (not sure if that's how it's spelt) helped us out too.

Had planned on cooking a bit, eating out a bit but we found the meals to be pretty cheap and so we ate out every day. Lunch or dinner, though was incredibly humid during the day (brought up in Oz so used to high summer temps but dry heat) and the few lunches we ate out our DS's found it too hot. They preferred going out in the evening when it was a bit cooler, though you have to contend with the mozzies but you can't have it all. They had local markets which were cheap to get fruit, veggies, meat etc and the supermarkets were cheap too and open all day (no siesta like France or Spain) until 10pm which was very convenient.

We loved it so much we are planning on going back again.

Jungfraujoch Mon 12-Oct-15 16:29:08

Thanks for that Sandgroper - exactly what I was hoping to hear! TBH I prefer having our own place to spread out in but without the need to cook!

Just got to decide where! We'd definitely like to explore Dubrovnik and like you will go for a fortnight so 2 centres could be an option. Or maybe somewhere within a bus or boat ride away from there.

Will you go back to the same place or try somewhere else?

CactusAnnie Mon 12-Oct-15 16:36:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Jungfraujoch Mon 12-Oct-15 16:50:36

Cactus - thank you for your comments. Any island recommendations?

Bunbaker Mon 12-Oct-15 17:47:36

We didn't find Croatia particularly cheap to eat out. We stayed just outside Dubrovnik a couple of years ago and a lunch of 3 pizzas, a couple of beers and a couple of soft drinks came to about £30, which is what it would cost at home (we don't live anywhere near London).

Dubrovnik is lovely. It is a UNESCO world heritage site and justifiably so. Make sure you wear comfortable shoes for walking around it.

moggle Mon 12-Oct-15 17:55:35

We didn't find it mega cheap, visited in 2013 high season.
Island wise, we went to Hvar and Vis- both lovely though very different. Hvar full of posh yachters and massive boats to gawp at. Nice shops and restaurants.
Vis was a secret army base in the communist days and very low key still, though some lovely restaurants and enough to keep you occupied especially biking around the coast. We loved Split too. The beaches and coast is stunning but almost no sandy beaches- you need a yoga mat to sunbathe comfortably really.
We booked accommodation through Airbnb and stayed in some lovely little apartments. A very memorable holiday and I hope we can go back one day.

Jungfraujoch Mon 12-Oct-15 19:30:23

Thank you all - very helpful and interesting. But I'm none the wiser as to which area/islands.

Don't want anything busy, but would like to be able to,walk to a few restaurants and basic shop if possible. Where would be good?

KittyOShea Mon 12-Oct-15 19:45:49

Korcula Island is like a mini Dubrovnik- walled medieval town centre- lovely restaurants and bars- quiet though- we stayed there a few days- very relaxing

Mljet is a nature reserve island- large freshwater lakes- you can swim wherever you like- plenty of hiking and biking- we just did day trip but would stay the next time

Hvar is Croatia's Cannes- yachts and the jet set

Dubrovnik is lovely but very crowded- a few days is enough. Cavtat a nearby resort is quitter and short bus/ boat ride away but was too quiet for us.

Roman ruins in Split are pretty spectacular.
Would go back tomorrow

Jungfraujoch Mon 12-Oct-15 20:13:39

Very comprehensive Kitty - thank you! Is it easy to get from Split to Dubrovnik or from Mijet?

KittyOShea Mon 12-Oct-15 20:53:41

We went to Mljet from Korcula but I would imagine boats go from split or Dubrovnik too.

Bus journeys between each are long as roads aren't great- boat trips on ferry are as long but much more enjoyable. Regular Ferries to all in the summer.

I'd suggest starting in Split or Dubrovnik- then island(s) of your choice and finishing in the other city.

It's a truly beautiful country with lovely people, delicious food and great weather. You'll love it. We've been 3 times and will be back again soon

moggle Wed 14-Oct-15 19:08:15

If you want to do a bit of island hopping and are not going in the high season do check the ferry timetables. There aren't necessarily boats going the route you want every day of the week (even in high season), and there are a number of different businesses operating so they don't necessarily connect up nicely time wise. Also many of them are for commuters not holiday makers so we found you can't necessary do a day trip from big city to small island as the ferries take commuters the other way. How the ferries join up dictated to us which islands you decide to go to. We spent 10 days there in August so high season, and decided that it was too difficult to do the full route from Dubrovnik to Split as it involved too much travelling. We did a circular route from Split in the end. Saving Dubrovnik and Mljet for another visit.
A site i found invaluable for planning is this one - I paid to get their comprehensive ferry guide emailed and it was brilliant. Of course if you're planning next summer's holiday the timetables won't be out yet but at least this site should get an idea of which routes run. Also it tells you stuff like which ferries you can buy tickets in advance and which you have to queue up on the morning of sailing, which get booked up super quick, etc.

It is soooo hard to choose which islands to visit!!

If you spend any time inland I highly recommend Plitvice national park, it's absolutely stunning.

Jungfraujoch Wed 14-Oct-15 22:21:15

Hi Moggie thanks for the ferry insight. Yes, I had come to the conclusion that the ferries were a bit erratic with their timetables!

We are planning to go next August for 2 weeks and I'm now thinking Dubrovnik either at the beginning or end of the holiday and an island the rest of the time - maybe Korcula or .......? Too many gorgeous places to choose from!!

hifi Sun 18-Oct-15 12:41:21

Korcula is beautiful. We took the ferry from Split, 4 hours but the time flew. The drinks and food on the ferry was very cheap. 9 of us ate out at various restaurants on the island, fish, loads of wine and it never cost more than £120.
we had a week in Korcula then a week in Split, we ate out every night, 2 adults 2 kids and a bottle of wine £50 a night.

theres a flight from split to Korcula from next www.ec-air.eu/en/destinations/korcula/?gclid=CPL03Ij3y8gCFUI_GwodZUsCtw

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now