Talk

Advanced search

Disneyland Paris - tips please!

(27 Posts)
Bangonthedoor Sun 02-Aug-15 05:38:58

I was thinking of planning a trip to Disneyland Paris this December (out of school hols) and I wondered if anyone has got any good tips re booking?

Are there any sites that do good offers? Or is it best to book via the official website? And what's the difference between all the Disneyland hotels?

There will be 2 adults, a 3 year old and a 10 month old. Thanks in advance!

BeautifulBatman Sun 02-Aug-15 05:42:53

Honestly, with the children that young, I wouldn't bother taking them at all yet.

Bangonthedoor Sun 02-Aug-15 05:50:01

Really? What's the reason for that beautiful? Obviously it's not for my ten month old, more for DD1. She will start school next September (2016) and I was thinking that this will be my last chance to take her before we're restricted with no term time holidays.

Loveleopardprint Sun 02-Aug-15 05:59:10

Hi, I took my daughter at three and she really doesn't remember much about it but she had a fabulous time when she was there. We have some lovely memories and photos of that holiday.

My tips would be to wear thermals and layers as it is freezing!! Also take lots of snacks that they like as the food in the park is mediocre and expensive. Stay in a hotel as close as possible as the days a long and tiring and sometimes it is nice to go back to the hotel for a nap.

I am sure Disney in December will be magical.

frikadela01 Sun 02-Aug-15 06:00:27

Since it's bound to be an expensive holiday I would wait until both can appreciate it. Just think at the moment only you or your dp will be able to do rides with dd1 whilst the other waits with the baby. Could make for holiday with a lot of waiting around

Dollyemi Sun 02-Aug-15 06:13:15

I heard that midweek is better than weekend, my sister took her family at a weekend and got jostled and pushed over by French adults!! Get as decent a hotel as budget will allow and as near as possible as pp said. Wrap up warm and get comfy shoes!

Bangonthedoor Sun 02-Aug-15 06:19:05

Thanks loveleopardprint, all very helpful smile

Also thanks frikadela, that does make sense but we plan on having another child at some point so I think there'll always be a baby in the pushchair?

duzzlightyearsmum Sun 02-Aug-15 06:29:29

We went when DS was 1, in fact we were there for his birthday, he doesn't remember it but absolutely loved it while we were there. We also went last year when he was not quite 2 and we're going in December this time with DD who will be 15months by the time we go.

In my opinion adopting the 'they won't remember it's policy can get a bit silly as it might stop you doing anything. Also as long as the baby can sit up she should be able to go on most of the little rides. And the 3year old unless quite tall won't be able to go on the coasters anyway so you'll probably give them a miss anyway I would have thought.

We're staying in the Sequoia when we go and if you book direct they've got a book 2 nights get 2 free offer on right now so that works out pretty well. Book your travel separately though as Disney put a huge mark up on it. The meal vouchers aren't necessarily great for saving money but we quite like them as it means we don't have to budget for food when we arrive.

It will be cold as pp have said so take warm clothing and also as previously mentioned take snacks.

Hth

Bangonthedoor Sun 02-Aug-15 06:37:45

Thanks duzzlightyearsmum, also very helpful.

It's not so much the cost re school holidays, it's more about being busy. Or is it somewhere that's just as packed no matter what time of year you go?

duzzlightyearsmum Sun 02-Aug-15 06:41:38

Generally quieter outside of school holidays. First time we went we arrive just before half term and it was pretty quiet and the end of our stay was during half term and it was noticeably busier. Second trip was beginning of January just after the schools went back and it was very quiet. Think longest queue was about 45 minutes for the bigger rides. So definitely quieter, my only issue is that with that you also have to accept that less is going on and less restaurants will be open because of less visitors.

Newbrummie Sun 02-Aug-15 06:42:04

It's going to be busy the whole of December. I just think you can peak too soon with kids. Find if you can afford Disney every few years but this going to cost you £2000 at least, I'd be waiting til you have all three and the do remember it personally. You could literally be anywhere with kids that age they won't have a clue.
My 13 year old has little memory of Florida Disney and she was 6

madcattersteaparty Sun 02-Aug-15 06:47:21

December in Disneyland Paris is really magical because of the Christmas theming. But I couldn't emphasize enough the importance of going midweek if you can. The difference in crowds on the Saturday was phenomenal.

Hannahouse Sun 02-Aug-15 06:49:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ohanarama Sun 02-Aug-15 07:04:42

I took my Dd at 2 and it was the perfect age - she had the best time! 3 is definitely not too young! Just take lots of video so she can watch it when she's older to remember it! She loved seeing the princesses, tea party with the characters, parades, ice skating show (not sure if they still do this), fake snow falling on main street etc etc.
Like a previous poster said, at that age you only go on smaller rides, not rollercoasters, so you can take baby on with you. Also there are shows like Animagique which you could all enjoy together.
The Christmas theme and lights are absolutely amazing but they start them quite early in November. You might find November a little cheaper and less busy.
If your 3 yr old no longer uses a pushchair it might be worth bringing one for her anyway as she will undoubtedly want to give her legs a rest and maybe have a short nap at some point. We also preferred staying at one of the disney hotels so we could nip back to our room when the kids needed to rest.

