Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Rome - cheap cafes and restaurants

(8 Posts)
Leo35 Sun 26-Jul-15 17:58:51

I was hoping to draw on the MNetters recommendations for reasonably priced restaurants in Rome. We will be travelling with the DSs (aged 6 and 10). Cheap and cheerful suits us fine! TIA

Leo35 Mon 27-Jul-15 11:40:17

Bumping. Any other top travel tips for Rome gratefully received!

Siennasun Mon 27-Jul-15 15:47:26

Went to Rome earlier in the year. The best, and by far the cheapest place we ate was Roscioli, on a side street off Vittorio Emmanuale. It's a bakery but has tables. it was very busy, no tourists except us, so go early for lunch or get takeaway.
You order at the counter get a ticket, take it to the till to pay then they give you your food when it's been heated.
The service is a bit brusque but they were sweet with DS.
We got suppli (like arancini), 2 slices of pizza, a large portion of baked pasta and 3 drinks for about €10.
smile

Leo35 Mon 27-Jul-15 20:13:03

Thank you Siennasun. Is it Panificio Roscioli near the Vittoro Emmanuale park/square? Food and prices sound right up our street!

We are ridiculously excited about our trip, and really hoping that it all works out as it's our first city break with them. I'm planning on doing the open top bus tour as I do love a bus tour of a city!

Siennasun Mon 27-Jul-15 21:15:55

Yes that's the one.
We went in winter but if I was going in summer I wouldn't bother with restaurants for lunch and just have picnics in the park. Villa Borgese is lovely and there's loads of nice things for kids to do there (Playground, lake with boats, carousel, etc. Don't eat in the cafe/restaurant in the middle of the park though - it was really bad!
We went to Explora, the children's museum which is near villa Borghese - DS loved it! He didn't want to leave. There's also a really nice and cheap cafe just down the road from the museum. I can't remember the name of it but it's on the other side of the road from Explora, towards the park.
I think the bus tour would be good - I would have done that if it'd been warmer when we were there. We did go for a ride around on the tram, which was fun.
Before we went everyone said Rome is not very child-friendly, but I didn't find that at all - I think it's great for kids smile

flashheartscanoe Tue 28-Jul-15 20:53:39

Book the Colosseum underground tour before you go. We did this last year and felt like royalty.
I can't link but search TripAdvisor Colosseum underground tour.

MyHovercraftIsFullOfEels Tue 28-Jul-15 23:13:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Leo35 Wed 29-Jul-15 11:04:47

DSs would love a steak dinner (carnivores to the marrow, despite me wafting veg at them at every meal). Good location as well.

I've heard from a couple of sources that a guided tour of Colosseum is well worth the money. I think that we will go for that as a highlight, and keep other visits a bit shorter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now