Talk

Advanced search

Algarve/Portugal in general

(12 Posts)
Costacoffeeplease Sun 27-Sep-15 15:53:26

I've also posted this on the Carvoeiro thread

Just a heads up to anyone looking at booking a trip to the algarve, or anywhere in Portugal, next year.

There is already quite a demand for the peak summer weeks, which hasn't happened since 2008/9, plus new rental licensing laws which penalise owners who take too many bookings confused so I wouldn't expect too many bargains and late deals next year. Once owners have hit the threshold, a lot will just turn enquiries away rather than go into the next level of income

Costacoffeeplease Sun 27-Sep-15 15:54:06

Confused should be confused

Onykahonie Sun 27-Sep-15 17:00:22

I'm looking for Easter and found a lot of accommodation is already booked up.

Costacoffeeplease Sun 27-Sep-15 18:19:13

That's interesting, I'm not surprised really - it could also be that owners aren't going to bother letting in low rent periods, where margins are tight, and just taking bookings for the more expensive periods

It's not such a problem with the larger, high end villas, who will easily go over the limit - or with very small apartments who won't get near it, but it could be for the more expensive, popular apartments, and smaller, cheaper villas

Hoppinggreen Sun 27-Sep-15 19:19:28

Anyone who likes The Algarve I would suggest you also look at the Costa De la Luz in Spain, which is just next door, quieter and generally much cheaper.

Costacoffeeplease Thu 01-Oct-15 12:27:16

Also, as part of the new rental licensing laws, owners/managers have to collect passport details for all clients and upload them onto the SEF website (bordel control/foreign office) so don't be surprised if you are asked for copies of your passports - it's totally legit and there are considerable fines for non-compliance

Behooven Sun 04-Oct-15 20:50:18

We usually come to the Algarve for the October school week but not this year. I couldn't understand why the Scottish flights were extortionate!
It's the bleddy football - Faro is hosting the Gibralter-Scotland game so the airlines are cashing in sad

Costacoffeeplease Sun 04-Oct-15 21:20:55

Bloody footballangry when I'm in charge it will be banned (I'll have to wait a while, we had elections here todaysmile)

Costacoffeeplease Sat 10-Oct-15 07:12:00

The Algarve has been voted best European beach destination at the World Travel Awards, for the third time in the last 5 years smile

www.worldtravelawards.com/award-europes-leading-beach-destination-2015

Behooven Sun 25-Oct-15 22:16:31

We are thinking if the Lisbon area for summer next year - anyone have recommendations? We love harbour vibes, acces to beaches and not to commercial if that exists around there?

elvisthehamster Tue 27-Oct-15 01:01:00

Not actually been but we originally looked into going to Lisbon and silver coast area and Cascais looks really nice?

Behooven Tue 27-Oct-15 20:37:21

Yes Cascais is on the list!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now