Talk

Advanced search

Dordogne

(6 Posts)
CanYouHearThePeopleSing Tue 04-Aug-15 10:13:51

I've got 2 weeks planned in SW france in September - one week on the coast (all booked), and I'd like to spend a week inland somewhere, in the vast region that is the Dordogne! I'm struggling to narrow it down, so any hints or recommendations would be welcome. My criteria are:
Ideally no more than 2 hours from Bordeaux
Small town (essentially somewhere with restaurants for eating out and shops (bakery!) for breakfast goods

We plan to do a bit of sightseeing (which could involve walking etc) and a bit of chilling out/relaxing. There are just the 2 of us.

Any thoughts, hints, tips would be amazing!
Thanks smile

Aberchips Tue 04-Aug-15 14:54:40

Brantome is very nice (although quite a lot further north than the actual Dordogne river) we stayed just outside a couple of years ago. There are several lovely restaurants down by the river & you are close to lots of things to do & see.

St Emillion is a lovely old town (with lots of wine tasting possibilities) although just did a day trip there so not sure what it's like to stay.

There are also nice places round Bergerac as well.

songbird Tue 04-Aug-15 15:05:58

Beaumont-du-Perigord is a beautiful town, as is Monpazier, although the latter might be a little over 2 hours from Bordeaux. There's an amazing village just east of Beaumont called St Avit Senieur with an incredible medieval church and ruined abbey, and a lovely restaurant and cafe/shop - perfect for a couple of hours exploration and lunch! And if you need to find somewhere to stay this gite right in the heart of the village is perfect for two people. Have a look at the photos, it's really lovely, the people who own it are lovely too (I call them mum and dad!). I've no idea if it's booked up in September, but you can just email them to check. Tell them I recommended it grin

songbird Tue 04-Aug-15 15:07:09

Oh and I should say my dad has mapped out some lovely walks for visitors, and we've done the 5km or so walk from St Avit to Beaumont several times, it's really lovely.

MyHovercraftIsFullOfEels Wed 05-Aug-15 13:30:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CanYouHearThePeopleSing Fri 07-Aug-15 12:13:02

Thanks for all the recommendations! It's really helped focus my search area.

Your (parents') gite looks lovely Songbird, but sadly it's booked when we're going. I've found a lovely gite in Belves, so hopefully they can fit us in. And we've got a night booked in Saint Emilion too smile

Just need nice weather, and we'll be sorted!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now