Talk

Advanced search

Amsterdam with teens - things to do / places to eat??

(10 Posts)
CointreauVersial Tue 28-Jul-15 13:35:04

We have booked a couple of days in Amsterdam, en route to Center Parcs, and would welcome some good ideas of nice/interesting/fun places to go and things to do.

There will be four kids, 15, 15, 14 and 12. One boy, three girls.

(We have done Ann Frank on a previous visit)

Also, any nice restaurants you'd recommend, so I can book ahead and avoid the inevitable whining traipse-around at 8pm? Reasonably teen-friendly, not too pricey, maybe something "traditional"??

CointreauVersial Wed 29-Jul-15 12:39:11

I was going to apologise for deserting my own thread, but I see I needn't have rushed back...grin

Anyone???

dlwelly Wed 29-Jul-15 13:19:44

Whereabouts are you staying? I'm not sure what is traditional - the small chips/fries vendors and waffle places seem to be quite traditional but not where you would go for dinner! I'd play it by ear and try to choose somewhere when you're out in the day and just go in and book!

I would recommend the dungeons if your budget allows (you can buy slightly discounted tickets from those tour places dotted around - the ones with the red signs that seem to be on every corner!) it's a good whole morning/afternoon activity and they do tours in English so you'll be fine to understand everything. It's based on the history of Amsterdam rather than just trying to scare you so it's sort of educational too!

We also did the body works exhibition (the happiness project) and found this very interesting.

I visited with a friend rather than children so we did the red light museum, sex museums etc. very interesting but maybe not appropriate with children depending on how you feel!

There is a Madame Tussaud's in Amsterdam too but we didn't do this so I'm afraid I can't comment on what it's like!

QforCucumber Wed 29-Jul-15 13:25:19

We got a dual ticket for Tussauds and the Dungeons - tussauds is a good way to waste a couple of hours, nothing too special. The dungeons was fantastic, a proper tour which takes you back in time and is very interactive.

Hard Rock cafe just off the centre, but for local places we just found one and would walk in - wasn't a lot of waiting around really.
We stayed in the museum quarter a 5 minute walk from the Rijksmuseum, house of bols and Van Gough museums, all of which had queues but looked good. There were a few regular cafes and restaurants around here.

CointreauVersial Wed 29-Jul-15 17:55:32

Ooh, thanks, not heard of the dungeons. Not some Disney-esque fake place, like London Dungeons, I hope?

Van Gogh museum is a definite possible, at least for some of us.

Red Light District, err, no. Although we did manage to get lost in it last time we were there, on a Friday night, in the pouring rain. The DCs were not amused.

I will keep looking for a nice restaurant. It's always a bit stressful trying to find somewhere that has a table, that everyone likes the look of (have wasted hours in the past), so if I have booked somewhere we can avoid the rows.

I have booked a hotel on the outskirts (Novotel) as we will have a packed car/roof box and I couldn't face negotiating city centre driving and parking. It is a short tram ride from the centre. Would welcome alternative hotel suggestions, though....

Hangingbasket14 Wed 29-Jul-15 18:07:12

Try Moeders to eat, traditional, if slightly random, it's Dutch for 'Mothers' and the place is covered floor to ceiling with photos of visitors mothers. The science museum (NEMO) is aimed at little ones but the building and the fantastic outdoor terrace makes it worth a visit, also the Heineken factory tour is good fun especially if you also do the boat trip part.

dlwelly Wed 29-Jul-15 18:30:13

I've not been to London dungeons but the branding is the same - I think they're part of the same group so probably very similar but we loved it!

QforCucumber Wed 29-Jul-15 19:39:13

I much preferred the amsterdam dungeons to the London ones, took you on a tour through amsterdam history but interactive too.
We stayed in the nh museum quarter - got a really good deal through hotels.com but was about 25 minute walk into the centre.
actually can't wait to go back smile

MrsPresley Wed 29-Jul-15 19:45:33

Nemo Science museum is fantastic! If the weathers nice you can sit outside at the top with a coffee.

Corpus - A journey through the human body isn't far from Amsterdam and worth a visit especially as you have a car.

CointreauVersial Thu 30-Jul-15 16:21:50

Have booked a table at Moeders for the first evening - thank you, Hangingbasket14 - it looks just what we're after!

I really fancy the Bodyworks exhibition, but the DDs went "Ewww! Dead bodies!" when I mentioned it. I'll work on them....

DH has his eye on the Heineken tour.

Any more??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now