Talk

Advanced search

So, I have a big birthday coming up. Would like a weekend away to a city with DH. Barcelona or Madrid ?

(57 Posts)
AnyFucker Sun 16-Aug-15 17:16:33

I love Spain, haven't been to either. Any thoughts ? I like to wander around pretty places, I like to sit outside cafes watching the world go by and I like to people watch. I want something luxury (ish) close to the cafe and people watching stuff.

TurnOffTheTv Sun 16-Aug-15 17:19:46

Why don't you stay at The W on the marina in Barcelona? Fab hotel, great cocktails, walking distance to most stuff. Masses of places to mooch around and people watch. Gothic quarter great for a stroll and coffee. I've been a dozen times, it's my favourite place. Nearly too many places to mention that are gorgeous to see!

AnyFucker Sun 16-Aug-15 17:21:31

< googling >

TurnOffTheTv Sun 16-Aug-15 17:22:25

www.w-barcelona.com

ImperialBlether Sun 16-Aug-15 17:23:03

Barcelona - it's a fantastic city.

How old are you, AF? It's funny when you see someone on here and then realise you know nothing about them. I remember you saying once you had brown hair and I thought, "No, you haven't!"

AnyFucker Sun 16-Aug-15 17:32:21

My natural hair colour is mousy brown < ahem >

I will be 50 smile

Nydj Sun 16-Aug-15 17:33:16

Haven't been to Madrid so a little unfair but I'd definitely go back to Barcelona!

AnyFucker Sun 16-Aug-15 17:33:56

that looks fantastic, TurnOff

is it a summer sort of place ?...we will be going in Nov/Dec

Coconutty Sun 16-Aug-15 17:34:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AnyFucker Sun 16-Aug-15 17:34:47

Lisbon ? Don't confuse me now.... shock

peaz Sun 16-Aug-15 17:36:09

I've been to both and would revisit Barcelona time and time again. We were there this January, stayed just out of the city (3 stops on the metro) and paid £25 a night. That way, all our money went on tapas, sangria and football tickets...

AnyFucker Sun 16-Aug-15 17:37:32

Not into football. Into tapas, but need to lay off the Sangria smile

ImperialBlether Sun 16-Aug-15 17:41:23

I can't remember my natural hair colour! I wouldn't recognise it in a line up.

TurnOffTheTv Sun 16-Aug-15 17:41:55

In the summer it's full of cool locals having trendy cocktails around the pool, there is normally a DJ on grin I've been in November, but not to that hotel, but I'm assuming it's pretty busy all year round.

TurnOffTheTv Sun 16-Aug-15 17:45:05

If you want to be more 'in town' I can't fault The Novotel, I was there in May and is great for tram/tube etc. it's also opposite Les Glories which is great for shopping, and has a downstairs galleria with restaurants etc. if you can't be bothered to go far. Amazing breakfast as well!

thenightsky Sun 16-Aug-15 17:46:10

Barcelona. Been at least 10 times and happy to keep on going. Love the place. smile

AnyFucker Sun 16-Aug-15 17:47:47

Not really into shopping, tbh

Not seeing much love for Madrid so far ....

DrankSangriaInThePark Sun 16-Aug-15 17:49:53

Oh, AF, same age as me. I would choose Madrid a million times over Barcelona. It just seems more genuinely itself to me. Barcelona seemed harsh and soulless to me compared to Madrid, and like a snooty designer clad supermodel.
I wouldn't actually go to either. I'd go to my beloved Salamanca.
Hated Lisbon.

TurnOffTheTv Sun 16-Aug-15 17:50:18

So. No shopping, no sangria, no football grin just the food then!

TwoLeftSocks Sun 16-Aug-15 17:53:22

Barcelona's much more chilled out and easy to get about than Madrid, though Madrid has got some great spots too. Are you just thinking of one of those two, or would somewhere like Granada, Seville or Cordoba be an option?

Madrid gets quite cool/cold in the winter (second highest capital in Europe) but Barcelona and other coastal and southern cities are quite a nice temperature.

Potcallingkettle Sun 16-Aug-15 17:54:03

Barcelona - Hotel duquesa de cardona. Fabulous boutique hotel near the waterfront with a tiny rooftop pool.

AnyFucker Sun 16-Aug-15 18:11:22

Two I could be swayed towards any of those others, tbh

Interesting that Madrid could be a little cold. I don't expect high temps in Nov, but pleasant enough to sit outside bars and cafes would be nice

and a little sangria will be OK smile

AnyFucker Sun 16-Aug-15 18:12:31

Drank am looking for direct flights, so Salamanca off the menu ?

AnyFucker Sun 16-Aug-15 18:13:09

will Google that Pot

TwoLeftSocks Sun 16-Aug-15 18:15:57

I was there in January and it had snowed the week before. Quite funny really, I was there in a jumper and light jacket and the locals were in woolly hats and think winter wear. It's all relative I guess.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now