BeautifulBatman Sun 02-Aug-15 07:21:37

Honestly, it's bloody expensive and I'm a 'too young to remember' subscriber. I'd save it, save some money and go to Florida when they're a bit older. Far superior in every way, and a lot less expensive when you get there. The quality of food in the park is dire. And a rip off.

Bangonthedoor Sun 02-Aug-15 07:29:24

Thanks everyone, all your comments have been really helpful. I suppose it's an each to their own situation! Now I don't know whether to wait or not lol grin

Although whenever we do decide to go, you've given me lots of advice re the park and hotels.

Toffeelatteplease Sun 02-Aug-15 07:41:11

Disneyland Paris is fantastic with small children. This has been our main holiday for years. DD first went at 9 months Ds was 5 or 6 I think. Those people who are saying they are too young are missing the point. It really isn't about what they remember as the fun you will have together and the fantastic photos. My two did remember an impression of the castle and it being fun from a remarkably young age.

Another vote for the dining plan, less because it will save you money but more because you will eat at considerably nicer places and at that age you appreciate the value of food that comes to you. And character meals are fantastic at that age

The layout of newport bay is not good for pushchairs. Sequoia hotel ask for floor 1 and you can roll out from your room to the restaurants; or get a golden forest room then it doesn't matter . My explorers was nice but I preferred to walk to the parks than use the shuttles. Sequoia is our favourite.

Midweek is quieter than weekends. Tuesday through Thursday are quietest BUT when it's quiet not everything runs. We used to arrive on a Sunday , do anything that wouldnt ve happening midweek, and leave Wednesday or Thursday.

Take your time and don't expect to do it all. Use the magic hours to do the main rides (if you stay in the disney hotels) focus on shows and parades afternoons. One morning do fantasyland the next buzz lightyears intergalactic spin. Aim to catch the evening show once, small children find the staying up late tough .

Start watching disney films before going!

Toffeelatteplease Sun 02-Aug-15 07:41:45

5 or 6 months!!!

cogitosum Sun 02-Aug-15 07:51:16

There's a Facebook group called Disneyland Paris for Brits which is really useful.
Apparently booking on the French site is cheaper.
My 2yo loved it so don't worry about being too Young. 10 mo will also pick up on atmosphere etc.

PatriciaHolm Sun 02-Aug-15 22:26:53

We took DS at 3 and he didn't enjoy it at all! 5 year old DD did, and they both enjoyed it at 6/7.5 and then this year again at 9/10.5. At 3 he just didn't like many of the rides and it was all just too big and noisy.

Heels99 Mon 03-Aug-15 16:54:26

It will be very cold and there is a lot of queuing and walkin stay at the nearest hotel to the park that you can afford take ski stuff for little ones especially ski gloves

Floralnomad Mon 03-Aug-15 17:05:22

We go in December most years and it really isn't that busy during the week ,the only really big queues are for the dumbos / Peter pan / buzz in the main park , the studios are generally much quieter . We normally stay at the New York , we've done the Disneyland hotel but for me it's not worth the price difference especially as we generally go to the village anyway . Newport Bay can be a nightmare at breakfast so I'd avoid that . It can be really cold , we have had heavy snow several times ( we have been going for 21 years !) . I love it during the Christmas season ,we have been at all times of the year and Christmas is the best IMO . I always reccomend driving yourself it makes it much more economic and you can take as much crap as you want , it's a very straightforward drive on the french side . Have fun .

IceniMist Mon 03-Aug-15 17:15:04

We've booked to go in the first week of December for DDs fourth birthday.

Think it is a great way to spend her birthday and I don't go along with the too young idea. You don't know what next year will bring.

We have booked in for a princess lunch and wild west show, and we are staying at the main hotel.

I am making a pininterest board of ideas.

westcountrywoman Mon 03-Aug-15 17:29:04

If you book on the German version of Disneyland Paris website at the moment, you get free half board meals included, plus an extra night for free (so book 3 nights but only pay for 2 etc). Kids under 7 go free too so it's a really good deal.

The website is in German but if you use Chrome you can translate on-page if your German isn't great!

You'll pay in Euros but that's good news at the moment as the exchange rate is good.

Also, it won't let you change the country from 'Deutschland' but it's ok to write 'U.K.' after your town name and leave Deutschland as the country. All documents are emailed, not posted, so it doesn't matter.

Avoid the first weekend in December as it's a holiday weekend in Spain so lots of Spanish visitors. Most weekends will be busy anyway but this one (and the one before Christmas) will be extra busy.

IceniMist Mon 03-Aug-15 21:26:59

Think we leave the first sat in December. Go for it OP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now